DRM & DVD's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FlBillsfan, Feb 25, 2009.

1. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    This is not exactly related to Direct TV, but I have noticed my local Walmart has stopped carrying all DVD Recorders. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with new DRM integration.

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Most of the recorders I saw in the past had NTSC tuners in them. Perhaps with the DTV transition that was supposed to happen completely a week or so ago, they decided they werent that viable anymore. I have yet to see any with ATSC tuners in them

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Nearly all DVD recorders with tuners which were made in the past couple of years have ATSC and QAM tuners. I have ones from 2007 and 2008 with digital tuners. Since DVD recorders use analog inputs, they aren't affect by the DRM that plagues HDMI. So they still work fine with DirecTV.

I think the problem of disappearing DVD recorders has more to do with dwindling marketshare due to the popularity of DVR's. Toshiba is the only brand I know of with new DVD recorder models this year. DVD recorders are also more complicated to use and less reliable than DVR's, which also hurts the market.

The philips/magnavox HDD/DVD model walmart carries (or carried in some cases) in stores is still available online AFAIK. My local walmart still has plenty. It's the best one on the market today. If you don't need a HDD, go for a panasonic or toshiba. In any case, hurry up and get one while you still can.

4. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    While standalone DVD recorders are disappearing faster than your friendly neighborhood bank, it's darn near impossible to find a computer - even a low-priced one - that doesn't include a DVD recorder drive. One reason may be that programs are available (illegally) that allow copying of a DVD, which you can't do easily on a standalone.

5. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    My Walmart has Magnavox and several other brands on the shelf. They have a ton of different models on-line.