1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Droids and iPhone 4 Specs Head to Head

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Marlin Guy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1 of 28
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  2. Jun 8, 2010 #2 of 28
    Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23 AllStar

Oct 14, 2008
    yes this a nice comparison. I am still lost on how Job's said "This is the biggest jump we made since iPhone 1st Gen". There is nothing this phone has that Droid Incredible, Nexus One or EVO don't have. In my opinion the lack of battery expansion and memory expansion is an issue. I have the Moto Droid and believe it is much better than any of the iPhone out there now or even the 4G.

3. Jun 8, 2010 #3 of 28
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Soon to be obsolete though as there are a few Droid phones coming out in the next couple of months... which may even out-spec the Incredible and iPhone 4.

~Alan

4. Jun 8, 2010 #4 of 28
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Jobs is just playing in his own sandbox filled with the dust the other smartphones are leaving behind. The iphone4 is not a big jump in smartphones, just a jump from the first Apple ican't phone to the 4.

5. Jun 8, 2010 #5 of 28
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    But it is getting to the point of diminishing returns. Specs are one thing, real life operation is another, the differences/improvements will be getting harder to see.

6. Jun 8, 2010 #6 of 28
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    So true. So even if my new computer can open a program 25% faster than my previous one, I am not going to notice that .5 second difference. I used to upgrade my computers when the current fastest processor speed was 3 times what I had. This progression lasted many years. (5.77>16>90>266>933>2.8)

At this point, I don't even care anymore as it will be fast enough to do what I want and cost 10% of what that first IBM XT cost.

7. Jun 8, 2010 #7 of 28
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Yeah. I guess I should have clarified that the chart deals with currently available models. :rolleyes:

You can always wait a couple of months and get something better, faster, cooler. I waited 6 months before ordering the Incredible.

8. Jun 8, 2010 #8 of 28
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    According to leaked pics, one of the newest Droid phones (Xtreme) looks to have HD video recording (ala iPhone 4), and possibly a front-facing camera among other things.

To me, the HD video recording is a VERY cool feature... particularly if it works as good as Engadget seemed to think the iPhone 4's HD video recording worked.

The HD video recording I mentioned above would make me wait at least a month, though I'm VERY anxious to see what the Droid being released in August will be like. :)

~Alan

9. Jun 8, 2010 #9 of 28
    redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    The screen is the biggest improvement and is something that you can physically see. And there is a distinct difference in the speed of the iPhone 3G vs iPhone 3GS vs iPad (which should be similar to the iPhone 4 as they share the same processor)

10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    For me its a no brainer. There is no 3G service here for AT&T but there is for Verizon. I will never carry a iPhone without 3G service in my main coverage area I spend most of my time. The Moto Droid is awesome. I can only imagine about the Droid Incredible. Its still a matter of what works best for you. Not just coverage but features and what not. I will also say that Android having an open source for their apps is very nice.

11. Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23 AllStar

Oct 14, 2008
    The EVO records in HD now. 4G iPhone is late to the game as HTC beat them to it. HD2 plays video in HD something the others dont. But the Next Droid rumors are heating up and looking good by the specs. I now can't wait for the Dual Core Snap dragon processor.

12. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I viewed a sample of the 720p video the other day.
    It looked like bad video in 720P.
    The whole HD video on a phone thing is a bit ridiculous.

If you're going to shoot HD video, and you want truly good quality, then buy a decent camcorder.

13. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yes, but the EVO is only available via Sprint according to the sheet above. Given that AT&T and Verizon are the biggest wireless providers, the fact that EVO had it first may not matter to someone with Verizon or AT&T.

I live in an area where Verizon and Alltel are my only decent (contract) provider choices. The EVO would not be an option for me... but the upcoming Droid with HD video will in fact be an option for me. :)

~Alan

14. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I have the Moto Droid (got it on release day), coworkers have just gotten the Incredible.

My niggles and irritations:
    1. Sense UI. While I appreciate that HTC has been in the skinning business for quite some time, it's positively irritating that it's SO different from other Android devices. This also leads to...

2. OS updates. Because of the Sense UI, they're incapable of just dropping a new version of Android on the phone. Meanwhile, I've already upgraded my Droid to Froyo 2.2. Way ahead of schedule (and not for the faint of heart). That kind of update is only ever going to emerge as a back channel hack, the likes of which I've been playing with for months on my Droid.

3. Camera sticks out from the back. I swear, it's gonna break.

4. Sort of from Sense UI but it's vaguely different: the HTC onscreen keyboard is odd, different, a change...pick your poison, I dislike it. I dislike the default Android keyboard, too. I always install Swype as soon as possible.

5. Widget ridiculousness. So many weird, useless widgets.

6. No SD card included in the box. I appreciate 8GB on board, but my Droid came with a 16. The least you could do is 8 on board and 8 in a chip.

Uh. Yeah. Sorry. That's a lot of stuff. :rolleyes:

Otherwise it's a hot piece of hardware. Screen's gorgeous. Very fast. I like it. If I could pull the Sense UI off of it, I'd be even happier. As it is, I'm sticking with the skinless Droid.

15. Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23 AllStar

Oct 14, 2008
    Here you go problem solved for your network issue.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/06/0...megapixel-camera-with-hd-video-recording.html

16. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    All in the chart are nice phones. IMO it just comes down to user preference.

The hardware, specs, and features are there on all of them.

17. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    RasputinAXP... you can install a different launcher for your DROID. This will replace HTC Sense... and work much faster...example ADW Launcher works great! Much faster and more response then Sense.

18. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008

Hey, I'm not interface-challenged, I'm running stock Froyo 2.2 with an overclocked kernel on my Moto Droid.

19. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    I don't think comparing the ipad to any smartphone is relevant, totally unrelated products with different purposes. However the new smart phones are replacing the laptop just on the convenience and portability factor, but still lack the full capabilities of the laptop. I do use my Nexus1 more than I use my laptop.

20. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I didn't read his post that way at all.
    He was merely using the ipad's processor speed as a compatible reference to the new iphone.