Dropped DTV - Update

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ratoren, Mar 12, 2020.

1. ratoren

ratoren AllStar

Dec 28, 2005
    My two year price guarantee expired in September, and DTV wouldn't match the price. So I dropped and went full streaming. ATT Uverse increased in price as there wasn't a bundle, so just yesterday, moved to Cox Cable internet, with a great 2-year promotion (150M speed for $50/month). I know people say that one can't expect constant price matching with any provider, but if they want to retain customers, they MUST match price, rather than screw their long-time customer base.

Streaming is GREAT - excellent ultra hi def picture, no lag, multiple TVs, etc. Got youtubetv, as I'm too far from the broadcast stations, which is just better than anything I've had with DTV (or Uverse or ATT before that). With a couple of teens streaming all the time, we use 500gb a month, no where near the 1tb ceiling limit.

So $50/month for internet, $50/month youtubetv - much much better than ATT/DTV. I can't stress enough how much better it is than ATT. For anyone disappointed with ATT, DTV, or their services, but are hesitant about taking the streaming plunge, its well worth it!!!

By the way, just looking through my files, my internet bill with ATT (SBC back in 1998) was $40/month for 384K speeds.

2. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    In 1998, I was paying that for a second phone line to dial in using a 56k baud modem. Now, I get 1 gbps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Remember paying that for a 2nd line to dial up the BBSs!

4. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    How about finding a VT100 emulator for your C64 so you can dial in the school's Vax at 300 baud between games of Jumpman?

5. BigCTM

BigCTM Cool Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I tried YouTube tv and stayed with DirecTV for now since they just offered me $60 off for 12 more months. My bill is right at $50/month with multiple TVs. I don't like the 9 month DVR restriction. I have almost 20 movies on my DVR from the past several years that I will watch eventually. I had about 40 at one time. Lol...

6. p47d

p47d Cool Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Couldn't resist...
    Well, while you were at home playing "games" I was working at DEC....playing games and building some real computers. 300 baud was good but when we went to 1200 baud modems, that was the bomb. I still have my map of Dungeon. Dame game took me about 6 months to figure out. Of course, no graphics, just text lines. As for DEC, it was a blast working there. I have a lot of memories from that era. Saw the birth of the PC firsthand.

p47d

wmb likes this.
  7. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    It wasn't all games. There were some thermo projects involved. That said, I could never get past the dam in Zork.

I dated a girl I met using the phone on the Vax.

In grad school in the late 80s, I knew a guy that had a second hand PDP 11 in his room.