1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dropping Fox network channels?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DFDureiko, Aug 27, 2012.

1. DFDureiko

DFDureiko Godfather

Feb 20, 2006
    I understand dish network will be dropping all FOX Channel September 30? Here's my question I'm in a contract. In it I contracted to watch Fox channels, therefore they have broken the contract correct? and I can cancel?
    I would have done so when they drop AMC, but I did not subscribe to that channel.....with only 2 sat providers in the country I cannot imagine why dish seems to be committing suicide!

2. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    I hadn't heard that, but they are in contract negotiations with a Company called Sinclair that owns various local stations (some fox, some not) They were supposed to go dark on August 16th, but there was a last minute 2 week extension until August 30th. If this is what you are referring to, channels lost would depend on your area. In the Salt Lake DMA for instance, the Sinclair station is CBS not Fox that would be lost if you have Dish. There is a link to this story on the front page of this site.

Hope this helps.

3. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Didn't Dish just ink a deal with FOX, or it that up for renewal again?

4. DFDureiko

DFDureiko Godfather

Feb 20, 2006
    I got a call from a friend in Michigan that said they were dropping all the Fox channels she didn't say it right, I thought she meant all fox apparently it must be the fox affiliate that would be in Byron Michigan.... so if this is true, back to my original question if they contracted for Fox local when the they obtained their contract and they're now dropped by dish that mean just broke the contract???

5. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    programming subject to change, and dish really means it...

6. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Could this tie in wihe BTN, as it is 49% owned by FOX?

Of course, if all the local FOX, FOX Sports, National Geographic, National Georgraphic Wild, FX, FXM/FOX Movie Channel, FOX Business and FOX News get dropped, what may start as a trickle leaving DISH for greener patures because of dropping BTN and AMC, could become a flood.

7. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Of course you can cancel. Any contract can be breached by any party at any time. It is not a crime. You can also walk away from your one-year apartment lease after six months. It is just a question of what remedy the non-breaching party will seek. Dish will probably charge you the early termination fee. You can fight them on that and see what happens.

8. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    with the pending dispute with Big Ten Network, let's see what other channels could possibly be in dispute with Dish owned by Fox that weren't affected by the dispute in October 2010

the following channels could be in the Big Ten Network Dispute or soon to be in a separate dispute soon:
    Nat Geo Wild, Fox News, Fox Business Channel, Speed, Fox Socccer Channel and Fox Soccer Channel Plus, Fox Movie Channel/FXM, Nat Geo Mundo

and two channels that could affect it, Fox College Sports and MundoFox (national HD Feed for the Spanish language packages).

so these are the remaining Fox/News Corporation owned channels to be possibly facing a dispute between now and 2014.

9. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    How about a link to some of the news regarding this. I'd like to know if this is just the Sinclair situation or something additional.

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    The direct answer to the question is, in no way can you claim your contract was broken because of losing a channel or even a few channels. Programming is not promised, in fact specifically is not promised in the contract.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    OP's question just proves they haven't actually READ the contract.

12. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Programing is subject to change means Dish can drop whatever they want, the contract you have is still in force. You leave because programing was dropped, means you broke the contract and will be charged the early termination fee.

13. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    True and most people don't. The contracts are usually one sided anyway. Dish's contract basically says we can do anything we want including dropping all channels and just sending a test tone and you have no recourse in the contract.

14. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
  15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    We just got National Georgraphic Wild earlier this year. Your friend is wrong.

16. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Is this whole discussion based on rumors or is it the Sinclair situation?

17. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Rumors.

18. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    actually, we had Nat Geo Wild since April 19, 2010, according to Wikipedia. it replaced the now defunct Fox Reality Channel. so it's was two years ago, not we just got it, i think you are confusing it with Nat Geo Mundo, which launched last year.

19. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Just to make sure everything here is clear, Fox can only "ink deals" regarding its owned and operated local channels. Nothing Fox signs with Dish takes care of affiliates owned by others. In fact, Fox last year told their affiliates that to keep the affiliation the affiliate must pay Fox monthly $1 per cable/channel subscriber which the affiliates must now get from the cable and satellite companies on top of anything the affiliate might need to survive. Some station owners told Fox to stuff it and dropped their affiliation.

In the case of your friend in Byron, Michigan, in my post in the Sinclair may pull locals from Dish on 8/16 thread you'll note that the Flint, Michigan, Fox affiliate is a Sinclair-owned station. And you'll note that Sinclair owns 19 Fox affiliates around the country.

Anyone with a Sinclair affiliate, which involves more than just Fox stations, should be following that thread.

20. renpar61

renpar61 Legend

Aug 5, 2006
    Is Fox Soccer going to be dropped too?

Also, in the past 2 years I was able to watch most of AC Milan Serie A games.
    This year it looks like they are not showing any Serie A. Does anyone know if Fox terminated their contract to show Italian soccer?
    If this is the case I can restructure my package as I have no interest in FSC anymore.