1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dropping support for standard definition receivers?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tcernuto, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 #1 of 56
    tcernuto

tcernuto New Member

May 6, 2011
    I have now been contacted several times by Dish, phone calls and letters, saying I need to upgrade my standard definition receivers to HD by the end of the year. When I asked why, i was told that in 2012 they will stop broadcasting channels in Standard Definition and that my receivers would be obsolete. The upgrade would be free for me, and they would set me up with multi-room DVR. The new receivers would still support standard def TVs.

Last year I was also contacted about upgrading to a DVR in general, and ended up purchasing a multiroom DVR. Since this unit is purchased, it wil not be upgraded as part of this offer.

Any insight into this?

2. May 6, 2011 #2 of 56
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    From your location it looks like MPEG4 is affecting you.

3. May 6, 2011 #3 of 56
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Maybe initially, but you'll get sacked with new monthly fees.

4. May 6, 2011 #4 of 56
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Only if you upgrade as part of the transition. Like for like the monthly fee is the same between SD and HD versions.

5. May 6, 2011 #5 of 56
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    :welcome_s

I have two owned 508's stored in a closet as they are old out-of-date technology. For those in the Eastern Arc (EA) satellite area with no line of sight to the satellites at 110° and further west, they would be useless bricks because they are MPEG2 boxes. The EA satellites transmit MPEG4 streams.

For those in the Western Arc area, they would still work for SD signals. But even HD in MPEG4 is "old" state-of-the-art, as the early adopters are demanding 3-D. I'm not, but some are.

The insight? You're equipment is out-of-date and at some point Dish won't support it. If you were posting here from a Windows 95 computer, it too would be out-of-date and Microsoft doesn't support it.

Since they are offering you a "free" upgrade, if you want more free advice here post the details of the offer. Many here will share their experiences.

6. May 6, 2011 #6 of 56
    gpollock87

gpollock87 Legend

Apr 13, 2011
    they better be getting an hd feed for some channels i watch that are sd first

7. May 6, 2011 #7 of 56
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As I understand it, in the EA they are feeding SD channels with an MPEG4 stream.

Perhaps my previous post is misleading. Let me clarify:
    • While the ViP boxes are MPEG4 enabled, they still handle MPEG2. The old MPEG2 boxes can't handle MPEG4.
    • While the WA satellites transmit MPEG4 HD, they still offer MPEG2 signals.
    • The EA transmits both HD and SD, using MPEG4 streams.
    • It appears that Dish has a long term plan to put most "east" locals on the EA, which means people need boxes with MPEG4 capability.
    Simply put, if you haven't already upgraded, upgrading should be at least a flicker in the one's thoughts about Dish. And probably you can't do any better than a free upgrade offer as indicated in the original post.

8. May 6, 2011 #8 of 56
    gpollock87

gpollock87 Legend

Apr 13, 2011
    ah ok

9. May 6, 2011 #9 of 56
    MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi Tcernuto, I apologize for the confusion surrounding the contacts you have been receiving from Dish Network. Dish Network has not plans to stop SD feeds. We have a lot of customer with MPEG2 SD receivers. We have been attempting to migrate customers in certain locations, East Coast & Alaska for example to our Eastern Arc Satellites (72,77, & 61.5). This move would require HD equipment (MPEG4) only but can still support SD. When doing this type of migration, we do switch out all MPEG2 receivers. Any purchased SD receivers would be disbaled on the account and replaced with leased HD receivers.
    If there are any specific questions about your account, please PM me your account info and I will happy to review your account for you. Thank you!:)

***Correction*** Alaska and Hawaii are being installed with MPEG4 (HD receievers) only but are NOT being migrated to the Eastern Arc. I explained that incorrectly. Thank you "The Rat Patrol" for calling that to my attention!

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's very VERY bad process ! Ppl will lost they investments in those OWNED SD receivers and DVRs.

11. MaryB@DishNetwork

Jan 18, 2011
    The receivers can be sold to anyone on a Western Arc Install. They will be obsolete on the Eastern Arc.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Well, then please explain your the words:
    Is that means owned receivers/DVRs must be surrended to dish ?

13. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    No Mary did not say anything about surrendering to DISH. She just said they would be deactivated because they won't work on EA MPEG4. If the owner wants to sell them to a WA customer they are free to do so.:):):)

14. MaryB@DishNetwork

Jan 18, 2011
    Customers are advised at the time of upgrade that "XXX receiver belongs to you, you are not required to return it but may give it to the technician to remove if you choose." Any active MPEG2 SD receivers will be replaced in the home with leased HD receivers as part of the Dishing It Up promotion.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Thnak you for the clarification, Mary.

16. MaryB@DishNetwork

Jan 18, 2011
    You are welcome! That is what we are here for. Please, always ask any questions you have!! Have a great night!!:)

17. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Why would Dish not replace the receiver and let the cutomer own it? After all the customer may have paid several hundred of dollars for there receiver and Dish expects you the cutomer to eat the cost. Sounds like a very unfair business practice to me. Or you say it is the customers job to try and sell it to some one on the western arc. Perhaps this is not a very bright idea of Dishes. Yes I know you are trading it out for free. Still, I feel you should let the customer own the traded out receiver free and clear. It is not the customers fault that Dish is demanding a trade out of the receiver. If I had paid hundreds of dollars for a receiver and Dish told me either rent a free replacement that belongs to Dish now or no TV. I would first tell Dish they needed to give me the receiver free and clear or I would complain to my state attorney generals office and let them handle the case with the complaint I filed against Dish. Some are going to say, yes but they replaced your box for free, the other side it is a customer owned box to start with not a rental box that is being replaced.:nono2::nono2::nono2:

18. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005

This is exactly why, after owning my receivers for many years, I decided to lease when I replaced them with 622s. Technology changes rapidly. Paying the high price 622s were originally selling for didn't make sense if the receiver might be obsolete in a few years. I've been very happy with my lease decision. [OTOH, Comcast wants $36/yr to lease a cable modem I can buy for $70. Lease in that instance made no sense, although most of their customers blindly do it.]

19. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Ditto - lease the TV boxes - buy the internet modem. Only thing that buying Satellite boxes does for you now is eliminate the upfront commitment - or if you want more than 3 boxes from Dish.

20. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I consider it an insurance plan. I've had a bunch of modems fry themselves. I swear it's not my fault. They'll replace it at the local Comcast center.