1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drugs=Terrorism?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by John Corn, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 5, 2002 #1 of 24
    John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    You've all seen that stupid commerical saying that if you buy drugs youre a terrorist, right?

Basically it has a bunch of teenagers giving common reasons for why they can use drugs....i.e "It's my body", "It's only fun", "I'm not hurting anyone", etc, but it has them interlaced with statements such as "I helped kill a judge", "I blew up a building", "I kidnapped someone's father", and so on. Then a message comes on the screen stating "Drug Money supports terror. If you buy drugs, you might too."

This commercial is stupid for a number of reasons.

First of all, its relying on the terrible tragedy of 9/11 as a vehicle for pushing other non-related issues to the forefront of American conscience, in an effort to associate the War on Drugs with patriotism and pride. This is taking advantage of the misfortune that happened and cheapening it into an advertising tool.

Secondly, it's highly ineffective. What teenager is going to watch this commerical and then decide, "You know what? I'm not gonna go smoke pot with my friends tonight. I don't wanna mistakenly fund any terrorism operations"? None.

Ths brings me to my next point. This is just another last ditch effort from the completely failing War on Drugs. It just doesn't work. The government pumps more money into the War on Drugs than it does to Education, yet the War on Drugs continues to fail as the Education system continues to falter when it should be receiving the budget allocations that are being given to the War on Drugs. America as a country needs to evaluate the situation and come to the correct conclusion that the War on Drugs just doesn't work and abandon it before it has even more of a negative effect on the rest of our lives.

Lastly, the commercial is deceptive and borderline incorrect. While it is true that countries such as Afghanistan recieve a majority of their money from opium fields and poppy seeds, the commercial is not geared towards your serious crack junkie or coke addict. The people shown in the commercial making the statements are people likely to smoke pot with their friends. They're pimply faced teenagers shown in the commercial, not hardcore drug addicts. People who go buy pot in their neighberhood from guys named Ganja and Jesse are not funneling money to terroist plans, they're funneling money to Ganja and jesse's videogame plans. The only drug money that supports terror is that which comes from your hardcore heroin junkies and such, and I don't believe people who live that sort of lifestyle are going to stop it on a dime because some commercial said it would be American to do so.

This commercial is poorly though out, propagandous, deceptive, and another gleaming example of wasted money that is continually pumped into the War on Drugs.

2. Jun 5, 2002 #2 of 24
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The commercial should have had Politicians saying things like:
    I passed a law outlawing cocaine to save the children
    I Made the penalties for pocession of marijuana a felony to protect the CHIL-dren
    and so forth interlaced with the drug king pins saying the things they said on the commercial.

The drug money would not be an issue if it were a legal trade! 80 years ago, this was tried with alcohol and it did nothing but create people like Al Capone and other organized crime in the U.S. The current drug was is no different! Legalize most drugs. Sell them in stores (state stores if you wish) tax the hell out of them. Then use HALF the money and resources being spent on the drug wars on social programs related to drug abuse.

I don't know how many here have been to The Netherlands. But it's a very nice country. Many drugs are legal there. Instead of spending money enforcing unenfoceable laws, they spend LESS than half the money on helping the real problem...the addict.

I don't know if the U.S. will ever see the light.

See ya
    Tony

3. Jun 5, 2002 #3 of 24
    Martyva

Martyva Guest DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    And the fact that drugs are a problem, in large part, was caused in various times and in many ways, both direct and indirect, by our federal government.

4. Jun 5, 2002 #4 of 24
    arjay

arjay AllStar

May 30, 2002
    I agree you. However the war on drugs is not likely to be ended until liberals are once again voted into office.

Right now Republicans are conservative and Democrats are in the mooshy middle. No matter who wins there won't be many liberals in sight!

Those favoring the war on drugs have beliefs bordering on the religious as regards to the issue. A version of morality to be imposed on society for it's own good. Logic isn't usually effective when confronting such beliefs. :shrug:

5. Jun 5, 2002 #5 of 24
    arjay

arjay AllStar

May 30, 2002
    Many violent drug crimes are caused by the fact that drugs are a commodity and present laws don't allow for taking disputes about contracts for and distribution of that commodity to the court system. The present drug control system causes violent crimes which are then used to justify the existence of the present drug control system.

6. Jun 5, 2002 #6 of 24
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    You would be MUCH more likely to see this happen under a Libertarian than a Democrat.

7. Jun 5, 2002 #7 of 24
    lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    I don't smoke pot but I imagine many many teenagers when one of these commercials comes on, grabbing a pipe or rollin one up and lighting up ala the old "Hi Bob" parties. "Hi Bob" was where you would watch Bob Newhart and take a drink every time someone said Hi Bob.

8. Jun 5, 2002 #8 of 24
    arjay

arjay AllStar

May 30, 2002
    Agreed.

Democrats can get elected even if not many are liberals anymore and won't do anything significant about drug policies.

Libertarians and Greens (the currently fashionable left alternative) would change the drug laws but don't stand a snowman's chance of being elected to a majority.

(Pssst.

We'll just havta' sneak out back like we've always done.

Jus' kidden'.) :lol:

9. Jun 5, 2002 #9 of 24
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Exactly. In Cincinnati in 2000 there were absolutely NO murders that did not involve drugs or domestic situations. I forgot the exact numbers, but it worked out that over 60% of the murders in Cincinnati in 2000 were drug related (i.e. Deals gone bad, or known dealers killed). Street justice took over.

See ya
    Tony

10. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    You've all seen that stupid commerical saying that if you buy drugs youre a terrorist, right?

Nope. I seen a commercial where if you buy drugs you're supporting terrorist.

First of all, its relying on the terrible tragedy of 9/11 as a vehicle for pushing other non-related issues to the forefront of American conscience, in an effort to associate the War on Drugs with patriotism and pride. This is taking advantage of the misfortune that happened and cheapening it into an advertising tool.

Well... you're just as likely to fund them when you buy a gallon of gas.

Ths brings me to my next point. This is just another last ditch effort from the completely failing War on Drugs. It just doesn't work. The government pumps more money into the War on Drugs than it does to Education, yet the War on Drugs continues to fail as the Education system continues to falter when it should be receiving the budget allocations that are being given to the War on Drugs. America as a country needs to evaluate the situation and come to the correct conclusion that the War on Drugs just doesn't work and abandon it before it has even more of a negative effect on the rest of our lives.

The war on drugs won't work as long as the government keeps importing them in. A mistake you made in the above is assuming that more money equals better education and that's as crazy as believing in evolution.

So if you buy drugs or oil you support terrorism brought to you by the CIA and the Bush family.

11. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    RE: "Well... you're just as likely to fund them when you buy a gallon of gas."

Stop that! You're making me agree with you. :ewww:

:nono: :nono: :nono:

:sure: :sure: :sure:

12. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually, a conservative Republican president, Richard Nixon, began a program of drug rehabilitation centers. Then another conservative Republican president, Ronald Reagan, cut the guts out of drug rehab and began the (just so no one misunderstands) <sarcasm mode on> really effective <sarcasm mode off> "Just Say No" campaign. Now it is virtually impossible to get somebody into a drug rehab program. We just send them to prison, where drugs are readily available. Even there (or perhaps especially there), where drug usage is predominate, drug rehab programs are virtually non-existent.

It is true that have a high failure rate. For most first timers. It very often takes three or four go-arounds before they truly kick. So would you rather send somebody to prison at $30,000 or so per year, or would you rather help that person get rid of their problem and become a productive citizen?

13. Ryan

Ryan Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Th Drug War is a federally subsidized job program. Just think about how many people are directly or indirectly employed in this effort to incarcerate as many citizens as possible, especially minorities.

Obviously the law enforcement people, but also attorneys, judges, technology companies providing surveillance equipment, bullet-proof vests, infared technology,etc, construction jobs building prisons, people at the DEA, IRS, Customs, etc that handle the seized properties, cops who talk to kids about D.A.R.E, etc. It also provides lots of covert and overt operations for our military.

Plus all the companies that benefit from keeping even hemp illegal, such as the petroleum industry, chemical industry and timber/paper industry.

Until people realize that the Drug War isn't about really about drugs, it will be very difficult to envoke any changes.

14. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    Prisons and incarceration is “our” defense against sending everything to China to be made. The prison population is slave labor and you'll see it get much worst very soon IMO.

15. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Michael Moore (love to quote him) Has a great idea in his book "Downsize this". Take a whole factory, and close it down. And make it sooo hard for the laid off workers that they turn to a life a crime. Take the old factory, turn it into a prison, send the former workers (now prisoners) to the old factory. Very soon you can have that factory turning out what it used to turn out but only pay the former workers/now prisoners 20 cents an hour. :nono:

16. arjay

arjay AllStar

May 30, 2002
    Throw everyone in prison at birth. A life sentence with the possibility of parole. If they shape up and are absolutely perfect after 20 years let them out on supervised probation for 5 years or so. Then they will be productive members of society and can decide who else to let out.

17. bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    Oil=Terrorism

All the Hajackers on those planes were from Saudi Arabia.

18. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I know we will have to agree to disagree here, but I have seen so many old "friends" go through rehab and never have it stick that I have no faith in that merry go round. The rehab was not only for drugs. I had one friend who went to rehab for alcohol addiction at least four times. He ultimately "cured" himself when he died of alcohol poisoning. This was a total waste of a tremendous talent. I have seen numerous others that I had met when I was in the music business who went the same way with harder drugs. I would say that for most (all) of them a stay in a federal prison for a while with strong probation terms and follow up would be better than the "cure" that they eventually found on their own.

19. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    quote: "Oil=Terrorism
    All the Hajackers on those planes were from Saudi Arabia."

Drill in the Alaska wilderness and cut the terrorists off.

20. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    If I recall correctly, another conservative Republican was in favor of legalization. That would be the former Governor of Arizona, Barry Goldwater. Then again, he had strong libertarian leanings, as do I in MANY issues, just not this one. I have seen too many people waste their lives to back legalization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.