Dsl connected to deca

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GiantsFan383, Nov 11, 2011.

1. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    I have a DSL line connected to my deca. I know its slower than broadband. Would I still be able to utilize the on demand content?

Thanks
    Carlos

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    DSL is broadband, it's simply a matter of how fast your DSL is. To avoid confusion, your DSL line is connected to a DSL Modem. The DSL modem is connected to your router. Your router is connected to the DECA.

(some providers combine the modem and router)

BTW, I have DSL @ 6 megabit/sec, and on demand works fine.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I also have DSL at around 6mb, and on demand is great.
    Use your computer to check your DSL speed. Just go to speakeasy.net or one of the other internet speed test sites; post back when you have a result.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I also have DSL at 6MB/sec....is IS broadband....where is this misconception coming from?

Is it one of the new fandangled 30M fiber from UVerse or FIOS that like .000001% of the population can get....no, but it is definitely broadband...

Back to the point, Directv on Demand works just fine, its not real time, like cable, but none of the On Demand from satellite is real-time, due to its different delivery system.

5. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    my connection varies for 284 kbps to 847 kbps. i have 3 modems and all 3 that i am testing have varied speeds. I am far from the central office, but i should at least be getting a decent speed says up to 1.5. its a verizon 7500 westell modem. There definetely is something wrong i cant figure it out

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What is the speed of your service?
    With AT&T, if I'm within 20%, they "don't care", so my 5 Mb/s on my 6 Mb/s service was well within this..

7. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    The speed is capped at 1.5 mbps. Is that decent enough?

I was told thats the highest i can get in my area because i live far from the central office.

I am getting 832 kbps as we speak right now. IT CHANGES

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With those speeds, I'd either setup OnDemand to download overnight, and/or not try HD programs.
    SD is about 3 Mb/s [one min download for 1 min of show] and HD is about 7 Mb/s, which on yours, could be eight hours [or more] for one hour of show.

9. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    Ok thanks i figured i would get dsl because they work with directv's bundle package and the cable over here is comcast and i dont want them i guess i will have to put up with it

10. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    One thing you might consider is that advertised speeds and actual speeds vary a lot. One way to see get some information about the speed you are really getting is to go to: http://speedtest.net/