1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dsl to Cable

Discussion in 'The OT' started by GiantsFan383, Jan 10, 2012.

1. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    I went to Comcast just for cable internet today. What a difference!

Verizon DSL for me was horrible i wasnt even getting a meg

Dont like going to Comcast but thats the only fastest internet I have here

So far so good

2. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Go GIANTS!!! I'm a huge fan and cannot wait for the green bay game to start.

Sorry not related to your post but had to comment on your avatar.

3. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Well, I can relate to the thread topic, but I won't let that deter me from saying "GO GIANTS!!!".

Now about DSL vs. Cable for Internet, going back to DSL after being with TWCs Roadrunner for almost two years would be like going back to dial-up. I wish DirecTV had an equivalent option for HSI.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Dsl is certainly dependent on several factors, but personally, I'd rather have DSL from my phone company than Time Warner. If they didn't start to offer fiber, I'd probably be on DSL. but then I'm two blocks from the CO.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    DSL/U-verse/cable the only thing that really matters [to me] is price, speed, and how well the service is managed.
    This thread seemed to have been started by someone with crappy managed DSL.
    I moved from cable that was the worst managed system I've had in 15 years of cable modem service, to DSL and on to U-verse, "that currently" are managed well and priced competitively with comcrap.

6. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    DSL speed is governed by distance from the local office. Farther out, slower speed.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes and no.
    Yes the distance over twisted pair affects the speed.
    No it isn't always to the local office, but instead can be to the remote repeater or where it changes to fiber.

Cable & DSL each have their strong & weak points, which basically comes down to the copper leg to the home.
    Cable using coax has distance over DSL, but shares bandwidth.
    DSL using twisted pair suffers over distance, but doesn't share bandwidth.

When either are managed well, they limit the number of users so there is enough bandwidth for them. With cable it's done at the fiber node, and with DSL it's the number of lines connected to the fiber.

9. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I could've said endpoint but I didn't feel like splitting hairs.

10. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006

11. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I went from Frontier (formerly Verizon) back to Comcast (formerly Adelphia) about a year ago. I had Adelphia when they began service back in 2002? and it was awesome. Fiber to the node system so I shared a fiber link with about 125 other homes. No slowdown in speeds at night and service was solid as a rock.

The Comcast took over in 2006. The problem was Adelphia built a system. Time Warner got half and Comcast got half. But TW got the half with the headend. So the Comcast half got some weird routing and service went to hell. Slowdowns and going offline were common. So I called Verizon and had DSL hooked up. It was fine for browsing and the occasional download as my speeds were 3.0/1.0 and I got 2.7/.9. The Verizon sold out to Frontier and my problems started all over again. Service would go out and stay out for a couple of hours a couple of times a month.

So I finally got tired of it and after talking to a neighbor who had Comcast and being assured the problems had been fixed (they also had the service since the Adelphia days and had experienced the rough patch as well), I ordered.

Could not be more pleased. Service has been so rock solid, I dropped my Frontier phone line and went to Vonage (usually use a cell anyway). Please my speeds went way up. Getting 10/2 or so. The key for me is I have a good router (Airport Extreme) and my neighbor has a higher end Netgear. One of our other neighbors has a cheap router and his service is not as solid.

12. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    Yeah i defenitely had crappy managed DSL. I was also very far from central office but the verizon sales dept didnt care. They told me oh you will be fine. The tech comes out and say I'm surprised your getting 764 mbps. I couldn't even watch a you tube video without it buffering.

13. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    My equivalent was Verizon DSL. I would have loved for it to work out but it was so bad. I am ending up the pay a couple dollars more becasue I only have comcast for internet and they get you for having only 1 service but its not that bad. They asked me to get the television and phone and I said heck no Directv is my tv provider period.

14. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    Go Giants !!!!

Hopefully we beat up aaron rodgers nicely with our front 4

15. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Mentor

Jan 1, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    BTW, speaking of Fiber, many phone companies are rolling out VDSL, which uses fiber (unlike ADSL which uses copper). We have CenturyLink VDSL.

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Please stay on topic. We already have a thread for the NFL. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2938872#post2938872

As for DSL vs. cable, I had to leave AT&T and switch to the dark side and get Road Runner this year. I will say the speed is almost 4x as fast and was within a couple bucks of DSL.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe VDSL uses both fiber and copper. Fiber to the node, copper to the premises, like Uverse.

My phone company has both models, I have fiber to my house, but they have mostly switched to FTTN.

18. bikenski

bikenski Cool Member

May 25, 2010
    Six months ago I went the opposite direction, moving back to DSL from cable. Throughout the years I have probably switched back and forth half a dozen times as the providers leapfrogged each other.

The most recent switch was due to the phone company installing a VDSL2 node across the street, and offering 40 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up service for a decent price.

Old school ADSL can't compete with the latest DOCSIS3 cable offerings, but newer VDSL2 technology (especially with bonded pairs) certainly can. You just have to live in a neighborhood that has been upgraded...

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True, though there also is a point of diminishing return. I can theoretically get 50 or 100mbps, but how often can you actually download that fast?

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I then to think this is where "management" comes in.
    A new service has few customers at first, so there's bandwidth to spare.
    Marketing signs up customers, over and over. At some point the service provider starts to "play the numbers", where not every customer will use "their" full bandwidth all the time, "so" marketing gets to keep signing up customers, though not everyone will actually get the service they signed up for.
    "At some point", the provider has to invest more into the system to increase/return "customer bandwidth".

This was exactly what happened to my last cable company.
    First, they were the only broadband supplier.
    Next they sold the "mom & pop" to another company.
    Then the speed was increased from 1 Mb/s to 3 Mb/s [woo hoo].
    Next came another sale of the service. Their bean counters looked at all the customers.
    By this time VOD had come out and I couldn't get sh!t through them, unless it was 2 AM.
    Using the speed tests that they'd shown me, I could map the number of users/bandwidth available by time of day. I could even tell when my neighbors went to church Sunday morning [no joke here].
    They had sold their service to over 500 customers all running off the same node. :eek2: :nono2:
    My last couple of days with them had an SD VOD taking over 14 hours.
    AT&T had just brought DSL in so I "tried them", and never looked back.
    3 or 4 years later the cable was finally running more fiber down my street to split the node.