DSWM30 issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Eric S., Feb 13, 2019.

1. Eric S.

Eric S. New Member

Feb 13, 2019
    So here is the scenario. Troubleshooting a 776 error in 2 rms in a hotel with a DRE basic system.
    This hotel is fed by DSWM30's. This is not a homerun system, but a riser system using SWM taps in the rooms on each riser. That's the basics.
    It is a 6 story hotel with 10 rooms on the riser I'm working on. These 10 rooms are fed off of 1 leg of the DSWM30. Everything is great on floors 2, 3, 4, and 5. I am getting the error on the 6th floor on the last 2 rooms of the riser.
    Connected my AIM in the problem rooms, and it shows 8 receivers connected, with 7 SWM channels available...like it should. These are H25 receivers, by the way. I know that I should be able to connect 13 on each leg, but I'm still getting the error.
    I reset the DSWM30, but no help. I unplugged each receiver on every floor, except for 1 room which I could not access on the 3rd floor due to a guest. Then, I checked the available SWM channels on the 6th floor in my problem rooms and it only showed the 1 receiver that was still connected, with 14 channels available.
    I next plugged in the receivers on the 6th floor, but the same 776 error persisted. Reconnected all of the others on that riser and they are fine, like before.
    I have tested the levels in the problem rooms and they are great. Did an all available satellite transponder test in the room and the signals look great.
    I tried a replacement receiver and it did the same exact thing.
    What the heck am I missing?

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Can you swap-out the DSWM-30 on the 6th floor for either a new one or with one on the other floors to see if the same problem follows that multiswitch to another floor?

Error 776 normally means an oversubscribed SWiM, but that 6th flr. DSWM-30 may be defective and not properly assigning SWiM channels to all the receivers requesting them. Which an affected receiver interprets as no available channels.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Uh, why does checking the available SWM channels on the 6th floor show a receiver connected on the third floor? How do you have things wired?

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Nah . ...

I think what he's saying is that in an effort to isolate the issue at some point he simply tried disconnecting all the receivers in the entire hotel installation except for one in a room on the 3rd floor. Which he couldn't get to because of a guest in that room.

Then he started fresh by first re-connecting the receivers on the problematic 6th floor.

The wiring appears to be the standard DRE topology from the ODU and ancillary equipment to six coax trunk (riser type) lines running through a six line tap for each floor as the backbone distribution.

Then the six tap-down ports of each multiline tap feeds a DSWM-30. The DSWM-30's outputs then are distributed to each room on a floor using "loop-thru" topology with individual single line taps to feed each room from the main bus.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

5. Eric S.

Eric S. New Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Correct.

6. Eric S.

Eric S. New Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Coming off the port 1 of the DSWM30, the cable goes to a room on floor 2 via a tap in that room, which the output of goes to the adjacent room on the 2nd floor, then the output of that tap goes to floor 3 rm which has a tap that goes to the adjacent room in floor 3, then to 4, 5, and finally floor 6.
    It was showing one receiver on the line because it was in a room that I did not have access to.
    Have not tried another DSWM30. Seems if that was the issue, that it would have assigned a channel to the rooms on floor 6, since I reconnected them first, but it did not.

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If it isn't assigning a channel to the receivers on the 6th floor, maybe the SWM channel commands from those receivers are not reaching the DSWM30? Just as an experiment, try bypassing a couple of the taps on the 2nd or 3rd floor (where they are high value) and see if that changes anything on the 6th floor. Though I'd try another DSWM30 first, just in case it is that simple.

8. Eric S.

Eric S. New Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Actually did try removing a few taps and barreling the input to the output. Even though the high value taps have the same throughput loss as a low value for the most part.
    But, Happy Days! Found the simple solution after working with another tech and calling other techs, and searching google on my phone. After trying 2 more spares we discovered that the receivers were not set up correctly for the DRE system. Had to use the remote to get into the "hidden menu", which is the basic setup menu you would see on an H25 in an SMATV rack system. Anyhow, had to change tuner 1 setting from manual to automatic, recheck the SWM on the menu, and voila! It started it's download and all is good.
    Installers never bothered showing anyone here how to do it and the Chief Engineer was on the support number for 2 hours before I went out there, and they never suggested this. Just told him to replace the receiver.
    Anyhow, thanks for all of your ideas. I've been reading these posts for a year or two when I'm searching something out, so I figured I may as well join.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If you could share how to get into the hidden menu and post pictures of that screens, it would benefit other installers like you !

10. Eric S.

Eric S. New Member

Feb 13, 2019
    P Smith likes this.