DTivo-er considering switch to 522

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Ray_Clum, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 1, 2005 #1 of 26
    Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Now that the 522 has NBR and a wishlist type feature (if I'm remembering correctly), I'm considering getting Dish through SBC to go along with long distance & DSL. My question is how reliable and robust is the NBR and the wishlist feature (i.e. missed shows or special length shows caught)?

2. Apr 1, 2005 #2 of 26
    reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    Anything is better than the Tivo.

3. Apr 1, 2005 #3 of 26
    Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Also, with the unit set in dual mode (controlling two different TV's), can you watch recordings set on one TV/Tuner on the other TV?

4. Apr 1, 2005 #4 of 26
    maximum

maximum Mentor

Jun 23, 2004
    Yes since all programs recorded share the same hard drive. From what I've heard this is the main advantage the 522 has over Tivo. I haven't heard of any other dual tuner DVR with dual outputs.

5. Apr 1, 2005 #5 of 26
    Racerx

Racerx AllStar

Dec 4, 2004
    Yep, that was the selling point, for me. I love my 522, even though it drives me nuts, with bugs, on an almost daily basis.

6. Apr 1, 2005 #6 of 26
    Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Now that TiVo is testing pop-up ads I also am seriously considering dropping my DirecTV TiVo for a DISH 522. Several of my neighbors have them and they love them. One thing that I have noticed when playing with my neighbor's 522 is that is considerably faster than my TiVo (guide and now playing list).

7. Apr 1, 2005 #7 of 26
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If you like TiVo you will hate 522 if like redice you think TiVo is terrible you deserve the 522, you will love the bugs.

8. Apr 1, 2005 #8 of 26
    lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    Scientific Atlanta and Motorola both make a quad tuner with multiple outputs for cable systems.

9. Apr 1, 2005 #9 of 26
    Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Boba,

I have several neighbors (four) with 522s. NONE of them are having any serious bug problems.

I think this is just more of your unjustifiable DISH bashing that you getting well known for.

And talk about bashing -- just wait until TiVo fully rolls out its "no skip pop ups". You are going to see a LOT of TiVo bashing on this and other forums. It will be interesting to see how dealers like you defend them.

10. Racerx

Racerx AllStar

Dec 4, 2004
    Well, I don't Dish bash, I am saying that the 522 is rife with bugs. I have to deal with them, constantly, and I am a former, disgruntled Directv customer.

11. geobernd

geobernd Mentor

Nov 4, 2004
    From my experience: DTivo and 522 are no comparison at this point. I have Dish and DirecTV (neither alone has all the channels I like). The DTivo is rock solid - no hickups - no missed recordings.
    The 522 is so so... Missed recordings, hickups, pixelation... Also NBR is not equivalent to the season passes/wishlists on Tivo. NBR is Name Based. DTivo's guide uses Series IDs (numeric Identifiers) that work much more reliable if a show changes...
    I was tempted to switch to the 522 completely but could not part with my DTivos and the reliability.
    Yes - the Tivo Guide is slower, reordering Season Passes is slow - but I don't do that often. I usually have everything set and just check every couple of month.... Also the automatic conflict resolution with the dual tuners on the Tivo is working better than on the 522....

12. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    It's best to just ignore boba entirely. He's the resident DISH-hater and 99.9% of everything he says is bashing DISH. He does it here and on satelliteguys.us as well. He also has absolutely no idea how to separate sentences using punctuation.

I have a 522 and love it.

13. geobernd

geobernd Mentor

Nov 4, 2004
    Let me add a bit to my previous comment (after thinking a little more).

It might depend on how you watch TV.

The DTivo lends itself much better for the planning TV viewer - setting up season passes and never having to worry about them. Rarely watching live TV and making spontaneous shedule changes.
    The 522 wins if you watch more live TV (e.g. longer live buffer) - want to quickly schedule shows from the guide - so the more compulsive TV viewer is probably better served by the 522...

Again - just my opinion...

Woudl I be happy with either if I didn't know the other: yes

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    On the flip side it's best to ignore reddice since he's a D* hater.

As mentioned earlier, D* hardware works, E* has issue. I think a good indication is the number of threads/posts in the two providers DVR sections of this site. E* DVR has 3,176 threads and 36,621 posts. D* has 1,028 and 7,386.

15. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    As a person who has both systems I would agree that E* systems tend to have more "issues" than D* systems but having said that D* systems are FAR from perfect and E* systems as not nearly as bad as some people make them out to be.

What bothers me a lot about these forums is that some dealers and other posters bash DISH every chance they have. This is unfair (and a bit dishonest if you ask me) and really doesn't reflect the true state of affairs. DISH equipment is very reliable for most people and it is just sad that some people don't have enough integrity to post the complete truth.

16. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    That's an indication of nothing. You'll note that there is a similar difference in the main DirecTV and DISH Network forums. If you factor in the number of posts for the Voom forum, I guess that means Voom is basically perfect (1933 posts vs 22486 and 85666). Taking something out of context is never an indication of anything. Who is to say that difference is based on problems? Maybe it's based on popularity or raves or any number of different things. I can take your post out of context and make it look like whatever I want. Something like this:

"I think a good indication is the number of threads/posts in the two providers DVR sections of this site. E* DVR has 3,176 threads and 36,621 posts. D* has 1,028 and 7,386." Guess that means the DISH Network DVRs are more popular and, therefore, better. Since no one ever posts about DirecTV DVRs, they must be really crappy and no one is using them. That's not a logical argument and neither is yours.

See how this works?

17. tds4182

tds4182 Legend

Jul 17, 2003

I do agree with you that it's possible to "twist" almost any quote/set of facts to fit your particular bias or viewpoint.

Having said that, I think it's also fair to point out that the posts re the E* DVRs do tend to be more critical of the unit(s) than do the posts re the D* Tivos. This seems to be true in all the various DBS forums (DBS Talk, SatelliteGuys, AVS Forum, etc.)

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I do believe this observation to be accurate.

Everyone should buy & enjoy whatever fits their needs best!

18. astrotrf

astrotrf Legend

Apr 4, 2004
    You and RAD both have good points. D* has more customers, but they post less. Why? It's an indication that there may be problems with E*, as RAD says, but the raw numbers alone aren't definitive, as you point out.

The thing to do is to take a quick scan of the threads to see what they're talking about.

On the D* side, threads tend to be about TiVo or programming or how to do tricks with the remote to activate hidden features. Once in a while, there's a bug thread.

On the E* side, there's a bit of talk about programming and other things, but REAMS AND REAMS of threads and posts about bugs.

It was, in fact, this analysis that finally overcame my inertia against switching from E* to D*.

Now I have both, and they're each good for different things. But the D* machines are rock-solid while the E* machines are riddled with bugs, both minor and major.

On the upside, the time I spend Eldon-bashing provides some of my most pleasant moments! :D

Terry

19. Racerx

Racerx AllStar

Dec 4, 2004
    As I stated earlier, I WAS a D* customer, until thier customer service screwed me around ( the actual service, or hardware quality was never an issue). I got mad, and switched to E*. Since I have switched to E*, I have had no problems with customer service, and the features are great, but their hardware is sheer crap! EVERY DAY, I am cussing out their 522, for one reason or another, because of bugs and glitches.
    Since I have been a customer of BOTH, and have had the opportunity to compare, and they both have their weak points. However, what you have to deal with, on a constant, daily basis, is the hardware, and the E* hardware, IMO, just doesn't cut the mustard, and, in alot of ways, I kinda wish I'd just stayed with D*. Take those comments however you wish, but that is my, honest opinion.

20. N7OR

N7OR New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, I guarantee you that my 522 has serious audio/video synchronization problems. I'm not bashing or cheerleading anybody. All of your neighbors that have bug free 522's are either clueless or just will not admit to making a mistake by choosing a 522. The latest software upgrade made absolutely no improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.