DTV Bundle vs. AT&T TV Bundle Pricing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerM, Jan 13, 2020.

1. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I was comparing the cost of those bundles right now with DTV and Internet bundling discounts and if AT&T charged $7 a month for extra streams, the DTV bundle is cheaper then the AT&T TV bundle when the AT&T TV bundling discount runs out. If current DTV customers have bundling discounts I wonder how they would get customers to switch to AT&T TV?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    They won't. Those of us with a current SAT sub, will most likely stay with it. They are trying to capture those who want streaming but don't want to lose the perks of having a premium channel lineup.

3. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    i don't know how there gonna stay competitive with AT&T t.v. i asked about it the rep told me the first box was free and that extra boxes will cost you. she wasn't clear if that was up front to buy or to mirror the service for more than one stream. i know there gonna charge to mirror the service that's a given... the rep also told me that there is a contract with AT&T t.v. as well. i think i am smelling a failure. since one can buy an apple t.v. or a roku box and be done with it

4. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I just did a check of the costs right now if you order AT&T TV vs. DirecTV, whether as a standalone service or bundled with AT&T Fiber broadband service. For TV, I used the Entertainment package, the least expensive mainstream channel package on both AT&T TV and DTV right now, with DVR service. (It does not include RSNs, so there are no additional programming fees to add.) For internet, I used the cheapest tier on AT&T Fiber, the symmetrical 100 Mbps package. I checked pricing with service to 1 TV vs. 2 TVs vs. 3 TVs. (Actually, AT&T TV automatically comes with simultaneous service to any 3 screens but I assumed that the subscriber with multiple TVs would want to purchase additional AT&T TV streaming boxes rather than use their own device such a Fire TV on their secondary TV(s).)

As you can see, the price differences right now between AT&T TV and DTV are marginal. The only real savings that AT&T TV offers right now are to be had in the second year and after, and only if you have more than 1 TV. That's because after the first year, you've paid off the $120 price of your additional AT&T TV streaming boxes (at $10 per month). Meanwhile, the $7 per TV that you'll pay to extend DirecTV service to additional TVs never goes away.

(These monthly prices do not include any taxes but are net of all AT&T-imposed service and hardware fees as well as any promotional or bundling discounts.)

ATT TV v DTV pricing.jpeg

5. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I guess one way to get DTV customers to switch over would be to tell them you can get the latest equipment with AT&T TV? If they aren’t going to make any new DTV equipment, how much longer could they keep refurbishing the current DTV equipment? Would DTV customers find out they could send out anymore HR-24’s and they only get Mini’s as replacements would customers like that? Or could they still keep making the HS-17/C61k for a long time?

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    My questions would be around those additional TVs. For Satellite, it's clear you need some sort of box to get the service (or the smart TV app, which I believe it still a billable charge). For their OTT service, are you going to need 3 boxes, and if so, is it rented or actually paid off in a year like you suggest? I'm not clear on that. Now, if eventually there is some sort of app that you can use for your non-primary TVs, then yes, I can see a savings there and some sort of reason to switch. Otherwise, to save about $4 (and that assumes you get a gift card, not a given for current customers.....the problem I'm having switching to cable, since I am currently use them for ISP, no "new customer" deals...it just doesn't make sense. Plus we already know what we are getting with Satellite. Jury's out on any new system.

7. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Here's what I can tell you based on the stated information at ATT.com. AT&T TV comes with one free streaming box. Whether or not you actually use it, it appears that you must set it up and keep it connected to your home network via either ethernet or wifi. For no additional charge, you can stream on up to 3 screens at the same time, using any combination of AT&T streaming boxes, mobile devices, and your own Apple TVs, Fire TVs and Rokus (although these TV-connected devices must be on the same local network as your AT&T TV box). So if you're OK using the AT&T TV app on your own devices, there's no additional charge to get service for a 2nd and 3rd TV with AT&T TV.

In the year 1 figures I calculated above, I included the cost of *buying* additional AT&T TV boxes. They do not rent those boxes. They only give them away and sell them. When you sign up, you have the option of buying up to five additional boxes (for a total of six), although you're still currently limited to three simultaneous streams across all devices. The way they charge for these additional purchased boxes is to add a charge of $10 per box per month for the first twelve months of service. After that, the charge comes off your bill.

I have no idea what kind of first-year discounts on the monthly rates, or up-front promo gift cards, you might receive as a current DTV customer trying to switch to AT&T TV. All of the prices I ran are based on the fact that I'm not currently a subscriber to any AT&T service.

Steveknj likes this.
  8. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    If you look at the first wave of marketing materials for AT&T TV, they do prominently feature their own box (the C71) with its large number of apps, Google Assistant, voice remote, etc. The Genie, OTOH, is looking pretty outdated. But, who knows, maybe we'll see them begin deploying the C71 as a replacement for the C61 Genie Mini for use with the Genie 2 (HS17).

Reasons to potentially switch from DTV to AT&T TV:
    • more modern STB (the C71)
    • ability to save money on service to secondary TVs by using an app on your own devices (and/or by buying, not renting, additional boxes from AT&T)
    • full TV service (live channels, cloud DVR, on demand) available anywhere you have an internet connection on your mobile device
    • cloud DVR has the ability to record an unlimited number of simultaneous channels with no tuner conflicts
    • 500 hours of whole-home (actually, whole-nation) DVR storage
    • possibly better HD picture quality?
    • no rain fade
    Reasons to stick with DTV instead of AT&T TV:
    • DTV is a known quantity in terms of reliability while AT&T TV is not (especially if your broadband provider is not AT&T)
    • AT&T TV does not (yet) have any PBS stations and may be missing one of your other major locals too
    • DVR recordings with DTV can be retained indefinitely but are automatically deleted after 90 days on AT&T TV's cloud DVR
    • streaming from AT&T TV may cause you to incur additional data charges if you have a broadband data cap. (If you have both AT&T TV and AT&T Internet/Fiber, you do not have a data cap.)
    • DTV offers certain sports channels/packages (e.g. NFL Network) that AT&T TV currently does not

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    and ATT TV has no 4K and Directv has no theoretical simultaneous viewing limit like ATT TV

NashGuy, longhorn23 and MysteryMan like this.
  10. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    So I’ve seen this repeated now a few times that you need to take the box (it’s free) and keep it powered on and connected to your home network, but you don’t have to use it. And it just makes me scratch my head and wonder why. Is it their attempt to somehow increase the “friction” involved in switching to another provider? In other words do they think that by you having a box that you may have to send back you will be less likely to switch to another streaming provider. Or is their some technical reason. It just seems strange and unduly complicated. They would be the only live tv streaming service that I am aware of that requires a provider specific box of some sort. I can’t really understand why they even want to go to the trouble of having their own box as a requirement (I might get it as an option that can do things the typical streaming device can’t do, like channel numbers and channel up/down). Do they actually think they can produce a technically superior streaming box then say Apple or Nvidia?...seriously...LOL. The little I have seen of this device sure seems like it isn’t even better than the current ATV 4k and that has been in the market for some time now and I’m guessing Apple already has its follow on in the wings. Clearly folks that already understand streaming and streaming devices aren’t the target market but isn’t that a rapidly declining population...I guess I’m just not as smart as the AT&T “executives”.

11. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    The AT&T TV box has the Android TV Operators Tier and that allows it to be like DTV than just using the standard Android TV. When you turn the box on it automatically boots into live TV. Plus gives you the same DTV channel numbers. I don’t think you need to have it on all time to be connected to the network. When you turn it on I think it would automatically connect to your network.

12. Jamie

Jamie New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    I’m curious to know if att tv will have the Preferred Xtra package as on Directv.

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    It doesnt even have the same channels baby steps

14. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    AT&T TV doesn’t have the shopping, infomercial, the channels paying to be on DTV and P/I channels.

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    not the channels I am referring to

16. BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    South Florida
    If you don't need to use the box for TV's #2 and #3 then how are you supposed to enter the channel numbers on the att tv screen/ or use the guide ? Or what about switching back and forth between channels ?

The Apple TV and Roku remotes don't have a numerical keyboard or keys for other features that are unique to the satellite remote.

17. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    The AT&T TV Device is built around the AT&T TV service and is optimized for it. Since AT&T TV assigns its channels numbers its remote is reflective of that.

If you want to use AT&T TV service on any other device than the AT&T TV Device (like Apple TV) you will change the channel the same way as AT&T TV Now customers since they use the same AT&T TV app on all devices.

NashGuy and BigRedFan like this.
  18. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Tivo just announced their new Android TV dongle. The remote has channel numbers. I think AT&T TV should have the option to turn the channel numbers on and off on other devices. Then you could use a universal remote with it.

BigRedFan likes this.
  19. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    The three streams limit is a killer. There are 5 people living here and often there are that many TVs going at once. If I could purchase that second box and get an additional 3 streams, I could manage. Or will they offer some way to purchase additional streams? I guess more to follow.

compnurd likes this.
  20. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Nashguy told me that playing back a recording from the cloud DVR takes up a stream but recording from the cloud DVR doesn’t.