1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Cinema resolution?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by FussyBob, Nov 18, 2018.

1. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    I notice if I watch Cinema (Watch Now) movies the resolution is only 720P. If I chose the same movie fron the guide it is 1080P. Why is the Watch Now movie choice at a lesser resolution?

These Watch Now movies seem to be prerecorded on my HD, is this correct? In the past, last year and prior, all the Watch Now movies were 1080P. It's not a big deal, but I now need to set up to record it later, than select Watch Now if I want immediate viewing, for the 1080P.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I guess that's why I got a 720p movie when I clicked on an icon that clearly said "1080p". First time I've gone to any on-demand content in years, did it just to see what was available, and was disappointed.

Rich

3. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    This isn't the On-Demand "download/streaming" movies. The Watch Now movies seem preloaded by DTV on my set top box hard disk. There are currently 53 of them listed as banners between channels 125 and 126. Maybe DTV uses the 720P resolution to save taking up my precious HD space. I'm NOT too keen on them using that all space for 53 movies. 10 current movies will be more resonable.

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Not all of the banners are already on your hard drive, only the ones with the green play button and have a "Play" option instead of a "Record" option when you view the info were pushed to the reserved space on your hard drive that also contains things like local ads and showcases for channel 1999. The rest of them require an internet download, so selecting "Watch Now" only delivers them at 720p, and selecting "record" gives you an option of higher quality at 1080p (or 1080i depending on the movie) or faster download at 720p.

You can also see them indicated with a green play button under their posters in the "What's On Now" folder on channel 1100, for me they list the following:
    55Steps
    All the Devil's Men
    Alpha
    Black Panther
    Blackkklansman
    Christopher Robin
    Incredibles 2
    Jonathan
    Juliet, Naked
    Just Married
    Leave No Trace
    Mile 22
    Ocean's 8
    Speed Kills
    The Children Act
    The Darkest Minds
    The Equalizer
    The Legend of Hallowaiian
    The Long Dumb Road
    The Meg
    The Spy Who Dumped Me
    Welcome Home
    X-Men: Apocalypse

Your list may vary since it depends if your tuners were already in use when they were scheduled to be pushed.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  5. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I have a ton of those “watch now” movies listed. No way these are already downloaded and taking up space on my hard drive. I have 93% on a 4TB drive available, and I have quite a few of my own recordings already on disk.

6. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    Thanks!

Your reply makes it all clear. In the past there were many Watch Now movies on the HD for immediate viewing that were 1080P. Things change.

I never went to channel 1100 and now see the green play buttons plus some indicate 1080P. So all is good for me know. Thanks again!

KyL416 likes this.
  7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How many do you have with the green play button?

And they are not recorded to the space that is denoted by the % indicator. They are in the reserved section which is roughly 10% of your hard drive, or in your case around 400gigs which is around 100 hours of shows, granted there’s other stuff stored there too... but Stock genie drives that’s 25 to 30 hours of space which with the other stuff probably equates to around 10 to 15 movies by the time all is said and done. Must also remember that these pushed movies will be highly optimized compression wise.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    or simply over compressed

9. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I am not in front of my DVR right now, but I don’t believe any of the listings had a green play button. Since I still have over 90% free space, I am not concerned, just curious.

10. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    I just watched Mission Impossible - Fallout. This was the movie (Watch Now) stored on my hard drive. It was 1080P.

This has got to be the worse image quality in the history of DTV!. The reviews have stated that the movie was shot mostly on film, and that it was grainy in dark scenes.

Well with the intense DTV compression, it was super horrible on my bedroom 40" SONY. I can't imagine how bad this looks on a 75" screen

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We have that movie on iTunes and it looks pretty good. I tried one of those movies on D* the other day. It had a 1080p label on it but only played in 720p, which was awful and that ended my urge to see what D* had to offer.

Rich

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The 1080p icon only means the it's available in 1080p, not that every option to view it will give you 1080p.

Like mentioned earlier in the thread, in order to get 1080p for internet downloads, you have to select record and if you are presented an option, select higher quality instead of faster download. Selecting "Watch Now" only gives you 720p unless it has the green icon to indicate that it was already pushed to your hard drive. If the connection between you, your ISP, their backbone providers, and their servers is good enough, you should still be able to watch it as soon as it appears in your playlist.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  13. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    It was definitely 1080P as my SONY TV indicated the signal it was receiving is 1080, 24P. I use a HR22 STB and both 1080 lights were lit to indicate 1080P.
    On channel 1100 the movie was listed with a green ICON and also showed 1080P instead of HD which most of those movies on 1100 indicate. There are some other movies with the green ICON also stating 1080P.

14. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    I was replying to Rich who said he only got 720p on a program with a 1080p icon.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think I was in the same place. I never use on demand and I just picked one movie that I didn't have to pay for. Only other time I've used on demand for a movie was to compare a D* movie to a BD. That was Australia and I saw little difference between the PPV movie and the BD.

Rich