1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV doesn't want my HR20 back?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ToBeFrank, Jul 25, 2013.

1. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    I'm upgrading my two DVRs (HR20 and HR22) to a Genie system. This will be a self install. The CSR on the phone told me they only want the HR22 back. What am I supposed to do with the HR20? Will I need to do anything to make sure I'm not getting charged for it?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, check your bill! You may also want to make sure it's deactivated a day after the installer leaves.
    via a phone call when you activate your new DVRs.

Mine, I keep in a back shelf. Still a very workable unit, and I may want OTA someday and not want to buy an AM21. But you can donate it to the local recycler, if you wish.

3. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    I was told pretty much the same thing about my 2 hr21-100's.

4. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    So they really, really don't want it back? As in, if I get rid of it, they won't come back in a year and say, "oh yeah, we want that back now"? I have a small house so I really don't want to have to keep this thing laying around.

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    They really really don't want it back.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'd still keep it around for a couple months to ensure you don't get billed. When I replaced an HR20 last week, the installer took mine because the work order said "replacement" so he had to return with the deactivated unit.

But with a self-install, you shouldn't have that issue.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Hr20s are end of life. If your worried call and check with the access card department one month after you deactivate it. But it's yours now. They don't refurb then anymore.

8. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I would request they send you an email saying they don't want it and make sure they include the serial number of the unit. That way you have proof.

9. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    Here is my experience.. I received a Genie upgrade from a dropship and I was told the same thing. The CSR said DTV did not want my HR-21 back. So I asked if I could just throw out my old boxes and he said yes. Anyways, I held on to the HR-21 and my 2 H-21 and wouldn't you know, 2 weeks later a recovery box shows up on my doorstep with instructions to send back the HR-21. So as suggested I would wait a few months before throwing it away.

10. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    The following does not apply to technician visits:

R15s, HR20s, H20s, and H21s are not recoverable under any circumstances.
    HR21s and HR23s are not recoverable if they died and you were sent a replacement (ERP).
    If you have an HR21 or HR23 that you deactivated because you upgraded to something else or cancelled your account, D* will want it back.

H23s, H24s, H25s, R16s, HR22s and HR24s are always recoverable, as are HR34s and HR44s, C31s and C41s.

No idea on the R22. This is current as of about a week ago. Of course this is subject to change at any time :D

Just make sure it's noted on your account if you're speaking to someone.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The only problem is what DirecTV has in their training manuals or other written guidance, isn't always what they do.

You said "...HR20s not recoverable under any circumstances.... this is current as of about a week ago...." It was one week ago today that the installer took my HR20 that was being replaced by an HR44. I told him it wasn't on 'the list' and that DirecTV didn't want it back. No way he was leaving it. He even call DirecTV and they said he had to recover it since it was a replacement.

12. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I should have put the caveat that this is only when you are shipped an upgrade. If you have an installer come and install something, they will take it back. It doesn't matter if it's a D10. peds48 can explain it better but this has something to do with inventory. If they replace a receiver when on an install (or service call of course) they will take it with them. There is one other time that an HR20 (or H20) may be asked back which is a 3D swap. I will edit my post to state this.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't disagree with what you said, but what actually happens is sometimes the opposite of what should have.

14. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    when my upgrade was done (genie & client) the installer did NOT take my H20 when he left........

three months later i activated it for use in my motor home.

they don't want them back but don't try to sell it because only the original lessor can activate these units!

15. lman

lman Legend

Dec 21, 2006
    I just had an old SD DVR replaced with a HR44. It was probably 10-12 years old. The installer tried to take the SD DVR. My wife wanted to view programs on the DVR and I thought I would try view them later. I convinced the installer that I owned that DVR and that he couldn't have my property and he then left it. I didn't start leasing anything until 2006.

16. CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25 Mentor

Nov 4, 2007
    On a long...
    I upgraded from 1 HR24 and 2 H24s to a Genie HR44, 3 C41s and HR24.

The installer did not take back the 2 H24 units.

Instead, he took their power cords! WTF? :scratch: :scratch:

17. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    Thanks guys. I'll keep it for a month or so and then get rid of it. Out of curiosity, why do they still want the HR22? In my experience, it's just as slow as my HR20.

I have a 1 TB drive attached to the HR20 with lots of programming on it. Will I still be able to view it without the HR20 being activated? I was assuming no, but it would be nice.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If depends how the work order is build. if the work order states that is a "swap" he must take the receiver regardless of model and/or age. once a receiver is swapped, this receiver goes to the tech's inventory and must be return to the warehouse for proper disposal. Now if a receiver is being physically swapped but the work order states "new" as in a new location, then the tech does not have to deactivate that receiver and will be left behind. another example of this is when doing a relocate of an existing receiver to another location with a receiver. this last receiver will be left behind

1 person likes this.
  19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    First you need to get it off the grid before deactivating it, but first do a test or two before deactivating, again, cable disconnected. You'll have to endure some menu nav., but I still have stuff on my HR20 I could get to if I wanted. (I think; it's been over a year, and haven't tried in six months.)

Good luck, and please let us know.

20. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    I guess I hadn't thought of that. If it doesn't have a signal, it can't know it's been deactivated. I'll bet they have some sort of time limit though. Hopefully I'll be able to get caught up on some of my shows.