1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV installer stole meds from me...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by saleen351, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 9, 2009 #1 of 42
    saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Got a new HR23 put in a few weeks back, as we were were putting it in, the shelf above my tv fell, it had a bottle of meds on it.. So me and him cleaned everything up, since everything fell behind the tv where we were working.

So I went looking for them a few weeks after he was here, sure enough, they are gone, gone, gone.. The meds won't do him any good, nothing for recreational use, except 1 pain pill left over from a surgery that was in the bottle mixed in.

Since there was so much time from when I discovered they were gone from when he was here, not much I could do about it. I didn't contact dtv yet, but I'm thinking it's not worth it. Though if I do find his cell number I'm gonna call him and let him know I know he stole them. Dude was ghetto, spoke bad English. Not from another country accent English, just uneducated English. Mumbled each word. You get the point. (trying to be pc)

You'll say, someone else may have taken them etc. Nope, been sitting in the same spot for 2 years, no one comes in my room. Plus like I said, only an idiot would steal them, they are not rec meds.. He didn't have time to read the label.

Should I call DTV or not? At the very least the guy doesn't belong in any one else house, because he's a thief.

2. Mar 9, 2009 #2 of 42
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I doubt he stole them.

3. Mar 9, 2009 #3 of 42
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah all us techs do that. Installing is just the side job, we're all thieves really.

4. Mar 9, 2009 #4 of 42
    miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Didn't work.

5. Mar 9, 2009 #5 of 42
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I always steal the drugs. I put them in my lunch so when the customer's cat hops in the truck for a meal they get a real trip.

Actually there is no way of knowing. I have had work orders that stated "not the same tech" because "the last one was looking in every room."

I do like working the same three counties because you get to know the people. Your kids play with their kids. Your grandfather stole horses with their grandfather...like that.

Joe

6. Mar 9, 2009 #6 of 42
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Isn't it more likely that you misplaced them or threw them out, maybe they inadvertenly got tossed into a box then thrown out or rolled under a different piece of furniture??? I mean, it took you 2 weeks from the install date to miss them, so how can you even be so sure they were there in the first place?

In a situation like this, I'm not even sure how you can accuse the installer in the 1st place....

7. Mar 9, 2009 #7 of 42
    Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    It's a he-said / he-said case. IMO - unless you have proof that they were stolen, you're likely going to be be in for more of a headache than it's worth.

8. Mar 9, 2009 #8 of 42
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    ... and the poor guy doesn't have anything to take for the headache so it's just not worth the trouble!! What a Catch-22.

9. Mar 9, 2009 #9 of 42
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    There are good and bad employees in every business. You have to ask yourself, if this guy did steal worthless meds. Do you want to be the reason he is now unemployed? Or even worse, they don't take your word for it and he shows up for your next service call.
    I would take solace in the fact that if this is his common behavior, someone will catch him with better evidence down the road.

A friend of mine had the cable company in his house one day and he came up shy 3 ps2 games. Actually 4 game boxes and 3 games, one was in the player.

This is why I love having a dish. No one comes inside ever again.

10. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    I liked the one where he used the bathroom then left better.

11. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    :rolleyes::nono2: If a guy is stealing from another guys house, he DOESN'T deserve a job. Directv could be SUED because of this idiot!

With that said, I'd know all the facts before jumping to conclusions. But if the guy did steal drugs, I'd let them know.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Seems like anyone who leaves drugs or guns laying around deserves pretty much everything they get (or lose) as a result.

The happy part is that if the tech did light finger them and is injured as a result, he can bring legal action.

13. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Nice. So the tech pockets a bottle of the same heart meds that he takes, at a customers house, and then swallows the pain med mixed in the bottle. Being highly allergic to pain meds, he grasps his chest and keels over. His family sues the homeowner on the bottle for placing the wrong meds in the bottle.:D

14. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I remember watching over him, but I work from home so I had to take calls in the other room, but I do remember thinking that I should have a webcam going, he wouldn't know and I could protect myself.. I did take my wallet and hide it along with my ipod when he was in room... BTW, this was my bedroom..

I think I"m going to invest in one.. I'm not one of those home alarm freaks, I generally see the good in this world, plus I'm a big guy so most times no one messes with me. So I would hate to webcam someone but lesson learned. He could have stolen more..

At the end of the day, he got 1 perc if he was smart enough to pour the bottle out, which I doubt he did and find it mixed in with the other meds..

Don't treat installers like criminals but use common sense in which I failed to use...

15. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Sorry, I couldn't resist the irony in that. ;)

To answer the questions, I say no, you should not call D* about this. Unless you are willing to file a police report over this, then D* really doesn't need to do anything about it.

16. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    if it took you 3 weeks to notice the meds missing then they are worthless anyway.
    unless you are willing to file a report just chalk it up and move past it.

17. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    It's more liekly that the meds are still in the room in question since you started off stating that the shelf fell during installation and everything on it fell behind the tv from the get go.

Looking under thigns like the tv stand, couch etc might yield a retraction of your statements as well as an apology thread to boot.

As far as doing anything about it if you still can't locate it; you've missed the boat on that one seeing as it was several weeks ago and you're just getting around to "noticing" now....

18. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Yeah I hate white trash rednecks that can't speak too, we have a few of them that somehow got transplaneted here in Ohio, from Kentucky. PA. and West Virginia..... I sure wish they'd put the wheels back on their homes and leave.

19. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    A FEW WEEKS LATER?!? Anything could have happened to those pills. Accusing the DirecTV installer seems like a real stretch!

20. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Now right off I don't think what he did was right.But on the brighter side he just may have done you a favor.Depending on what the medication is(at least on mine) they say right on the bottle to discard after one to two years,because medications do lose their potency and will not achieve the desired effect after one or two years depending what the medications are.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.