1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Intallation Nightmare!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Cavicchi, May 25, 2010.

1. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Let me start from the beginning, I had 2 HR24 and 1 H24 installed last Friday. The tech saw the Dish on my roof and I guess he assumed no adjustment was necessary, because he did not check signal strength. I checked the signal strength after he left and saw 80-80 for SAT 99, so I called DTV and they had the installer come back next day and he adjusted the Dish and tightened some loose bolts. Fine. Problem solved.

They eventually set me up via phone for MRV, and we got it working. I asked for On Demand--I have a network with router--and I was given an installation date for Internet Kit and charged for Install and Kit. Meanwhile, Saturday night I discovered the remote control was not changing TV input. I have two Sony HDTV both same exact model. I called DTV tech support and was told the remote control does not operate TV Input--that must be done with your TV remote. I told her the other remote for other Sony TV same model does work to change the TV Input--she didn't understand how that could be. She offered to send me another remote for $20 dollars. I told her this was all installed on Friday--makes no difference. So, I told her the tech was coming Tuesday and to let him bring the remote, as opposed to DTV mailing it to me--and I requested the PP to avoid spending $20 dollars. OK, now we get the real killer.

The tech came today for Internet and first thing I asked was where is the remote control. He said he didn't have one and asked why I needed one. Long story made short, the original installer did not program the remote correctly and this guy did and I don't need another remote. I am going to skip a bit now, I called DTV because I figured she might have mailed the remote. I was told by DTV that no order was placed for remote--so the girl lied about that and the TV Input thing. She did, however, put me in the PP, and I told the guy to take it off my account after explaining why it was put on.

The installer came with Ethernet cable and I asked him where is the Internet Kit. He said that is not needed. I told him I was being charged for the Internet Kit and DTV said that is how it is installed. He said his supervisor went to school or teaches this in school and knows more than those at DTV. I argued for about 10 minutes and he was certain his supervisor knows because they have done it this way before. OK, I said go ahead. He drilled two holes through floor--one next to router and the other next to DVR on another wall. He hooked up the Ethernet cable and it didn't work. After some more wasted time, he took out the Internet Kit from his truck--and he proceeded to do the install using Internet Kit. Everything worked. So, he left without giving me a copy of the work order--on which I stated what was done--the empty hole drilled through my floor. I called DTV and was told to submit a damage claim to them. I have to first get an estimate and include information in a letter to DTV in Colorado. Below I included a picture of the hole. DTV wants me to get a copy of the work order from Installer. Installer says DTV gets work order. Anyway, I am really pissed there is a hole through my floor because of some jerk who does it his way as opposed to the work order that showed installation with Internet Kit!

Attached Files:

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Get an attorney - seriously.

3. 4120 woodrow ct

4120 woodrow ct AllStar

Oct 12, 2009
    honestly the installers supervisor probably does know more than any of the people you would talk to on the phone at DTV... but the need for the second hole? what was that for....

4. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    That hole was for Ethernet cable: one end to router and the other to back of HR24 Ethernet connection, which caused him to run cable through hole in floor near router into basement and up through the hole near DVR on opposite wall.

The work order was correct, but he was told at the office to do it that way with Ethernet cable.

5. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Well, I am not sure that would be the way to go just yet. DTV told me to submit an estimated cost to fix the hole by someone, along with pictures to their damage claims office in Colorado. I will do that and expect either installer or professional that gives me estimate to fix the hole without cost to me.

However, we all know the floor will never be as it should be, such as before the drilling. I do have carpeting covering the hole--fortunately he didn't drill through the carpet, moved it away before drilling.

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Couple things:

1) Somehow it got out there that the HR24 can bridge the DECA cloud to your network. This, of course, isn't true. I ran into the same issue (minus the holes in the floor).

2) If the hole is under the carpet, why is it such a big deal? I agree that it was not needed, and shouldn't have been done, but it isn't a structural issue, nor a cosmetic issue, so why push it? Seems more trouble than it's worth.

7. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Because it is a hole going through the floor that shouldn't be there. Another thing is DTV should be informed of issues like this and be able to correct the issue. Bottom line for me is I don't like the fact there is a hole through my floor that should not be there--and I paid for this installation.

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Can't argue with that. I certainly wouldn't be happy, but it is a lot of work to file the claim.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Honestly, the repair for a 1/2" hole under the carpet is to squirt some silicone caulking in there and let it dry. While you definitely should complain, because that shouldn't have been done, and the techs clearly need some more training, there isn't a whole lot of "damage."

I *would* send an email to Ellen listing out your issues, noting that they are mostly due to lack of training, and explain your frustrations. You will most likely be compensated with discounted programming worth FAR more to you than what you'd get out of a damage claim, and it would be FAR more likely that the issue would be handled properly, with the involved persons being sent for re-training.

ellen.filipiak@directv.com

10. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Well, that would be an agreeable solution if they did offer me some compensation I felt was satisfactory. When I called to tell them what happened, all I was offered was a discount on a Sports package--but I am not a big baseball fan. I would rather they either gave me a monetary settlement or something with PPV movies, or something else that I could make use of.

Anyway, I will send her an email and see what happens. Thanks!

11. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Well, I was offered $75 dollars--how does that sound to you? Would you accept that as settlement?

12. john1117

john1117 Cool Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Yes, that would work for me.

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    For something I could fix with a $3 tube of silicone? Sure.

14. amorse2183

amorse2183 Legend

May 24, 2006
    Hopefully the OP will never decide to remove the carpet and have a wood floor instead. Then they might be of the opinion there is "damage". Perhaps the OP would get his house appraised to attempt to sell. Random holes in the floors that serve no purpose could be a turn off.

Obviously even if the OP were to go through some kind of legal proceeding it wouldn't result in a million dollar verdict. Most likely not even a thousand dollar verdict. Hell, probably not even a hundred dollar verdict. But that still doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Pictures should be taken, claims filed, and the OP should shout from the rooftops that the installers for Directv are incompetent.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I would expect the installer to squeeze the silicon into the hole to fix the floor TODAY, and the person who drilled the unnecessary hole in my floor to be fired immediately. Training or lack of training, it's unacceptable.

Good luck OP. I hope you get what you want from all this and the hole is repaired to your satisfaction.

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That's the plywood subfloor you're looking at. If the OP removed the carpet, he'd have to install the wood floor over the subfloor and you'd still never know that there was a hole there.

I would be giving different advice if the tech had drilled through an actual wooden floor, of the type designed to be seen, or if the carpet had been damaged.

16. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Way to over react. :nono2:

17. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Having built houses for 15 years, If the OP pulls up his carpet, one tiny hole by the wall plate isn't going to be the only hole he finds.

We drilled holes that size in the subfloor of every house we built when the house is under construction. When the subfloor is up, and the roof isn't.... you have to give the rain somewhere to go.

That hole isn't damage, unnecessary yes, but not damage.

get a life, get off your high horse, and move along.

18. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I've done far worse damage myself installing stuff for customers.

Of course, the solution is to come clean and fix it immediately, or when I have screwed up big time, have a professional do the repair and my company pay the bill, which certainly was not done here.

Heck, one of my employees once totalled a customer's truck. Try that, Cavicchi! :goofygrin

19. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Well, I wouldn't accept $75 dollars for that one! :lol:

Yes, it would have been a better show if DTV made them fix it within a day or two at most as opposed to me filing a claim. Anyway, I did accept their $75 dollar settlement, though I am still not completely happy about the whole thing. If you read my first post in this thread, there were other "issues" I encountered with DTV with first installation and call about remote control. Considering all the time involved with those issues, I think they should have offered me some kind of compensation. I can well understand their "F" rating with BBB. DTV has lots going for them with equipment and programming, but the fall way short on installations and employees who have a lack of information about what they are talking.

I can tell you my Cable company runs rings around DTV when it comes to tech support and installation. However, DTV has the HR24 and some other goodies that wet my appetite and got me to return as a customer.

20. amorse2183

amorse2183 Legend

May 24, 2006
    I guess I'm out of line for expecting work to be done properly the first time. Silly me.

When one of my clients needs legal representation I do the very best I can to make sure the outcome is what they want. If the job isn't to their satisfaction, the only thing that matters is that they were unsatisfied. My excuses or outside influences are meaningless. I am paid for my time to represent a client, so I guess I just expect and demand anyone I'm paying for any service to work as diligently as I would.