1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Issue - Guide Info for Local Channel No Longer Accurate

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Agent0042, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Agent0042

Agent0042 Legend

Feb 29, 2004
    ThinkTV 16-- Dayton, Ohio-- it appears to be showing the listings for a digital subnetwork as:

A.) The program listed in the guide does not match the program that is airing.
    B.) No PBSKids programs are at all are showing in the guide listings, which is obviously inaccurate.

2. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    DirecTV buys their guide data from Tribune Media. People have fround that the most effective strategy is to contact the station and let them know that their guide data is wrong. The station has the power to change the listings with Tribune. If they know their viewers are unhappy, they will have more motivation to get the guide data correct.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Probably when the station turned their analog signal off, they changed the order of their digital channels. Our local PBS did that - 12.1, which used to carry nothing but PBSHD, suddenly started to mirror the old analog OTA schedule, but it took a few days for the guide data to change, as I guess they had submitted it in advance without thinking of the switch.

Contact the station.

4. Agent0042

Agent0042 Legend

Feb 29, 2004
    Thanks, if the problem doesn't clear up soon, I will try contacting the station directly.

5. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    The guide data on a lot of channels (not just local channels) was wrong, as of last night. What is going on? It really screws up recording on a series link.

6. Jon

Jon Legend

Nov 3, 2007
    Contacted channel 16 and they told me they changed their sub-channel listings with all the services. My Pioneer TV correctly found 16.1 on Wednesday so I know at least the TV Guide service has been properly updated.

I contacted DTV and they think we are idiots that just need to re-scan. :nono2:
    I finally have given up trying to convince DTV they have bad guide data. Maybe if enough of us complain they will realize it is at their end and not the users.

John

7. Agent0042

Agent0042 Legend

Feb 29, 2004
    They think we need to rescan?! How moronic can they be?! *Rescanning is for digital TV boxes-- we don't have an option to "rescan" the guide data on our DirecTV*

Oh well, whatever, it doesn't matter. ThinkTV's listings are now showing as correct, at least for me they are.

8. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Although the DVRs don't strictly scan for channels the DirecTV CSRs are not totally off base when they tell you to re-scan (although I'm pretty sure they don't know why). In situations like this it's important that you reset your antenna settings (clearing all off-air information) and then do initial antenna setup again. If you jst do setup without resetting first you can get "left over" PSIP information and things might not work.

9. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    +1 - did this with 2 of our local stations & they got it fixed in a few days.
    I just did the same thing with a 3rd station this past Thursday; we'll see what happens in a few days.

The key thing is, when you talk to the local station, you must emphasize the problem is specifically with the listings they send to Tribune. I have also explained to them they can check out the accuracy of their listings themselves by simply going to zap2it.com - once it gets fixed there, it should be fixed by D* as well.

10. Agent0042

Agent0042 Legend

Feb 29, 2004
    Well, somebody other than me must have contacted 16, or they figured out that something was wrong on their own. Maybe one of their employees has DirecTV. :D In any case, I thank whoever fixed it because I forgot to call them on Friday.

11. Jon

Jon Legend

Nov 3, 2007
    My HR20-100(s) (2 units) still cannot receive 16.1.

What did you do to get 16.1?

Thanks,
    John

12. Agent0042

Agent0042 Legend

Feb 29, 2004
    Not a thing. It simply reappeared. I have DirecTV + DVR.

13. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Try going into "antenna", do a reset of antenna settings (to clear down all the old off-air data) and then do an initial setup of your off-air. That will probably fix things for you.

14. Jon

Jon Legend

Nov 3, 2007
    Did exactly as you stated last night (Reset / Initial Setup) with the same results (16.2 through 16.6 / Should be 16.1 through 16.5). That is why I asked Agent0042 what he specifically did to receive the correct lineup.

Thanks,
    John

15. Agent0042

Agent0042 Legend

Feb 29, 2004
    You can actually get 16.2 through 16.6 on your satellite, though? Because my box only seems to have the ability to pick up one signal from each of the local stations.

16. Carl Newman

Carl Newman Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    We don't do locals off the satellite, so this applies to OTA only. Don't have any idea what the sat channels do.

Talked with a Channel 16 engineer yesterday, after talking to DirecTV. He said the problem was the guide info from Tribune Media Services furnished to DirecTV. He said they had advised Tribune Media Service of their new line-up before Jun 12 , then called them on Jun 17 to tell them they still had not processed the changes. He said TMS takes anywhere from 3 to 7 days to process guide changes, and he'd planned on re-checking Tue or Wed.

I had check Zap2It (a TMS subsidiary) Jun 20 - it still showed 16.2 - 16.6. When I check it yesterday, it had changed to 16.1 - 16.6 (!). I told the engineer this, and he said he'd have to check.

I've reset the off-air antenna 3 or 4 times, and also done the "delete current channels" and re-set OTA 2 times. No luck - still not getting 16.1 in the guide. On the HR21 where I've done the re-sets, I get picture & sound on 16.2 - 16.5, but nothing on 16.6 (771 msg). On the wife's HR21, which has NOT been re-set since the switch, I get picture & sound on 16.3 - 16.6, but nothing on 16.2 (except the 771 msg).

In my conversation with DirecTV (after convincing the CSR I had a "digital capable" outside antenna) he said their contract with WPTD did not include the HD feed after Jun 12, and we wouldn't get it until the contract was re-done. Right.

17. Jon

Jon Legend

Nov 3, 2007
    I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one in Dayton with this issue! Thanks for the info as I've talked to DTV until I'm blue in the face as they are convinced I need to re-scan which I've done everyday since June 12th (in fact, reset / re-scan). I contacted channel 16 and was told they had contacted Tribune prior to the 12th to inform them of the line-up change (16.6 to 16.1). I've also contacted Tribune to inform them of their error but it appears to be in vain as the info has still not been updated as your message indicates.

I guess we are at their mercy and will just have to wait it out.

Thanks for the feedback!

John

18. Jon

Jon Legend

Nov 3, 2007

This applies to Over The Air reception (OTA) via DirecTv's built in ATSC tuners.

DirecTv Equipment: DVR(s) - HR20-100 (2 units)

John

19. Jon

Jon Legend

Nov 3, 2007
    Just a FYI...........................

I re-scanned HR20-100(s) last night and the guide is now correct as I now receive channels 16.1 through 16.5.

Took a while put finally a pay-off! :p Thanks for everyone's help in resolving this DirecTv guide issue! :)

John