DTV Now

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 1953, Feb 22, 2018.

1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Is DTV Now being phased out?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I don't think so. What have you heard???

3. Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Ohio
    I think you have that backwards. All the news article I've read is that they are working to push DTV now over satellite.

I actually plan to suspend my dish service and forego streaming now for a few months to test before actually terminating my DTv dish service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    No. In fact AT&T is in the process of building a box for home streaming of DirecTV Now. They already have their cloud based DVR in Beta. All indications are that AT&T will be pushing their DirecTV Now service while slowly backing off the satellite based service. Based on the responses I read in another thread that I created, I don't see the satellite service going anywhere in the near future, but there will come a point where it no longer makes financial sense to keep it. The debate is how far off that point is. The consensus seems to be at least a decade.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The Uverse TV name is being phased out in favor of the DirecTV Now name, from what I read about this.

6. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    AT&T recently announced that DTV Now has 1.2 million subscribers.

7. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    I was mistaken.

8. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I've posted about this on some other threads around here. AT&T's CEO says they plan to leverage the new streaming platform being built now, in the DTV Now beta, and use it for a new "home-centric" TV service by the end of this year. (He refers to the existing DTV Now product as "mobile-centric".) This new service will come with a thin client STB (i.e. no hard drive) with voice remote. It very much looks like it will be an AT&T-customized version of Android TV (complete with the Google Play Store for apps and content, Google search across multiple OTT services and probably Google Assistant). I say this because there are records online of AT&T working on at least two different Android TV boxes, although one of those may be for use exclusively with satellite TV (or not, we don't know yet). This STB will feature the new DTV user interface that will first debut in the new DTV Now app that will debut this spring (currently in beta). This new UI will eventually roll out across all DTV boxes and apps, eventually including even next-gen satellite STBs.

What we don't know -- and maybe AT&T hasn't even settled on a plan yet -- is how this new "home-centric" service will be branded and presented to consumers. Will it be under the DirecTV Now brand, as just another option to the existing service, e.g. pay an optional extra $5/mo to use any level of DTV Now service with AT&T's dedicated box? Or will it roll out under the main "DirecTV" brand, offering pretty much the same channel packages and pricing as satellite does? Imagine going to directv.com and being greeted on the main page with a banner that says "Choose DirecTV your way: with a dish OR over the 'net". Or maybe it rolls out under some new third brand, like "DirecTV Stream" with packaging, pricing and rules that differ from either satellite or DTV Now. We don't know. But AT&T's CEO has stated that this upcoming service will support 4K and eventually the full range of channels that satellite now offers, even including Sunday Ticket.

Rich likes this.
  9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They can't offer the same channels/packages as Directv's satellite product for an OTT product, because the contracts for OTT delivery are separate. Otherwise they would have been able to offer locals in all markets from day one on Directv Now, instead of having to negotiate separately for them, and why NFLST isn't an option on Directv Now. That's why I think a managed network / intranet delivered version makes sense, if they want to have the "choose Directv your way" option - assuming they have contracts in place with other providers like Centurylink, or a few years in the future when their fixed wireless offering is widespread.

10. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    There's no law that says that contracts for OTT delivery must be separate. I would bet that as AT&T's current contracts for satellite delivery of various channels expire, they will renegotiate/renew those contracts to include both satellite and OTT. Until then, they must create new short-term side contracts with content providers to specifically cover OTT, since OTT was not included in the pre-existing satellite-only (or satellite+U-verse) contracts.

Rich likes this.
  11. Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    I have stuck with Dtv Now for 6 months now. Buffering (hardwired Roku Premiere) was an issue but has improved. Have been in Android and Chrome beta for a few month but those 2 platforms are not the primary way I watch TV. From what experience I have had with beta on Chome and Android it still needs work. Way too many error messages when scheduling recordings. Hell deleting recordings doesn't always work.

Then I got the email about the Roku beta (my primary platform) and got excited until I saw the part about NO DVR. I've used Roku beta and it works. Less buffering these days and picture quality is great. DVR is a big negative though. I use DVR for NASCAR and college football. I use Hulu for next day network shows. I DVR shows on USA, FX, TNT, etc. Right now I use Sling for all of this and it works great but I want Discovery and my wife wants ID. If Directv Now can get their s&$& together I would consider dropping Sling and moving over. They can't seem to get it together though. I picked up Philo for Discovery and ID and it has a DVR and it is only $16. I cancelled Directv Now today. Won't keep paying $35+tax a month for those 2 channels.

Rich likes this.
  12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They can if the contracts say they can and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s been an option in their contracts for a couple years now. Might say something like As long as the new Service mirrors the current sat Service packages and selections. Which would of course be different from the DIRECTV now contracts as those are obviously different as well.

13. Lyncher101

Lyncher101 New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Knew it would only be a matter of time for them to figure out a way to once again charge 'equipment fees' to customers who fled for streaming... The fees are reason #1 I left DTV after 20 years and went with VUE. Hey, maybe they will get crazy and allow streaming customers to BUY these new boxes... OK, please stop laughing...

Rich likes this.
  14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is no law that requires that the same carriage rates be offered regardless of delivery method. I am sure that as contracts renew AT&T|DIRECTV is trying to get the best deal possible and include all delivery methods. But I expect that the content providers are trying to get the best payments that they can get out of the deal.

15. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    OK, now I'm confused. I'm a 20-year Direct TV customer and today I signed up for DIRECT TV NOW (just to try) for $10 x month. I don't find their navigation very easy. I also don't understand why I cannot get ALL of my network programs when they have a library of network programs. What the heck am I missing? For example: ABC (General Hospital) = NONE, NBC (Days of our Lives) = NONE, CBS (Young and the Restless is there but not the Bold and the Beautiful). That means there's probably other shows missing. Why would that be? Now I know you guys aren't interested in these shows but what's happening? When I tried PS Vue about 6 months ago, I could watch everything. What's up with Direct TV NOW??? I mean so far after just one hour I'm regretting it.

16. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I would hope that even AT&T/DirecTV wouldn’t be dumb enough to require a separate, dedicated, STB box just for DirecTV Now. It needs to be an app that is available on the streaming boxes that people already own, AppleTV, Roku, FireTV, Android TV boxes, etc. No way I would install, no less pay an additional monthly fee, for a separate streaming box just for DirecTV, not when the other OTT providers are staying with the “app” model.

17. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    NashGuy likes this.
  18. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    The specs on those boxes, particularly the DirecTV Now box, are spectacularly underwhelming...LOL.

19. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Sure. Both sides will negotiate to try to get the best overall deal they can. But from the perspective of a cable network provider, I really don't care how my signal is being delivered to the viewer -- by satellite, by QAM cable, by managed IPTV, by OTT streaming, or by passenger pigeon -- as long as I'm getting the most money I can get overall.

AT&T has a big advantage in that they've got scale. Something like, what, 25% of all traditional (i.e. linear channel) pay TV subs in the US? A network provider (especially one that depends partially on ad revenue) can't afford NOT to have a deal in place with AT&T. Networks have the upper hand with small OTT newcomers like PS Vue and Hulu Live and they're charging them more per subscriber so that it's still a win for them when someone leaves traditional cable/satellite and switches to an OTT service. But they won't have that kind of advantage when it comes time to renegotiate carriage deals with DirecTV, as I would think that AT&T will want the deals to cover all the different pipes they use to deliver those channels, including OTT. I'm sure networks will still seek an average increase per sub, though. That happens *every* time a contract is up for renewal.

20. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What's wrong, quad core CPU, 2GB RAM and 8GB flash isn't enough for you? What are you expecting to do with them that those specs indicate they cannot, use them as DVRs? Mine bitcoin on them?