DTV PPV question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by krel, May 28, 2020.

1. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    how are ppv movies and events delivered.. are those sent via the sats or are they delivered over the internets like on demand is

2. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I think mostly they're delivered by sat.

Plenty of PPV programming can be downloaded from the net, too.

Many of the PPV selections of "banners" in the guide are preloaded from sat.

(One method I use to tell if banner selections have already been "pushed" is to use the remote's "info" button on the highlighted banner. If "Record" is in the info screen then the DVR would use the net for the selection to be viewed or downloaded.)

Other PPV appear as "normal" selections in the guide, and are transmitted "live" on the sats.

krel likes this.
  3. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    PPV movies on the linear DTV Cinema channels (126-179) are always over satellite so all receivers can get them. The ones labeled CINEHD are HD PPV channels and are 1080p resolution, CINE are SD PPV channels in 480i resolution.

Like @Delroy E Walleye said the "banners" section mostly preloaded from the guide. These preloaded titles will not affect the amount of actual programs you can record to your DVR. If you press INFO on one of the banners like "Onward" for example you may see something like this below the description:

"The program will be deleted if not viewed by Wed 7/1 8:00p"

That means you can watch it without an internet connection via DirecTV Cinema on Demand without Internet until that time.

krel likes this.
  4. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    I remember the controversy when they recorded CINEHD movies to people’s DVR so they could be bought and played “on demand.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krel likes this.
  5. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    Are pre-recorded banner movies on the hard drive less quality (more compression) than the real time sat streaming versions?

I have already seen banner versions that were only 720P and the real time sat streaming ones 1080P

krel likes this.
  6. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I've seen that, too. Also it's disappointing when some are labeled as 1080p that really aren't.

At least you can see the first few minutes before committing payment, which gives enough time to check the resolution.

I've found the quality of the 1080p to be pretty close to blu-ray quality, whether downloaded or pushed from sat.

Some downloadable titles may also have options (lower bandwidth vs picture quality).

Another thing you can do (if you want to save a pre-loaded banner title for viewing later and not have to reload it from the net) is to click on it to play, and don't purchase until you're ready to view.

This "moves" the title instantly into your playlist, and it won't delete until the expiration date.

However, this method will decrease your regular playlist storage percentage until the title is deleted.

krel likes this.