1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV receivers changing resolutions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by eweiner1, Apr 6, 2013.

1. eweiner1

eweiner1 Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    For several months I have noticed that some of my receivers, specifically a HR24-100 and a H21-200 receiver have been changing video settings to 480P when the receivers are set for 1080i and 1080p. Has anyone else experienced this change. Tech support has been useless in explaining why this happens, and their solution is to send a tech to my home to examine my system and suggest solutions. This will be the 3rd time that techs will be visiting me. Nothing seems to work. Just last night I noticed that the HR24-100 was defaulted back to 480p and the H21-100 changed itself to 720p from 1080p.
    Has anyone else experienced this and is there any solution to receivers changing resolution setting by themselves?

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Sometime ago, Directv added a feature to the remote if you hold down Exit, it changes the resolution from HD to SD, 480p. I have done this accidentally myself and changed resolution.

That may explain the 480p settings coming up often. Just press and hold Exit again, and HD will return.

3. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    I'm sure you have checked this already but have you made sure the native mode is off in the menu? If it is the reply above also seems very possible for one of your receivers but it wouldn't set the other to 720.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Also, none of your receivers are ever in 1080p unless you are watching a specific recording that is in 1080p, only certain PPV VOD content is 1080p, nothing else is. The rest of the time it can only be as high as 1080i.

5. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    That's what I was gonna suggest, although as a new returnee to directv I've had many opportunities to play around the menus and noticed that native defaults to off, but you never know.