1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Removing OWN from grandfathered Total Choice Plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by direfan, Mar 15, 2013.

1. direfan

direfan AllStar

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi All,

This is the email I just received from DTV today. Am I the only one who has received it. If not, I am surprised there is no discussion of this issue. This sucks. I am wondering if they will now reduce the package price because of the loss of this channel. This is another way to lose customers. While I don't watch the channel, I hate this move. What is next?

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer. We appreciate your business and would like to provide an important update regarding your grandfathered TOTAL CHOICE™ base package subscription.

Effective the week of April 15, 2013, OWN (the Oprah Winfrey Network) will no longer be available in the TOTAL CHOICE™ base package. OWN will be available on base packages of CHOICE™ and above that are currently available for purchase. OWN is also scheduled to be launched in high definition later this spring. To continue enjoying OWN, there are a number of other base packages currently available if you wish to change base packages. Please note, however, that a change from your grandfathered base package of TOTAL CHOICE™ to a different base package may result in the gain or loss of other channels as not all base packages contain all of the same channels. Please visit directv.com/packages or call 1-800-DIRECTV for more information on what base package may be best for you.

Please know that channel and package changes are difficult decisions we don't take lightly. In our ongoing effort to keep programming costs low and minimize rate increases, on occasion we must make adjustments to our channel packages. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you for being a loyal customer and for the continued opportunity to bring you the best overall television entertainment experience.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Though the grandfathered packages also have channels that are only in the current top tiers. I used to be on Classic, after starting with Total Choice Plus. With the current rate increase, it stopped making sense to me, and I went to a current package.

3. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Probably because most who post here already gave up their grandfathered package and it concerns one of the lowest rated networks. Niche market within a niche market.

4. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    I received the same e-mail today. I don't watch that channel but I expect this will continue one channel at a time until they force us out of the grandfathered plans.

5. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    I got the same email but doesn't really affect me as I have never watched OWN.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given the devout nature of the typical OWN viewer, I'm betting that DIRECTV saw this as a valuable tool to get a few people off of old packages.

7. jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    There was a thread on Entertainment package losing OWN

8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Or, considering that they will be getting the HD feed, DirecTV renewed the contract and they're no longer paying the cheap Discovery Health rate for the channel.

9. Floyd

Floyd Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    I got the same email. I never watch OWN so it didn't faze me. They can keep taking pot shots with the channels until they hit something that I actually watch.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    OWN has some excellent documentaries if anyone is into documentaries. Our America with Lisa Ling is very interesting.

11. wolverine1701

wolverine1701 Cool Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I have been wanting to get rid of the HD extra package and cinemax for awhile now but couldn't because of the grandfathered package. This OWN thing was the ticket for my household for me to change the package. So my bill is going way down thank you directv!

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You couldn't do it online, but you definitely could drop both those without affecting your grandfathered package.

13. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Have Choice Extra Classic and have not received the email as of yet

14. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I left OWN, among others, off my custom guide.

15. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I did the same. It would be great if we had a cafeteria plan. I dislike paying for channels like OWN, LOGO, and others I never watch.

16. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I've never watched OWN.

17. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    I dont get it.... If its still available on CHOICE,why remove it from TOTAL CHOICE?? (Where the customer is paying more to begin with!!!!!)

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Most likely because Total Choice is a long ago discontinued package.

19. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    "total" choice?

Seems like George Carlin could have added that to his show . .

:lol:

20. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Can't miss something you've never watched! Now if they'd get rid of some of the religious & infomercial channels, we'd be all set.......