1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV sports pack GAMES and my Region

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by talktalktalk, Jan 3, 2012.

1. talktalktalk

talktalktalk Cool Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I live in los angeles and was told by a phone rep that if i ordered the sports pack I would be able to watch the Knicks and Yanks on MSG and YES. But reading online research that doesn't seem true. Keep in mind that a**hole phone rep was telling me he lived in denver and had the pack and was able to watch all the NY area games with it. Is this true or not?

2. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    No. Sometimes you get regional college games from other channels in sports pack but no pro sports. You must have the out of market sports packages to see them. So either he has the out of market packages and doesn't realize it or he was flat out lying to you.

3. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    In your case you would only get the LA sports teams and NO OUT OF MARKET games such as the Yankees on MSG. The only way to get out of market games would be to subscribe to the sportstickets in this case MLB Extra Innings. Subscribing to the Sportspack does NOT get you any out of market games

4. PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    Frackville PA
    Not true you can only watch you YANKEES and KNICKS with MLB & NHL packages out side of the channels regional coverage area.

5. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    Not true. You DON'T need to subscribe to the Sports Pak in order to get any out-of-market NHL, NBA, MLS, and MLB games. You must subscribe to that league's package.

6. twiseguy

twiseguy Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Stow, Ohio
    You won`t see any live Knicks, Yanks, Rangers, or anybody else`s out of market games with the Sports Pack. In fact, you may not even see the replays (except Yanks on YES).

Only way you get NY teams is to buy the NBA League Pass, and with Yanks you`ll need MLB Extra Innings package.

Be happy you`re not a Philly fan, because they rarely see any Phiily broadcasts on either package.

7. talktalktalk

talktalktalk Cool Member

Jan 1, 2012
    uuuuggghhhh! O.K. thanks guys.

8. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Yeah as others have said.... if you want to watch out-of-market games, you have to pay some money, thanks to pro-sport blackouts. No out of market NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, MLS.

However, there are some things you CAN watch with just the sports package. Often, local college games aren't blacked out, and in some cases you may even be able to catch a university game or two, provided they aren't covered by a contract of some sort with another channel or pro package. Lots of High School sports as well, basically lots of local stuff.

And of course you get a lot more international stuff. Soccer from Europe and Latin-America for instance through the soccer channels that are included with the sports pack. And lots of Olympic type sports on Universal Sports.

9. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    In most cases, if you have the sports pack AND the respective subscription package, you could watch the Yankees on YES and the Knicks on MSG as if you are in the New York area. As I have done so for many years. The only noticeable difference on the Sports Pack is the classic game type shows are a real hit and miss. Sometimes I was able to see Yankeeography and sometimes not.

Just to give you an advance warning, even if you do have an out-of-market subscription package, the opposing teams broadcast will be blacked out close to 100% of the time when they play the local team, in your case, you have to watch the game on FS-West and Prime Ticket when the Knicks play the Lakers and Clippers and when the Yankees play the Angels.

But that CSR is real ill-informed, I guess he was trying to make a buck on suckering you in to buy the Sports Pack.