1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dtv sub off an on since 1995, just cut the cord

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SCDishMan2006, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1 of 18
    SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006 AllStar

Feb 2, 2006
    OTA, Netflix and Hulu here I come.

I had an epiphany this morning and woke up thinking about it. What am I really paying for? Do I really need this?

I have seen the light. That's not a shot at the 20 million other people that pay for and enjoy their Dtv service. It's just something I've decided to live without.

2. Sep 1, 2012 #2 of 18
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Veteran of DTV herd. :)

3. Sep 2, 2012 #3 of 18
    PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I'm considering cutting back, once I get my C Band system up and running, in a couple of weeks. I'm using a DSR920 and a Viewsat 9000. Once that's done, then I'll see what's free and cut way back on my programming costs. I can do without locals, since I can get them over-the-air anyways.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #4 of 18
    directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    This is going to probably sound sad to you, but I would rather be dead than not have television and my directv and hr34, and NO I am not joking. It is the one thing in my little life that gives me pure happiness and is always there for me.

5. Sep 2, 2012 #5 of 18
    macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    +1

6. Sep 2, 2012 #6 of 18
    mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Amazon Prime is another source of low-cost video. If you buy much stuff on Amazon you get the benefit of free shipping and a ever-growing library of free video. Not much in HD, but some of their SD is better picture quality than Directv's.

7. Sep 2, 2012 #7 of 18
    joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    My daughter and son in law recently did just that and now they call me all the time to record stuff on DVDs for them that they can't get.

8. Sep 2, 2012 #8 of 18
    Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    $1,000 per year is a lot for TV. I can see why people do it.

9. Sep 2, 2012 #9 of 18
    Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I totally get this.

That said, if I was single I might have cut the cord years ago. I know where to find everything I watch. The wife on the otherhand is dead set against it based on the few discussions we have had. I am perfectly fine with that because I still have no problem paying Directv every month.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When you are old like me the TV is my only form of entertainment.
    I would be really lost without NASCAR, NHRA, Golf, Tennis, several of the series on 242, 245, 265, HBO, Showtime, etc.
    My bill is about $140 which is a lot, but, when I used to date I spent that much on one date. This is entertainment for every day of the month.
    It is all relative to what you want or need.

11. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    It just depends what you replace it with. If you have priorities, like the AMC lineup, then you still need to subscribe. If your looking for specific programming that is either in the clear, or available for less, then you have to explore those options. I for one, do like the AMC lineup, my local sports teams, oldies programming and movies. If it was just the ability to ala carte each service, then it would make life easier.

12. hfa

hfa Cool Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I totally agree with jimmie as you retire,live in a really large city and do notstay as social, tv and computer are your network. My 2 tvs stay on 12 hrs per day and it is worth every penny to me.Everybody has their likes and things to cut back on. I would not die without it,but it entertains, teaches and makes a retired sit at home day better. Other family members have tried to cut the cord, but usually find they Spend more for equipment etc and can not get their favs than if they went to the lowest package.Somehow they always come back to DTV and the equipment junks up the cabinets.

13. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    All I could think of when I read this post was this -

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right. this is how I refer to my beer:lol:

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I kind of feel sorry for you guys. I'm also "old" (late 60's), retired, and so darned active and busy I have trouble finding time to watch tv.

But then our individual pursuits are what make us all unique individuals, and what's right for one person isn't for another. Continue to enjoy your TV and your retired life.

16. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I wish I could cut back, but they deviously have placed certain channels at the higher levels, and I got an earful from other family members every time I tried to go to a lower programming package. Good luck to you!

17. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I'm retired, but I have a part time job and also go to the gym. Being a school bus driver, I had a lot of spare time in the summer, and did watch a lot of tv. I guess you could say I abused Netflix. But now that school started, I don't have as much time to watch tv as I did during the summer.

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have a physically handicapped son that I take care of. I only leave the house to get us food or to take him to the doctor.
    A few years ago I was out on a date and when I got home I found him on the floor and he had been there almost since the time I left. That was my last date and leaving for any length of time.

He loves his DirecTV, especially the multi screen tennis matches. He has the 52" Mitsubishi.