1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTV Tivo to 622 switch

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by omeletpants, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omeletpants

omeletpants Cool Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Am a DTV customer that had a Samsung 360 with a great picture and moved to a Tivo, that has a very soft, muted picture. HD on the Tivo is very disappointing. Heard about the new 622. Before I shift to E can anyone tell me about the 622 picture quality. I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks!!!

2. OinkinOregon

OinkinOregon AllStar

Feb 19, 2006
    I have recorded several shows in HD and I cannot tell a difference from the recording or the live picture. I am very satisfied with the HD recording capabilities of the 622.

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The 622 records the raw digital stream from the satellite as it comes in, therefore, playback is identical to first view.

In fact, all "viewing" is of the playback stream whether it is "near live" or a recording. The digital stream is recorded and played back immediately if you are viewing "live".

4. ac_burt

ac_burt Cool Member

Feb 16, 2006
    I second the motion of "I am very satisfied with the HD recording capabilities of the 622." I had problems the first day but since then my 622 has been solid and the recordings are exact to the original broadcast, at least to my eyes.

5. Virus

Virus Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    I just recently made the same move. The HD Tivo is a rock solid recorder. The 622 DVR section is terrible in comparison to the HD Tivo in functionality, but honestly I haven't found anyone that compares to Tivo. The 622 does have problems like lip sync issues and a few other quirks. If there is one thing the 622 shines at is it's picture quality. It's simply put amazing on both the DVR and live broadcast.

6. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    i'd suspect the 622 will need a couple of months to get all the major bugs out, but as long as it works :) it should be very good viewing wise. The functionality will take some getting used to, and it might not be equal to Tivo, but who is.

I just received a 942 (which is almost identical to the 622 except the mpeg4) and it's taking some getting used to. I am coming from the old 921 Dish receiver, so I'd say you'll likely be like me, fumbling around a little the first few days :) PQ though does seem superb. I watch mostly OTA programming in HD, and I find it stellar.

7. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    You also have to mention that it has been said that the 622 still doesn't compare to the crisp picture quality you get from connecting the OTA HD antenna directly to the TVs digital tuner.

8. omeletpants

omeletpants Cool Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Thanks guys, that's what I needed to hear. The Tivo is rock solid but the picture quality is terrible in comparison to the Samsung 360. I'm going to wait a bit and hope they iron out the 622 issues. I also have to find a way to get out of my DTV contract and a decent deal from E.

I was a E customer for 10 years, actually one of the origional ones that paid $1600 for a system. After 10 years I had a problem and they wanted to charge me twice the cost of what they would charge a new customer to upgrade. I left for DTV and E called me weekly to come back. We'll see if they want my business for another 10 years with on-time payments :) I might call E customer retention

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.