DTV with Tivo Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by wcwman18, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1 of 18
    wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    I have a few questions.

1. If I was to get a DTV box with tivo would I be able to transfer the show to my PC?
    2. I am looking to take the recorded shows and edit them and put them on DVD for later viewing.
    3. Are their any options where I won't have to capture the show in real time?

2. Oct 1, 2014 #2 of 18
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Others can better answer your capturing questions, but if you're considering a THR22, make sure it's really what you want. The software hasn't been updated in quite a while, and it does not support Whole Home. It does not have the newer Tivo software, so it's not like a Roamio etc.

3. Oct 1, 2014 #3 of 18
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Dont know if the TiVO desktop works with the THR22, but with any DirecTV® DVR you can transfer the shows to your PC’s video capture card and edit them using your favorite application. Im my case I use El Gato eyeTV HD for capturing and iMovie for editing

4. Oct 1, 2014 #4 of 18
    wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    I am looking to transfer the tivo file vs real time capture.

5. Oct 1, 2014 #5 of 18
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As I said, I don’t know if the THR22 works with the TiVO Desktop. I don’t use TiVO

6. Oct 1, 2014 #6 of 18
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    That's a lot of work to get pretty lo resolution stuff to watch later. Are you open to other ideas, or is budget a big concern?

7. Oct 1, 2014 #7 of 18
    wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    I am open to other ideas. What are you thinking?

8. Oct 1, 2014 #8 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is really one question (item 2 is a condition) and the answer is no.

The stream data is encrypted even if you managed to get the files copied over.

9. Oct 1, 2014 #9 of 18
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Well, why not get a regular DIRECTV DVR, perhaps add a huge external drive, and use that for semi-archiving. I say semi, as for me, long term archiving doesn't work well. And I say that after finally deleting the last Jay Leno Tonight show, and the America's Cup final race!

10. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    As harsh said, there is absolutely no support for TiVo Desktop or any other means of transferring a recording from a THR22. Your only option here would be a video capture device such as the Hauppauge HD-PVR2, but that means capture in realtime.

None of the DirecTV DVRs support saving programs on a DVD. You can attach very large disks and keep LOTS of programming. If you get a Genie DVR, you can buy the GenieGO and transfer programs to a tablet or smartphone for up to 30 days of viewing. All of the DirecTV DVRs allow streaming to a PC (but not copying.)

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome, that is good to know. I have always wondered….

12. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I have a THR22 and an HR44. The THR22 is for my wife, who prefers the TiVo UI and doesn't care about the rest. The way I put it is that the THR22 is effectively an HR10 that works with MPEG4 and SWM. It doesn't have any of the features of newer TiVos (except perhaps for "Swivel Search", which I consider a gimmick.) It also doesn't have features of DirecTV DVRs such as 3D, whole-home viewing, PC streaming, VoD. (It claims to have VoD, but it doesn't work.) The THR22 has been abandoned by DirecTV - there was one software update a year ago and most of the bugs have not been fixed.

When it works, it works as a decent HR10 did, other than the occasional blank recording. The UI is snappy and easier to navigate than that of the HR44.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sbl, would you mind sharing what is swivel search? Since the inception of the THR22, I have install the wonderful amount of 1, yes, really, one!

Also, you mentioned VOD does not work, why?

14. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Some links about Swivel Search: here and here. But this one is probably the best. I consider it a gimmick but maybe a good way to waste time.

As for VOD - it's SUPPOSED to work, and you can search for VOD programs and initiate downloads, but the downloads always fail. Many people have reported this to DirecTV over the past year and a half, nothing has been done.

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps this feature works best on stand alone TiVOs as DirecTV® branded TiVOs are limited to where it can search

16. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Swivel Search doesn't surface as a unique feature in the current TiVo UI (version 20.x) at all. It's features are incorporated into just the plain search. ANY search is automatically searched for in the guide data, your recorded shows, all enabled providers (e.g. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc.), and any long range future broadcast data available (like the DirecTV "way in advance" functions), plus VOD if available (basically just Comcast and RCN subs).

17. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    For what it's worth, Blue Ridge Cable also supports VOD and Netflix using their T6 version only.
    Cable cards don't support either.

18. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    While the cable companies like to claim that cablecards are incompatible with VOD, the issue is not the cablecards since the cable company's boxes have cablecards inside as well. The companies that distribute their own versions of TiVo DVRs (the T6 referred to above) make VOD available as well. It is just a matter of putting some software on the box to make the request. Except for a few operators, VOD is delivered over a QAM channel just like any other channel. A few operators (like Verizon) send their VOD content over the internet as an IP stream. In those cases additional client code is needed on the DVR, but it is still easily done.