1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Buffer thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I deleted the "latest word" thread.

Why.... I was corrected by my contact.
    I had it wrong, well partially wrong.

Dual Buffers is still on the "feature" list of things that YOU as customers, want to see.

VOD is difinatively in the plans, and will utilize the resources of the system.

My interpretations of the conversation, where not 100%.

So bottom line:
    No dual buffers yet, but..... since the box can technically do it... It is still a viable future feature to be added.

Sorry for hooply I caused.

Give me a muligan.. Please?

2. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Muligan.

3. ad301

ad301 Godfather

Mar 30, 2004
    Translation:

D* knows, Earl knows, we ALL know, that dual live buffers will NOT be coming to the r15 or it's cousins. However, for PR purposes, it's best not to publicly say that. Better to leave it open as a possiblility.

BTW, the same also applies to wishlists.

4. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    If it was for PR purposes... this thread wouldn't be here either...

5. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    FWIW, the NDS Sky+ boxes have never had dual buffers (out since 2001). Nor has any other NDS based DVR...

6. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    This has become more like Fox News, we're so "Fair and Balanced". Come to think of it, they're both owned by the same folks. Bring back those days of discussing the down side of the box, there's always room for improvement.

-- Earl (user formerly known as ebonovic) (sometimes known as Bill O'Reilly)

7. Que

Que Icon

Apr 15, 2006
    ...but the "Dual Buffer" thing is coming right? I hope sooner then later. That is what really holding me back. I love to hit pause then go to the next tuner watch a bit then hit pause on that one and go back.

#1 on my list to have is the "Dual Buffer" then a 30 skip.

8. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm with Que.... It sounds like this product is coming along well. I'm really looking forward to the HR20 but will hold on to my HR10s until the HR20s are at least even with the TiVos. I know we're talking about the SD DVRs but the HD ones will probably be close in functionality.

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Que... Well there is already a 30s "slip" now, and that is as close as we are going to get to a 30s skip.

As for the Dual Buffers... as I said.. .it is still on the list of items for consideration, but if you hold your breath, you may turn a few shades of purple before it is here.

10. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Just how many shades so I can get a feel for how long? :)

11. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005

Hmmmm Federov and Michigan? Any relation to Sergei? :D

12. DesignDawg

DesignDawg Legend

Jan 7, 2006
    ROFL. ;)

13. Que

Que Icon

Apr 15, 2006
    :( That doesn't sound good. Is it something that's hard to do or just low on there list? If it's a VOD or dual buffer thing. I'd go with dual buffer. I really have no need for VOD at all.

14. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't know, but I do know that correcting the current live buffer is higher on their list then implementing a 2nd buffer

15. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    I agree,.................Correcting the current buffer should be a higher priority at this point. :)

16. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    well, obviously, they cannot implement a second buffer without fixing the current problem first.

17. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005

I agree, but my question from the first theard still stands. With only on "live" buffer how is it going to choose which one is the live buffer if your recording two programs and nothing afterwards? I assume if you where watching it live it would stay on the one your watching but which buffer would it choose to dump you to if you where watching a show in MYVOD? Would it go back to the station you had been watching last before the two shows started recording or would it randomly pick one stations from the two shows that just recorded? It just seems like fixing the dropping of the buffer and adding dual buffers would go hand and hand so you don't loose either buffer.

18. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    Understood. :) .............but i guess that "gimme5" plainly stated it better than i did. "well, obviously, they cannot implement a second buffer without fixing the current problem first."

I,m all for "dual buffers" as well, but i honestly can't see this happening anytime soon, at least without correcting the shortcomings of the current "90 min. buffer" first. As for me personally, i don't rely on the "current buffer" too much anyway, and can clearly understand the "complaints" of others who do.

19. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I completely agree, that they should fix the current one first. I just want to know what logic you'd/they'd use with a one buffer system. It just seems like you fix the current buffer and then add the second after you fix the issues with the first, so they don't have to figure out which buffer it will pick after a dual recording. It just seems like it would go hand and hand with the fix of the current buffer, and they'd release them together. I think the dual buffer is a good thing, I don't use it much either but there are times when I'm glad it's there.

20. dtv4metoday

dtv4metoday Banned User

Apr 14, 2006

"NO SOUP FOR YOU !!! NEXT" :D

The "Technically possible" you mention, is that when wi-max is implemnted, that the vod and active would go through that and open up the dual bffers to become live ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.