1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual HDMI outputs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Random987, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Random987

Random987 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Does anyone know if D will release a DVR with dual HDMI outputs? I would love to bypass my 1.3 only receiver for HD content. However, the more I research, the more it seems i will need to upgrade my year old receiver...

2. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Nope. Time to upgrade receiver.

3. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I have two DVRs feeding one TV.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Does your receiver not have optical?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If the receiver does HDMI 1.3, why would you need to bypass it for HD? I know in the past some receivers would only do video over HDMI, and not audio but wouldn't think a year old box would be one of them.

I can understand if it was for 3D, but yours should do HD fine.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm assuming he wants to bypass the receiver so he can get the 3D content (HD was a typo and should have said 3D)?

Like Spartanstew mentioned, if that is what he is trying to do he needs to just run HDMI from the DirecTV receiver to his TV, and an optical or digital coax cable from the DirecTV receiver to his AV receiver.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Would this work for you?

Rich

8. Random987

Random987 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Thanks for the responses, yes, I meant 3D. I am getting a new TV this year and need to integrate my current equipment. Since I can theoretically get 3D content from Blu Ray and Directv, I would need dual hdmi output on both (especially with the BluRay as I would like to preserve the HD Audio formats which, from what I understand, are not available through optical connections. The more I think about it, the more I may need to upgrade my receiver....

Anyone need an Onkyo 876?

9. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You can still send D* directly to your display via HDMI and to your receiver via optical. Then, you just need a blu ray player with dual HDMI.

10. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    If all you want to do is split signal from one DVR across multiple TVs, you might consider an HDMI splitter. I use them because I want complete control of two DVRs from two different TVs.

From an experience a year ago, I learned that not all HDMI splitters are created equal and, as you might expect, more advanced capability comes at a price. You have to read the specs carefully - look for the level of HDMI you want, see if they support all the digital audio formats, and decide if you want 3D support. The Gefen products are among the most expensive ones out there but they do deliver against their specs. The link below is for a 2-way that passes 1.3, advanced digital audio, and 3D.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8475

My experience with Gefen is that their box is like a router and shows one "virtual set" back to the device looking to sync up. For me, this eliminated a problem with another brand of splitter (that I had to return) where the device looking for HDMI sync up was seeing through the splitter and trying to sync with each TV individually which caused audio problems with DD.

Good luck!

Big K

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    This device doesn't support 1.4a so he still won't have 3D access. Plus for $300 you're almost half way there to a really nice receiver that will do 1.4a. For $400-$500 you can get an ok receiver that will do it.

12. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    That's not what he wants to do.

And for around $150 you can get a dual HDMI BD player and solve the problem.