Dual Tuner Stand-alone Tivo

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by HarryD, May 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    I called Tivo the other day to cancel my account (S/A w/ upgraded 40 gig). I asked the rep if he knew if Tivo was making a S/A unit w/ dual tuners. He, of course, didn't know but thought it would be a good idea. I then e-mailed Tivo and got a response back saying they didn't have any plans but gave me a ticket number for reference.

Are there any technology issues preventing a dual tuner Standalone Tivo?? :confused:

2. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Unaware of any but you would still only be able to record one sat channel at a time.

3. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    No technology issues, but with 2 encoders and 2 seperate sets of inputs and 2 cable tuners all in one box the cost would be $600 - $700 for the hardware alone, then add the $250 lifetime sub and your up to nearly a grand :eek: THEN add 2 satellite receivers or 2 digital cable boxes if necessary :eek2:

Maybe someone would pay the RePlay price for a dual-action TiVo, but I ain't one of them. I like my sub-$100 DTiVos just fine :D

4. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The tuner is (I believe) the same Philips analog tuner used by the ATI All-In-Wonder cards - not too pricey. MPEG2 is getting cheap also (an All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 with the tuner and ATI Theater (MPEG2) chip is $199 and I think the normal 7500 is $99. So that's only $100 per tuner/encoder combo. So it would add about $100 if I am correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.