Duel Live Buffers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FlBillsfan, Jun 30, 2009.

1. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    I just got the July issue of Access Mag. On Pg19 KNOW-IT-ALL, It says DIRECTV'S DOUBLEPLAY. It says to press the down arrow to start storing up to 90 min. of live TV on each of your HDDVR's 2 tuners. Then press the down arrow to switch between the tuners. Well I tried it, but it does not work. Hopefully SOON?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe the dual tuners are Dueling and that's why yours aren't working. :confused:

3. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    I don't know if you are trying to be funny (you're not) Are you telling me you have DLB?

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    At this time Doubleplay aka DLB is not available in the National Release of the software yet, be patient.

5. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    I believe that is a feature that will be implemented in the near future.

6. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Since it was featured in the July issue of Access Mag by Directv, I would expect it to be implemented sometime in July.

7. FaderMD

FaderMD AllStar

Jun 13, 2009
    I just read the same thing in the newest magazine. If it's not working i think it should be working very soon. I'd think within the next couple days. I mean, why print it in the company guide/magazine without making it work? It'd be a call center nightmare! :)

8. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I wouldn't go that far. Print materials like magazines have a pretty good lead time. There may have been some snags along the way in the development of any given feature delaying the release. Now if they waited until a feature was released nationally, it may be 2 or 3 months before the general public finds out about the feature other than by accident or word of mouth.

9. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    All attempted humorous posts aside, that feature hasn't been released yet. If you are looking for some more information, surf through this sub forum http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171.

As Mertzen points out, not yet. ;)

10. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny. Especially since this exact same thing was discussed less than a week before your post. A quick search found that thread here.

11. mthompso105

mthompso105 Mentor

Mar 21, 2007
    I laughed but then again, I step on sidewalk cracks.

12. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I thought it was amusing. Your two tuners are fighting it out (dueling) rather than working together (dual). :hurah:

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Well you did title this thread "Duel Live Buffers", not Dual so...

But like others have said, soon. But not necessarily in July.

14. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    Yesterday was June 30th. Based on your first post it wouldn't have been activated yet if you thought sometime in July right?

I am ready for this feature to work. If it is 90 minutes worth that is a pleasant surprise.

15. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    I posted on the day I got the magazine. It is the July issue. Call me CRAZY but I would think Direct TV would have a feature they are advertising to actually be implimented & working when I read about it in their magazine.

16. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I think there's a reasonable assumption that content in a magazine dated for a future month is not necessarily available in the month in which the magazine was received. I mean, if you flipped through that magazine in June and randomly picked a program from a listing, would you have expected it to be available to you ... in June? You wouldn't, and no one else would either, because the magazine is delivered in advance.

Since it's now July, the only question is, do you expect the new feature to be available on day 1, or is any date in July acceptable? Each person will have their own take on this, but I think in the future DIRECTV could avoid confusion by simply throwing a big old, "Coming Soon!" banner across the ad. Then it works for June, or July, or even August if a planned delivery date slips ...

17. MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005

When I get a magazine in the mail and see an advertisement with no "coming soon" but advertises as if it is current, I would expect it to be live now. This is not like looking at the programming grid for sometime in July and thinking it is available June 30th. Programs in the grid are listed under a certain day and time. Advertisements are not. We went through this several months ago when The Weather Channel's "Local on the 8's" were advertised.

18. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ah, so then you're aware that an advertisement is not the same as "available now".

19. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    If you have been with D* as long as I have, you will understand that marketing and engineering/product development/programming/finance/pick any department don't talk to each other.:lol:

20. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    And yet some of us did not learn too much from the experience. Look at a press release. They always state that there are forward-looking statements that represent the likely state of a company and/or product at a given time in the future.

You can choose to be irritated and offended (which will do absolutely no good) or you can choose to see this as a sign of a feature that will be implemented in the very short term. This is development, in which I have a great deal of experience. Development takes time and testing. They have to roll this out to an audience and see how it behaves in the wild. Now, you can get a product that fails tomorrow or one that works much better in two weeks.

Pressure of this type results in one thing: DirecTV not telling you anything until it already happened. I would not blame them.