Dumb question....can I still use my 722 to get OTA if I cancel my sub?

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by isamu99, May 28, 2019.

1. isamu99

isamu99 New Member

May 28, 2019
    Hi guys. OK here's the deal. I'll be cutting the cord on my Dish Network subscription in the next day or two. I own the VIP722 and it's actually mine, not leasing. Once I cancel my subscription, will I still be able to utilize my 722 to obtain OTA channels as long as I have a hopper or OTA adapter? Once they cut me off, will the receiver continue to populate OTA channels into the guide? Or do I need to keep some kind of subscription for this to work? I have a large OTA antenna already.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I think you must maintain a subscription to get guide info. If you are looking to truly cut the cord on Dish, you might want to look into a standalone DVR solution for OTA.

3. isamu99

isamu99 New Member

May 28, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured that was the case. I already own a DVR box, the Leelbox DVR. It's....OK...but the timeshift function leaves a bit to be desired. Which analog to digital OTA DVR receiver would you recommend that closely performs to the 722?

4. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Tivo with lifetime subscription.

isamu99 likes this.
  5. isamu99

isamu99 New Member

May 28, 2019
  6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    try to find DTVpalDVR/cm7000 pal or DVR+ both OTA DVRs mfg by dish

7. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    If Tivo with Lifetime is too expensive seeing you own your 722 you should be able to subscribe to the Welcome Pack for $20-25/Mo. depending on your state taxes. Call DISH retention to get help with your subscription.

isamu99 likes this.
  8. isamu99

isamu99 New Member

May 28, 2019

Nah, I'm done with Dish. I actually cancelled their service after 6 years this morning. I should have mentioned that I'm actually using a PVR analog to digital box already, the Leelbox Digital Converter box:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K5QMV41/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty good...The only thing I don't about it is the timeshift mode is a little flaky and doesn't rewind or fast forward as smoothly as I'd like. Basically the timeshift mode doesn't perform as silky smooth as the VIP722. I'm kinda wondering if that is due to using a USB flash drive instead of a larger 3.5" external powered HDD like a seagate. Maybe I'll get one and see if it makes a difference.

9. Jun 6, 2019 #9 of 15
    kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Hudson, FL
    You may be able to use the OTA adapter on your computer if you can download the appropriate driver.

10. isamu99

isamu99 New Member

May 28, 2019
    Nah, I don't have a computer in my Living room where the TV is.

On a side note, my Leelbox Digital to Analog converter DVR box has been fried! Unbelievable! I guess you get what you pay for with these cheap $30 boxes :(

On another side note, Dish has been officially cancelled, and so far my VIP722 is still able to access all my pre-recorded data, despite the Dish rep claiming they'd be inaccessible once the service stopped. Shows how much she knows :lol:

However, my question is this. *IF* I were to get the Dish OTA Module:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UQOVX...olid=2JHRM5PVALR2Z&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

.....would it allow my 722 to get OTA channels despite not having any service? This would really save me on having to buy a brand new box. If it does, then the question remains....can I record shows off these OTA channels onto the 722's hard drive, and if so, can I access them the same way I did with the recorded cable shows? What exactly happens if I try to record anything with this OTA Module? Do timers or any of those things still function?

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I would not expect the 722 to keep working forever. If it does, great.

The EPG for OTA is subscription based and satellite delivered. I would not expect to receive OTA EPG without a subscription. Again, if you get it, great. But don't expect it to continue indefinitely.

12. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    First what model do you have 722 or 722K? 722 has an OTA tuner built in, 722K uses a MT2 module to give OTA capability.

13. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    But neither the 722 nor the 722K will record or play anything OTA or via satellite without service from Dish.

They will play prerecorded programs for a time after discontinuation of service.

14. isamu99

isamu99 New Member

May 28, 2019
    Yeah it's a regular 722. The OTA antenna is built in. I tried hooking up my old school outdoor analog OTA antenna to the box yesterday. I didn't get anywhere, because the box won't even allow me to enable the local channels option. It gives me some error saying I don't have access to that, and I need to power down the box for a while then power it back up blah blah blah.

Jim...you use the term "for a time", but disagree. I don't think the box will ever prevent me from accessing my pre-recorded shows, at least not until the hard drive itself fails(which I'm sure it will eventually). But they have not managed to access anything on my 722 since I disconnected the coax cable before cancelling the service. So any attempt to modify the behavior of my 722 from their end will fail as long as I don't re-connect the dish antenna to it. The 722 repeats the "Acquiring Signal" error forever, and the box doesn't know the service has been cancelled lol.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Disconnecting coax before discontinuing the service is the best way of keeping the box "alive" without a subscriptions. "For a time" is accurate. How long is not exact.