Dump DirecTV for YouTube TV ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by thekochs, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mar 4, 2018 #1 of 28
    thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    So, wondering if any here has done this ?
    As they say....you get what you pay for...BUT gotten tired over the years of paying DirecTV for 100s of channels myself and family don't watch only because of the 5-10 channels we do. Clearly DirecTV's analytics department does their job well in knowing what they can "bulk in" for the channels the masses want.

I have two new Sony XBR TVs (BTW....freaking awesome picture) which are Android based so YouTube TV available on them....plus few older LCD TVs I could get the $30 ChromeCast unit for. Anyway, since grass sometimes not greener on other side of fence was wondering if anyone has gone down this road and can share the plus and minus of their experience. My guess is there are trade-offs but tired of paying for channels I don't watch, HD service adder (are you kidding me), limited HDD recording space, tuner limits....not to mention location storms knocking out viewing....all for $1K more a year than YouTube TV. Clearly DirecTV is trying to address this with DirecTV on Demand...but as I read a poor version of YouTube TV.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Mar 4, 2018 #2 of 28
    Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Ohio
    If you can get it try it. I'd sign up for it if it would let me...not in Youngstown market I guess. I have an HD Homerun and can get my locals. Wish it would let me sign up..

I will be putting my DTv on suspended service for next few months before totally canceling. Just to make sure rest of family can get by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mar 4, 2018 #3 of 28
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Suspend Directv and try it for a month or two. If you like it you can cancel Directv, if you don't you can un-suspend and keep looking.

espaeth likes this.
  4. Mar 5, 2018 #4 of 28
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've read the comparisons of all the major CRSs (Cable Replacement Services) and YouTube doesn't seem quite ready for prime time. Same thing can be said about Directv Now. And Hulu Plus. I have tried PS Vue, it does have a cloud DVR and it's easy to use. Seems like the best choice...at the moment. That will change if Directv Now releases its cloud DVR and jacks up the resolution to 1080p. Simply put, I'd rather go with the devil I know. I know D*. But, YouTube is owned by Google and I'd expect it to at least match Directv Now in features.

Rich

5. Mar 5, 2018 #5 of 28
    Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    I dumped Directv last October (after 13 years) and went with Sling. Got the Blue plus the "4 extra" channel pack deal plus DVR. Price after taxes per month is $46. I already had Hulu (on demand not live) and use it to watch network shows next day. I too was tired of HD fee, DVR fee, box fee, and paying for channels I didn't want.

6. Mar 5, 2018 #6 of 28
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Making a list of what you watch then checking to see if that content is available via Youtube (or any service being considered) would be a first step. If the content isn't there you will need to decided if you can live without it.

I agree with suspending the current service while trying a new service. Once DIRECTV is suspended you are more likely to find content that you cannot get (if you end up missing anything). Once the family starts to come to you and say "hey, I can't find ...." you can either find it or easily go back to DIRECTV.

7. Mar 5, 2018 #7 of 28
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    DTV Now has to be doing 1080p on at least some channels. On Sat. night, I caught the end of a live boxing match on Showtime in the DTV Now beta app. I'm pretty sure it was the best looking HD broadcast (i.e. linear TV channel transmission) I've ever seen. Prior to this, I'd say that title goes to my local CBS station (1080i) via an OTA antenna. The boxing match looked as good as Netflix's 1080p streams, with excellent crisp detail, fluid 60 fps motion, and an almost total absense of noticeable compression artifacts. I honestly don't think DTV satellite ever looked this good (although, I'll admit, that's been awhile and I was on an old TV then, so apples and oranges).

I'd be absolutely shocked if DTV Now had been streaming Showtime in 720p rather than 1080p.

8. Mar 5, 2018 #8 of 28
    NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Assuming you're OK with YouTube TV's channel line-up (which lacks channels from Discovery, Scripps and Viacom -- so no HGTV, Food, Travel, Nickelodeon, TV Land, MTV, Paramount, TLC, Discovery, etc.), the biggest trade-off you might have a problem with is the fact that YouTube TV replaces your DVR recordings with on-demand versions of the same show if available, and apparently that happens a lot. And you can't FF through ads in the on-demand version of shows.

OTOH, you have unlimited storage, with everything saved for 9 months until it auto-deletes. You can't designate nitty-gritty recording preferences, e.g. just record new episodes, but since you have unlimited storage, there's little point in fussing with such details anyhow. Just "like" a show and every episode of it will be saved for you as it becomes available.

salyavin likes this.
  9. Mar 5, 2018 #9 of 28
    slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Maybe they made special provisions for a big event like boxing. Its possible it was produced in 4K if they're testing for eventual deployment of 4K, so Directv might have had a 4K feed to convert to 1080p in this case? I would assume it, along with HBO, ESPN and FS1 are the main candidates for the first real 4K channel.

Kyl416 generally knows 10x more than anyone else about this stuff, maybe he knows the background on this.

10. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That's an immediate killer from me. I wouldn't switch from my $100/month cable to YouTube TV if they paid ME $100/month instead if that's the case!

11. mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    What YouTube TV has that others do not is your local Fox Sports channels. With YouTube TV, I can watch my local baseball/hockey games. No other streaming services that I am aware of has that. I would miss the discovery channels, as they are not included. I have been thinking about trying this, as the price for DirecTV is getting out of control.

12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Ditto. How can anybody watch commercials in this day and age? Also, after watching a few episodes of Stargate Origins, I can't see myself ever giving money to YouTube as punishment.

13. NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Don't know about where you live, but I checked into this for a friend who has to have Fox Sports Tennessee to watch Nashville Preds hockey games and found that YouTube TV does not carry it, although it looks like DTV Now and Hulu Live both do.

You can check availability of Fox's RSNs here:
    FOX Sports Channel Finder

14. NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, it could be that Showtime was using 4K cameras to capture the boxing match and then down-rezzing that to 1080i via their normal h.264 satellite feed (which DTV Now was then converting to 1080p h.265 to stream to my Apple TV 4K, which was then up-rezzing it to 2160p). I noticed that Sky was also carrying the match, and they offer quite a bit of live 4K sports over there; maybe they were using the same feed as Showtime, hence the need for 4K cameras. At any rate, I should point out that not everything on DTV Now looks as good as that match, not even close. When the match concluded and Showtime began airing previews of upcoming shows, it still looked good -- like, "normal DTV Now" good -- but not like the boxing match itself. Compression artifacts were more apparent, everything looked a little less crisp.

Free TV PLUS $100 a month wouldn't be enough to get you to sit through some commercials here and there?! Ha, you must really hate ads. Fair enough, though. These new OTT services aren't really aimed at you but instead toward more cost-conscious consumers who want to pay less in exchange for fewer channels and a less robust DVR/on-demand experience. Generally speaking, I think the main utility of a DVR for the great majority of folks is the ability to time shift, so they can watch their shows on their own schedule; the ability to avoid ads is the #2 reason to pay for DVR service and something that some consumers are willing to compromise on.

I expect that, eventually, we'll see AT&T roll out an OTT version of DTV without compromises (whether or not that's what the new "home-centric" service launching later this year initially proves to be). They're branding the DVR feature for DTV Now as "True Cloud DVR" and it's looking like maybe they'll only include 20 hours of storage space as a baseline part of the service, perhaps with the ability to increase that to 100 hours for an additional charge. If they're planning to disable FF through ads in recordings, they haven't shown any signs of that in how the cloud DVR works in the beta app. My guess is that they will allow FFing in recordings but they still may replace recordings with on-demand versions (in which you CAN'T FF through ads) in order to "free up space in your True Cloud DVR". Still though, if they continue to offer their current "Live a Little" channel package for $35, plus throw in 20 hours of cloud DVR, along with all the existing free on-demand stuff, that's a pretty good deal, IMO.

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I like commercials on live TV. They allow me time to let the dog out, use the bathroom, grab a snack or a beverage. As for recorded TV programs, that's a different story. I skip through the commercials and it's back to my program. Guess you can say they're a double edge sword. Convenient with live TV, annoying with recorded TV.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have you anything to say about the cloud DVR? That would interest me. The resolutions aren't gonna stop me from getting it, I've lived with the NFL and YES in 720p on D* and I can live with it on D*N, but I have to have the DVR.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, that would kill it for me too.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do you have any idea when the DVR function will be enabled? 20 hours would be more than enough for me. I would just record sports. And watch the recordings almost immediately (I'd wait an hour and a half so I could FF thru commercials and talking heads).

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I use the Pause button for those things. I can't stand commercials.

Rich

salyavin and slice1900 like this.
  20. NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah -- it's buggy as hell. Ha! I'm not sure what's so challenging for a company the size of AT&T to build a cloud DVR, given that far smaller operations like Philo have the same feature with reportedly solid reliability. But I have to think that they'll get the bugs squashed before this rolls out, probably in the next couple of months. I mean, if they released the 2.0 app with the DVR acting like it currently does, for at least some beta users, they'd get flogged in the online press.

I haven't really tried using the DVR feature all that much. I've been a cord-cutter for nearly three years now, so "appointment viewing" for me comes through on-demand apps like Hulu, Netflix, Showtime and HBO. To the extent I watch DTV Now, it's mainly to watch some live cable news and just to enjoy a little channel surfing. (I'm only a casual/occasional sports viewer.) But mostly it reminds me of what an ad-filled wasteland that a lot of basic cable TV is!

When I've tried recording stuff, the recording usually plays back, but with glitches, like dropped frames and/or what appears to be mildly reduced HD picture quality. The last recording I repeatedly tried playing back wouldn't play at all -- just gave me some sort of error about "JSON" -- so apparently the app uses JavaScript.

Anyhow, the beta did just introduce the ability to set the number of episodes of a series you want to keep - 3, 5, 7, etc. So that's a refinement.