Dumped Dish After 19 Years.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by R DAVIS, Nov 28, 2019.

1. R DAVIS

R DAVIS Cool Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I've been a Dish Network subscriber for over 19 years, and finally have decided to cancel use of them and go to streaming TV.

I really never had any major complaints until a few months ago when Charlie Ergan arrogantly stated that the regional sports network fans would forget all about their RSNs after a month or so.
    Well, I didn't forget, and wanted to be able to keep viewing my favorite teams, San Antonio Spurs, Texas Rangers, and Dallas Stars.

Why he would take the position he did, and the way he went about it, with the advent of more and more folks switching to streaming is beyond me. His attitude put me off so I pulled the plug.

I was fortunate to recently have reliable high speed internet (with no data cap) become available where I live out in the country in rural south Texas. The cost is significantly less that Dish too, for many more available channels, with a picture as good as Dish. There are also no weather outages. I've been streaming for about a month now, and have had no issues or problems with it.

Had the RSN issue been resolved, I likely would have remained a Dish customer, at least for a while longer. I have no quarrel with Dish other than that issue. The cancellation process was easy and handled very smoothly and professionally by the the Dish CSR.

I am just posting this to get it off my chest, and wish I wasn't forced to make the change. I wish the best for Dish in the face of the rapidly increased competition from streaming, but fear Charlie has alienated many customers.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    ibjimbo likes this.
  2. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I think Charlie along with a lot of cable & satellite CEO's are tired of the strong arm tactics of programmers these days. The prices they demand from the carriers is completely crazy. Charlie may have been a bit out of line on the comment, but where does this end? If Charlie would have agreed to the demands the prices would have gone up. Myself, I am not a sports fan period, and I do not like having to pay for a zillion channels of sports just to get the good channels I receive in AT250, but the programmers made the demands. If Dish wants ABC and Disney, they have to carry ESPN. ESPN is outrageous on what they charge. So the carriers are caught between a raising the prices or doing without the channels. I am a cord shaver myself having the Roku/Fire Stick/Chromecast, but as far I have seen cord cutting is not close to what cable/satellite is as yet. The deal the other day, some streaming service (paid) got HSN & QVC...Big deal, as both are free streaming anyway. The DVR features are not there as yet either. I don't dig the "cloud" thing as the saved program is not there permanently. Add to that, many channels do not even stream as yet. For the person that just wants to watch the On Demand stuff, cord cutting may work for them, but for live TV cable/satellite is better. Like others I do like paying the price to get it all, but at this point unless I really want to do without a lot stuff, I'll stay with Dish. I have been with them continually for over 20 years myself. Someday maybe streaming will be on par with satellite/cable, but not yet. By the way, I haven't liked it when Dish lost some channels, or haven't added new them. So it all has not been rosy for me either, but considering the alternatives, I will stick it out with Dish. Dish has been very good to me. One other thing, if you want all of your locals via streaming, forget it. You will be lucky to find the main 4 or 5. Out where I live, we do not get all of the locals OTA, so Dish is great. They even are carrying more sub channels these days, many that are not available OTA here.

3. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    I also don't like to pay for channels I do not watch, but that is beyond my control. I rely on the FOX Regional Sports Nets for lots of my sports programming. Losing them along with HBO and CINEMAX is a huge blow for me. I can get HBO and MAX via streaming, but that will just add to my cost of viewing what I want. I haven't decided what do do about the Sports Nets. Sadly many of the channels we lose require a satellite or cable sub in order to stream. I do not think it will be long until streaming replaces both cable and satellite. At present that will be very costly because each channel will have its own streaming service.

4. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    Are you streaming the FOX Sports Nets? If so, which service do you use to stream them.

5. R DAVIS

R DAVIS Cool Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Yes, just like on Dish, all games are available (for my regional teams, home and away, just like it used to be on Dish). I subscribe to both Fubo TV and You Tube TV. They both carry the Fox RSNs, along with most all other sports programming. These two services differ slightly in their programming, and between the two, just about everything (and of course much, much more) including the 5 main local network broadcast channels that are available on Dish are available between these two, minus many of the religious and shopping channels. The only thing I miss is being able to watch the non sporting events programming on the rest of the RSNs (like fishing shows out of Florida) that were available on Dish before.

I also bought a Tablo device which allows me to view, and record ALL the local over the air channels including the sub channels. The Tablo is about $200 plus whatever hard drive desired, and a decent over the air antenna. I am fairly close to the San Antonio broadcast antennas, so my reception is perfect. There are no monthly or other fees for Tablo, except for an available 14 day guide for $5 / mo., or $150 for lifetime subscription. Otherwise it's only a 24 hour guide.

It's not necessary to subscribe to two services like I did, but it allows me to see everything I ever had on Dish, and more.

These services are available for free trial, and there is no contract or commitment, they are on a monthly basis. I'm much happier now than I ever was with Dish.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Without knowing what the RSNs (mostly now owned by SInclair) were asking for it is hard to pick a side. It is the negotiator's for the RSN's job to get the best deal possible (most money) for the RSN. DISH's negotiators have the opposite challenge to keep the costs low (and avoid needing to charge more as a blanket increase or an extra fee such as DIRECTV's increasing RSN fees).

One can demand that DISH carry the channels "at any price" but would customers be willing to pay $100 per month more for the RSNs to return? $10 per month more? DISH is negotiating on behalf of their customers. "At any price" doesn't work when the content owners want higher payments, the customers want steady prices and the profit margin is already slim. No distributor can afford to write blank checks to programmers.

Unfortunately in a stalemate nobody wins. Sinclair is not getting paid for the millions of DISH customers not subscribing to their channels. DISH is losing some customers who find other providers. And customers are missing some of their content. But DISH still managed to increase net subscriber count last quarter - so perhaps Mr Ergen is right about the RSNs. Most of the people who would consider the lack of RSNs a deal breaker have left. Getting the channels back is not as important as trying to stop them from being removed. Especially "at any cost".

ibjimbo likes this.
  7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    That is totally true with Dish Anywhere, and the separate streaming apps I get both Dish and On Demand. If I miss a movie on for instance TCM, I used to say, I may not have a chance to see the movie for years as TCM does not often repeat often, not like a lot of more current TV channels. Now, I can easily get it off their site. Since adding their Fire Stick which works for Dish Anywhere, that is a free addition for me. Plus there are a few other channels on the Dish Anywhere app, not live streaming on Dish.

Picked picked up HBO/Cinemax streaming for a time, until I did not see that much more I wanted. The cost for exactly the same $14.99 a month I paid with Dish. HBO is took expensive for what is offered. I just picked up Disney+ on a deal.
    Remember the streaming services have the same issues with contracts Dish has. Some channels have disputes at times. One advantage of streaming, that you can easily switch to another provider without any fees or taxes. So streaming does have that advantage.
    I watch a program online called "Cord Cutters". There is a lot of good advice there. They suggest you try streaming before dropping cable/satellite to see if it is really for you.

8. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Dish is going for the people who don’t care about sports. I have the Flex pack and don’t even have ESPN and it doesn’t matter to me. It does matter to me that I don’t spend much on TV channels that I don’t watch.

jamelar likes this.
  9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    A year ago I was looking at the Tablo and then the Recast came out. Since I have Roku, Chromecast the Fire TV, I figured the deal for two tuner Recast for $129, as it works only on the Fire TV, which is okay with me. I would give it a shot. I am not disappointed. It works great with no fees for the guide either going out 2 weeks. The OTA guide on Dish is really messed up except for the sub channels and I don't see them fixing it anytime soon. So I went for the Recast and the 2 week guide is very accurate. Even when on OTA station changed from Decades to Bounce, it took maybe a day to switch it. Thank goodness I still have my big dish to get Decades, that I really miss.

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I looked at the Flex back, but no enough on there for me. I would love to get a package like AT250 without sports.

satcrazy likes this.
  11. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. I will look into those services. I am mostly interested in FOXSSW because of the Texas Rangers and the Texas High School football playoffs.

12. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    I looked at Fubo TV. Sadly it looks as if the only option there is a package deal that costs way too much just to get the one channel I want. I already get all the other channels in the package from DISH. I wish I could find a streaming service that offered just FSSW, or at least a package that was not so expensive.

I still have to check to see what options You Tube TV has.

renbutler likes this.
  13. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...

Where did you get the DISH App for firestick? It's not on my fire pendant OR Roku.

14. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
  15. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Dish anywhere, you can search for Dish Anywhere, with a voice command or typing it in to the search bar on the Fire Stick. Dish Anywhere is not available on the Roku. I have no idea why either, that is why I bought an inexpensive Fire Stick mainly to get the app.

16. jaynalefse

jaynalefse New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Done with Dish today. After 20+ years. Losing HBO was the first straw, but since it was an "add-on" I could get by with streaming it separately. Losing the RSNs was the last straw. I waited 6 months for them to come back, but it looks hopeless. A sad day for sure, as Dish has always had superior DVR technology and picture quality, but I'm a YouTubeTV subscriber now. The rep tried hard to keep me, offering a variety of discounts and freebies, but had no answer for this: "if you don't provide the programming I want (ie. Fox Sports North), even if your service was free, it would still have no value to me".

billyfury, DavidP and ibjimbo like this.
  17. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    You got to remember that even though someone else has the channels you want at this time, doesn't mean they will always have them. All of the providers have lost channels and some never get them back. DISH has lost some I miss so I will just add them streaming. But I keep DISH as they have everything else I want. No streaming service to date can offer everything DISH does. I looked for months, but DISH still rocks and they try to keep their prices down even though many programmers want $$$$$. Depending on what your needs are.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sorry. I would say it's not correct... there are a few facts what telling opposite.

19. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    Can you get the FOX Sports RSNs on YouTubeTV?

20. jaynalefse

jaynalefse New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Yes - that is the main reason I subscribed to YouTubeTV