Dunkirk

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by dpeters11, Jul 23, 2017.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Anyone else see this over the weekend? I strongly recommend going to a theater, the biggest screen possible. Extremely well done!

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Some of the survivors of the actual event said that the movie was louder than the real battle. It is an interesting story and the premier was promoted on the talk shows last week.

3. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    Interesting and entertaining movie - very well done. I wish more movies like this were made.

The dogfight scenes were awesome. Personally, I would enjoy more well made military stories whether they be historical or modern that show air and naval combat. With modern technology movies can really bring these to life - even if some of it might be somewhat over the top.

4. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Looking forward to seeing it.

5. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Won't see it until released to PPV but look forward to it.

6. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    I certainly understand waiting, however this is one of those movies where a good theater brings a unique experience.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Sometimes it’s easy to tell if the cinematography will be great. If Nolan did the movie, then it will be. I will probably see this movie soon, I was rather surprised to see it’s rather short running time which made me want to see it even more.

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Will be looking forward to adding "Dunkirk" to my collection when it's released on 4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray. I recently added "Hacksaw Ridge" to my collection. It's another must see WW II film. For those who have HBO it's playing this month.

9. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Agree Hacksaw Ridge was well done.

10. audiomaster

audiomaster DBSTalk Club Member

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    When I played Dunkirk in my media room, the wife. who was in the other end of the house, opened the door and said "The house is shaking!"
    Hmm. Must be the dual Gauss 18 inch subs in the custom 12 cubic foot boxes? Or maybe the Crown 2400?
    None of the china came off the shelves though, so I think it's all good. Great sound track.

11. RobLee

RobLee New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I didn't really fully appreciate the importance of the Dunkirk storyline until watched the two latest Winston Churchill films: Darkest Hour (2017) and Churchill (2017). So, if you really want to understand the Dunkirk story, I highly recommend those films.