DVD and Blu-ray sales nearly halved over five years, MPAA report says

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Holtz, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Ars Technica:

DVD and Blu-ray sales nearly halved over five years, MPAA report says
    The MPAA report is chock-full of interesting figures about a changing industry.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

APB101 likes this.
  2. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Hope the physical media stays for awhile longer since not all areas don't have net fast enough or have caps.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wasn't surprised by this article when I read it the other day. Samsung stopped making/selling UHD players a few months ago and I can understand why. I was looking forward to buying a UHD player but NF never seemed interested in UHD discs and that killed that idea. I haven't used any of my BD players in quite some time...meanwhile, we have a growing library of digital 4K movies on iTunes, well over a hundred titles. I realize I'd get a better picture on a disc, I know a BD will give me a better picture than what I see on a 1080p NF or AP program, but how much better? I really have no idea and absolutely no intention of ever having a bunch of movies on discs that I'm gonna end up giving away because something better comes along. That happened with VCR tapes, DVDs and BDs. I've learned.

Rich

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Here's three reasons why discs are still a good option...They give you the best audio/video quality...They work when cable/satellite are down...They work when the internet is down.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The marketplace drives these decisions. If the discs don't sell, less discs will be offered in the future. Distributors will follow the money.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm probably gonna jinx myself by saying this...our sat system never goes down. Our Internet never goes down. It's damn near impossible for us to lose power. Agree about the PQ, but you know I don't want to go thru losing all the physical media again. Watching all those bins leaving the house hurt.

Rich

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From my perspective, the jump VHS to DVD was a dramatic jump in multiple aspects in terms of picture quality (from 240i to 480i), features (multiple audio tracks, subtitles), and the reduced cost of manufacturing (I had heard it cost almost $1 to duplicate a tape in quantity, verses a few cents for a physical disc). In comparison, the junp to BluRay (1080p) and UltraHD (4K) wasn't that great of a technological improvement in comparison. Still, the home media market took a big hit in late 2008-2009, and with the advent of mobile devices (smart phones and tablets), that made viewing video on the go much easier.

8. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Funny thing you should say that. My sister who went all streaming for her music and video (and gave me her CDs) had her service (due to a cell network issue in her area) go down for a day and was complaining she couldn't listen to music or watch videos. I teased her saying "You know those CDs you gave me? I got music going right now!"

TheRatPatrol and MysteryMan like this.
  9. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While streaming is convenient it doesn't always provide you with all the options and features DVDs and Blu-rays provide. With DVDs and Blu-rays you get the original aspect ratio of the feature. Some streaming services provide this while others don't. With DVDs and Blu-rays you get a variety of audio options. Again, some streaming services provide this while others don't. Many DVDs and Blu-rays come with a variety of extra options. And again, some streaming services provide this while others don't. I use streaming services via Roku and my Android TV but they're not as reliable as my Blu-ray player because of my internet service provider (Spectrum). Even though I use a wired system with CAT6 cables and get 120 Mbps I experience freeze ups and buffering when using a streaming service. I don't experience that annoyance with DVDs and Blu-rays.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gotta disagree a little bit about the DVDs. When I started renting and buying BDs I lost all interest in DVDs in general because of the very noticeable difference in PQ between the DVDs and BDs. Guess I'll never get to compare BDs with UHD discs. Something I looked forward to.

Rich

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The big difference between BDs and UHDs is HDR.

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From my viewpoint, the technological improvement from VHS to DVD was a big improvement not only in picture quality, but feature set as well. (Some of the stuff that made LaserDiscs great got ported over to DVDs). From that aspect, BluRay wasn't that big of a technological improvement beyond the better PQ (1080p vs 480i), and smaller still with UltraHD.

Of course, DBSTalk consists of folks who are more knowledgeable about movies and picture quality. There are folks who have picked up HDTVs, but still have DVD players hooked up to watch the movies. Or, worse yet, they may have a BluRay player, but pick up the cheaper DVD discs. o_O

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    On top of better picture quality Menu accessibility was improved with Blu-rays. With DVDs if you need access to the Menu while viewing the movie the movie stops playing and the Menu appears. With Blu-rays you can view the Menu via pop-up while the movie continues playing.

14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    That can be considered as an advantage or a disadvantage.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'd also consider that a feature that could be done with DVDs. Perhaps the feature is just an improvement in player technology.

16. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I have 78rpm phonograph records. And a Victrola with a handle to wind it up. Quality is not great, but some content is unavailable otherwise.

I would not want to depend on phonograph records to listen to music. Of course vinyl has made a minor comeback.

I feel much the same about video tapes and discs. Yeah, I have shelves full of them. But I wouldn't buy one today, except for content unavailable otherwise

My son did give me one this past Christmas. It was from a specialty company that licenses stuff otherwise unavailable. He knew that for years I wanted a copy of the made-for-TV docudrama CBS Friday Night Movie Sunshine which aired on November 9, 1973, starring Christina Raines, Cliff DeYoung, Meg Foster, and Brenda Vaccaro which had the John Denver performance of his song "Sunshine on My Shoulders" as its theme song.

That was a thoughtful Christmas present.

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I have transformed most of my 33, 45, and 78 rpm recordings to MP3's using Audacity. I have also transferred a lot of my old cassette tapes to MP3's the same way, although I had to buy a new tape deck at about $30 to do so.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I only buy certain movies anymore as it is, but if I buy one I prefer to only buy the version that has a Blu-ray 4K and Blu-ray 1080p and digital versions of the movie and are on sale. I just don’t buy movies like I used to...