DVD Decrypter is no more

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Danny R, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    In case some of you haven't heard, DVD Decrypter has been ordered to cease and desist. Their website is gone now too. Since this topic isn't just computer related, but deals with copyright and fair use, I thought I'd put it in potpourri.

Here is a message from its developer:

I use DVD Decrypter regularly. I often copied the images of rental dvd's from netflix to my computer for later watching, thus allowing me to ship the DVD's back immediately but still enjoy the rentals over the course of a week. As it is I only get one shipment from Netflix a week now, and timing it so Netflix has my returns on Monday is necessary so I get the latest releases in a timely manner. I don't burn rentals to blanks, and the images are usually gone in a week's time as well. I've always been comfortable (although lawyers will likely disagree) that this is "fair use".

Also, I made copies of DVD's that my nieces watch (that I own). Thus far this consists of all the Disney and other animation titles. This in my opinion is mandatory, because children watch movies 50 million times, and I've already had to replace several of my copies due to scratches. I'm not risking the original media (some of which is no longer available in stores) in the hands of a 2 year old.

2. bhawley

bhawley AllStar

Oct 26, 2002
    You should do this, block using your firewall. :(

3. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Ah, too bad. I too make backup copies of certain DVD's I own. I have, and still use, the now defunct DVDXcopy Platinum. Not the most elegant solution but it works. I also use a very good and easy to use program called 123copydvd. I downloaded it for about $20 and it works very well. I think I'm within my fair use rights making backup copies of stuff I own. A while back I put in my special edition Saving Private Ryan dvd and it wouldn't play, period. It is in pristine condition, not a single scratch or fingerprint. By Hollywoods reasoning, too bad, go buy another for $25. I wish I had made a backup copy.

Here is the way I understand it. The courts ruled a long time ago you could make a cassette recording of a vinyl album or a copy of a music CD for personal use as long as you purchased the original. The same would apply to dvd's except they employ the CSS protection mechanism. The DMCA makes it illegal to circumvent CSS and therefore illegal to copy dvd's.

I don't think Hollywood can ever win this thing. The cat is out of the bag. They can spend millions of dollars and thousands of hours going after individual companies and websites but something else will pop up to replace the ones they shut down. There are other Jon Johansens out there.
    I've heard that 321 Studios, the company that sold DVDxCopy, is alive and well in other countries where the RIAA, Hollywood and the US courts have no jurisdiction. ;)

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    And, so, the DMCA bites again. Sounds like DVD Decrypter was a victim of Sony's ARccOS lawyers.

5. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    So how long will it be before they go after DVDShrink? :nono2:

6. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Rationalizing the use of copying software to illegally copy and archive protected content you have not purchased and do not own in no way makes it legal, morally justifiable, even though some here may consider it socially acceptable. It's just a another way of stealing. :shrug:

The system I use seems to work well - I buy the DVD. It keeps me legal and honest.

7. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    I look at it like this. If you could receive Directv or Dish Network by using some kind of software would you do it? Many are stealing dvds this way. They buy the dvd , copy it , and sell the original on the internet. I have heard they are going to release a new protection that may not be able to be cracked.

8. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    This makes me think of an old quote from Star Wars EP4

Governor Tarkin: Princess Leia, before your execution, you will join me at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational. No star system will dare oppose the Emperor now.

Princess Leia: The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

:nono:

9. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    That's the same system that I use and it works quite well. :D

10. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Totally agree. I have only made backup copies of stuff I that I have purchased - period. I'm not interested in making copies for friends or whoever. The only reason I back up dvd's is to protect the originals.

11. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    The only reason I back up dvd's is to protect the originals.

Not an excuse as far as these companies care. This is the same mindset that wanted to ban VCRs in the past, and is targetting DVRs today because you can skip commercials.

12. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, I know. They tried to keep the compact cassette off the market in 1962 and then the recordable 8-track and every other recording device that's ever come down the pike. They thought the cassette would doom them and people would quit buying vinyl albums. Didn't happen. They thought the VCR would ruin them. Didn't happen. They are using the same tired old argument today they did in 1962.

13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    All I want to do is make a legitimate copy of a DVD that I own to my laptop's hard drive for later viewing. Someone of my DVDs in my large collection is quite irreplacable.

DVDs introduction was delayed because the picture quality was so good, the studios feared the ease of copying. Yet, the studios are now making money hand over foot in DVD sales because the cost to punch out a batch of DVDs is much lower than a batch of VHS tapes. They have also discovered another market in selling old TV shows on DVD.

But, then you look at the stories about bootleg DVDs and such circulating the Internet. I don't think anyone anticipating the changes to technology in 25 years.

14. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Danny and others- You all don't need to come here and treat the readers like we were priests. No confessions please. Do what you want and answer for what you did to those who are concerned.
    The content producers know there are three ways they can deal with piracy.
    1. technology
    2. the law
    3. Extortion and intimidation (above the law)

Since technology is known not to work, they will now resort to legal ways of dealing with the problem. Others have now resorted to method #3. It has been widely reported in the press that DirecTV has resorted to #3. I suspect the ones behind the above shutdown will eventually resort to #3 as well. I agree with Richard and Nick- Buy the damn DVD. They really aren't that expensive, especially if you consider buying used DVD's from the rental store. Wait long enough and you can get them for $5ea. Personally, I know my habit of making DVHS copies of HDTV movies was more of a sickness, obsession. Fact is I don't hardly watch any of them. Yet they continue to clutter up my shelves. Since the DVR/921 purchase, I stopped doing that, making HDTV DVHS tapes. With DVD's I only buy a few classics. I just bought the entiire collection of Starwars 1-6, and waiting for 3 when it comes out. With so much new stuff, I don't see the point in collecting all those older movies except the classics that I make the time to watch over and over.

I had this rule that I break everytime I get bit by the collection bug. It is that if I need to rent a DVD twice, I really should buy it. Chances are I will want to watch it a third time. I own under 40 DVD's now and that is really too many!

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Sigh. The cat's out of the bag. No matter how much you try, the software isn't going to disappear. It just may become harder to find. Personally, I prefer smart ripper. Rips/decodes/decrypts the VOBs, then Gordian Knot does a great job of converting them to a Divx/XviD for me. It's sad that another program bites the dust due to laws like this, but it's by no means suprising.

16. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    DVD copy software is almost a necessity. We have a dvd bought a couple years ago - its now difficult to play. Others play just fine, something has happened to the disk. I don't see the movie studios offering to replace that disk with one that works. Stuff happens to these disks, especially if you have kids. A backup copy is a good idea. The studios are just alienating the public by their rediculous position on copywrite law. The ones they need to concentrate on are pirates in China and elsewhere who seem to be able to rip a new release and get it out in mass. Hopefully some sanity will return thanks to the supreme court reigning in the movie studios. They successfully wrecked an honest business (321Studios) over their paranoia

17. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Well, color me devil's advocate !devil12: (and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this :flaiming), but what ever do any of you people do if something MAJOR should happen like your microwave goes on the blink or your car has powered its last horse? :confused: :shrug:

:grin:

18. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Actually Chris... I think the author of it is now working for Nero and they are using or are going to use some of his ideas... there is an article at Avsforum in the Htpc forum regarding all of this...Doom9 also has info... I enjoy burning the favorite parts of some of my dvds to single discs...(lately all I have been burning is downrezzed Hd from both my Panny standalone at high bitrate or from one of my Replay's...

19. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
  20. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    It's interesting that his web site says it's back and he is looking for developers...
    I wonder what's going on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.