1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Writer and VOB Editor

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Holtz, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Anyone got any suggestions for a a DVD burner drive?

Also, any good suggestions on some cheap video editing software? I'm working with some VOB files, and want to combine several of them together, along with chapter stops.

I'm not looking for the snaziest package either....

2. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    I have a Plextor PX-708A burner. DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, 40x CD It will burn at 8x DVD, just not sure which format. I would highly recommend it. Price: $249

As for the editing, go with Pinnacle. You can pick it up for about $80

3. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I found a lg drive on clearance at wallyworld it does dvd-r, -rw, and ram a couple of months ago for under 120$. Bought a generic pioneer 105 last year. TMPEGnc dvd author is pretty good, use nero engine with Img tool burn also. www.doom9.net has some good ideas and links.

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I picked up a Liteon DVD+-RW drive at BB for $79 on the day after Thanksgiving. I added to that a Pinacle Studio 8+ software which came with a video capture card and Analog input interface. Digital video can plug directly into the card. I have only recorded one DVD so far, a copy of a VHS tape I made off my C/Ku dish in Minnesota of hurricaine Erin wild feed coverage. The uplink trucks were set up in front of the Ocean Grill, about 4 blocks from my house here in Vero Beach. The one DVD I have made is 2 hours long. All went well, except the audio gradually lagged the video through the whole project until by the end it was off by several seconds. I have to do some research to find out why this happened. It was off in the computer, before going to the DVD, so I know the DVD recorded what was sent to it just fine.

By the way, the recording that I made was a DVD+ disc. So far it has worked on both of the stand alone DVD players that I have tried it on and both of the computer DVD drives I have tried it on. The stand alone players were each about a year old and of two different brands (one Toshiba and one off brand). I haven't tried it on my ancient Toshiba DVD player as I am sure it won't work there. :(

So, how do I fix the audio/video sync problem? :(