DVR Comparison - Collaborative thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request (private)' started by tfederov, Apr 27, 2009.

1. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Doug made a mention that it's probably time to dust off the ol' comparison doc and get it updated with stuff for CE and current. To get this updated, here are my thoughts as far as guidelines to move forward.

- CEs are not off limits for comparison
    - Anything that we know that might be in the pipeline relatively soon (a month?) could be included if those in the know are inclined to share.
    - Do we need to pull any DVRs out? The HR10-250 needs to stay in because of the latest CE, it'll help to show those TiVo holdouts that DLB does now exist on the HR2x platform.

We pretty much have about five months worth of improvements to get in this doc. I am also thinking of tweaking it a little with Stuart's help if he's so inclined. I'm wondering if we want to put a pic of the front of the DVR up at the top of each column. Also pulling it out of Excel format and prettying it up somehow.

Attached you'll find the current version in Excel format to begin the brainstorm. I'll keep the doc updated with your additions but feel free to download this one and send me the updates either by attaching it to a post or emailing it to me at:

tony.federico@ymail.com

Looking forward to getting on this and making it a dbstalk gem!

Tony

2. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    I've gone ahead and copied all of the notes as far as I know for both platforms to use as reference.

Another note, I may be scarce during the day because of work but will try working on this in the evenings.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm glad to help out here, and produce a new document with the "DBSTalk look." Only thing I must say is it's sort of a one-way street. Once I take it in for polishing, I'll be using programs that most of you don't have, so I'd like to make sure the spreadsheet is completely good before I start, since I'll have to make all the changes myself once the formatting is done.

4. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks, Stuart.

There really wasn't a whole lot of tweaking that needed to be done. I've added MRV and DLB for the HR2x crowd. Didn't find anything from the software notes on the DISH side to add. I think until the 922 is officially out, we could hold off on it for now.

Changes with this version:

Quicktune - Does DISH have anything familiar? Pushing the up arrow on the DIRECTV remote will bring up nine favorite channels. Anything similar?
    DLB and MRV - pretty obvious there ;)
    Take a look at #11 at the bottom. Is this still the fact for the HR2x?

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Let's definitely get a column for the 922 in this list. We know it's coming soon and we can take a stab at what we think the answer will be for the lines. I'm going to go through the items today to see if we need more items for comparison .. Probably not, cause you have a great list, Tony.

I don't think any of the DISH folks can comment on the 922 yet, but we should know some amount of information from CES, etc. and we will also note that that column is preliminary based on pre-release press and subject to change.

6. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Yeah, I got that from Jason too. We can list what might be there as long as we put a disclaimer.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Here are a few things that come to mind right away.

Scoreguide.

You can search/autorecord title, genre and HD

Should Wishlist be a separate category? No different than saved AUTORECORDs, really, except for saved SEARCH limit.

Not sure if it's on the HR10-250 now, but there's the new TiVo overlap protection, which automatically deals with the :59 or :01 start/stop times, by auto trimming shows based on priority.

TiVo also has a recycle bin.

Tough call on whether or not to change the HR2x CIG from manual to YES on that chart. I'd actually call it a "no" for the HR2x's, because as far as SEARCH AUTORECORD goes, it's a non-feature, and many folks want it for that reason, so they will think the chart is misleading. /steve

8. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    There's a recycle bin on the HR10-250 now?

9. May 1, 2009 #9 of 11
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  10. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Changed Single overlap to Yes for HR10-250, added recycle bin to HR10-250, changed Autorecord - Title to Yes for HR2x. Added a column for 922, it's just a copy from the prior column. I'll need DISH folks to fill in those blanks.

Wishlists in this spreadsheet refer to the TiVo Wishlist which I believe they own the rights to software-wise, could be wrong there.

Does superscript item #11 still hold true?

Also for the record.... this site doesn't like Office 2007 docs. :D

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'd change the heading to "WishList" functionality, then, because it's the same app conceptually. Just my .02.

Also, as I mentioned above, you can SEARCH/AUTORECORD by "genre" and "HD" as well, either using KEYWORDS (HDTV, SPORTS, MUSIC, etc), or selecting from the next screen after KEYWORDS.

RE: #11, I'm not sure what "record all" means. There's "First-run, Repeats, or Both", and AFAIK, all those options are always present during SL set-up.

/steve