1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR doesn't download program guide, doesn't record

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jpk, Sep 18, 2017.

1. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    I've been using ViP612's for ten years. Over that time I've had multiple HD fails, so multiple replacement DVRs sent. The most recent replacement came with a new twist: it doesn't record. You set it to record something, it gives no error, it just doesn't record.

On investigation, I found the program guide was "NO INFO" on all channels for all times further out than a couple of hours. I also found that when I go to My Recordings I get error 145: Server connection failure. Receiver unable to connect to network server. That's accurate: I don't let my DVR on my network or phone line. Since I don't order PPV that works fine.

Dish tech support has been clueless on this. We go through the guide download; it does the green progress bar, then the guide comes up with NO INFO again. Then: it needs software update, put it in standby mode. Did last night; no improvement. Now they want to send out another replacement DVR. Seriously.

Does this ring any bells?

Any help or tips appreciated!

-- Jon

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You got a replacement with a bad hard drive. It may be as simple as an unplugged hard drive or an actual failure.

DishnetSuperfan and jpk like this.
  3. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    Wow, seriously? That simple?

Well that would make their offer for another replacement a reasonable approach, at least.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    ask for hopper 3 no less ;)

5. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    How do I transfer my recordings to hopper 3?

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    just buy USB EHD (any size desired by you), connect it to your current H and transfer all relevant recordings to it; later connect it to your new H3

jpk likes this.
  7. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    That sounds great and indeed I do already own and use a USB EHD with my ViP612.

But some say the H3 won't read/accept the video stored on the EHD. And some say it will.
    You've done this?

Thanks!

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    just try it, latest version of FW should accept the EHD

9. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Remember how it got to you it wasn't treated with kid gloves, it was manhandled like freight.

10. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    Bad hard drive it was. Got a replacement for the replacement.