1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR internet connection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stblake10, Apr 21, 2009.

1. stblake10

stblake10 Godfather

Feb 1, 2007
    I had a questioned asked in regards to connecting the HD DVR to the internet. How does one do this wirelessly if hard wire is not a good idea.

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    With a wireless router and a wireless gaming adapter for the HR units, as offered via D* (Linksys WGA600N). Works very well.

3. stblake10

stblake10 Godfather

Feb 1, 2007
    Thank you for the info.

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    You can also get the powerline adaptors. No wire to run. But the WGA600N is very nice and easy to set up.

5. juniormaj

juniormaj Legend

Feb 9, 2009
    Newbury...
    Another big plus for the WGA600N is that it requires no computer for configuration. All of the settings can be done through the HR2x menu system, so it truly acts as a seamless extension of the receiver.

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    When used with a compatible Linksys router, it can also be configured by accessing the router with your browser, pressing a button on the WGA600N and enabling it as part of the router configuration.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How? I just sent one back. Asked me for a password that only they knew. After putting in every password we use the damn thing still didn't work and I called up for tech help and got nowhere.

How do you set it up using an HR? I wanted to use it to feed a work station switch that would then be hardwired to my four 20-700s.

Rich

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006

Connect
    Menu>Setup>Network>Connect now

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Aww, that easy? Now I gotta get another one. Thanx.

Rich

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    There's a few steps after the connect now. SSID, password but that's it.
    After that I even connected it to my mac and works seamlessly with that too.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do you get to make up your password on a keyboard on the HR much like the search keyboards? What is an SSID?

Rich

12. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    You tipe in your password in the same way as a search. 10 seconds tops.

SSID is pretty much the name of your network.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Any password? Or is there a particular password, such as "admin" that you have to use?

And that goes where? What does SSID mean? How come everybody knows all this stuff and I don't? :confused:

Rich

14. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    No, the admin password is the one you use to enter the base station.
    Most people set a password on their wireless network to avoid other people using their internet connect and to safeguard their personal data.
    If you don't have a password on your network you don't have to enter it.

When you setup your security setting you can make a password or have the base station make one for you

From wiki: Service set identifier, or SSID, is a friendly name used to identify the particular 802.11 wireless LAN(s).
    You can set this in the admin tools to be whatever you want. A lot of them come with a 'default' or their brand name as default SSID

To this I don't have an answer

15. DeanS

DeanS Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I just bought the WGAN600 but haven't had a chance to set it up yet with my HR20. I don't expect to encounter any problems but my situation may be a bit "wierd."

I have an Apple Airport Extreme "N" base station connected to my Windows Vista PC. It was previously connected to an XP machine and on that machine I set up the base station utility with password etc. I didn't do this on the Vista PC. I just plugged the router into the new Vista PC and it all worked (internet connection & email, that is). My laptop (an MBP) in the kitchen works fine on this "network." It finds my "Apple Network" and I can do internet browsing and email just fine. I have never attempted to share files between the two computers and don't need to.

Will the WGAN600 recognize my "network?" (I'm thinking it will because my MBP does). Will it ask for a WEP or WPA security password? (I set this up when I first installed the Airport Extreme on the XP machine and it has both upper and lower case letters in it).

I checked and the network map on the Vista PC just has internet-gateway-PC. Did Windows Vista "create" a network on its own when I just plugged the AE base station into it? All connections to the internet at the Vista PC and at my MBP (using Aiport wireless) are just fine.

Sorry for being such a newb at this. I'm just curious if any of you think I will be okay or if you think I will have to run a network setup routine....

Thanks.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Rhetorical question. I should have it in a couple days. I'll give you a shout if I have a problem, if you don't mind. I've always had difficulty with wireless devices.

I was ready to give up on my D-Link wireless router when all of a sudden Vista took charge of the operation and set up the router properly all by itself. I do like Vista. Never have understood what was wrong with it and why so may people complained about it. Best OS I've ever seen on a computer, except for the Mac, of course.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh, this is great! Maybe I'll actually get the thing going. All the info must reside in the PC, right? Wonder where?

Rich

18. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Sure PM me anytime.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I should get it Monday. I also found a completely different set of instructions in the reviews of the device on Amazon.

I'm not looking forward to this.

Rich

20. DeanS

DeanS Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I did get around to installing the WGAN600 last evening. It found my network in an instant but I couldn't get it to take my security password even after several attempts. Since I had not set up my Apple Airport Extreme base station on my new Vista PC, I re-installed it without security password just to avoid complications.

Went back out to the HR20 and ran setup again and "bingo" the HR20 was connected to the internet. I found it interesting that D* sent its MediaShare program and Direct2PC program to my PC which I allowed to be set up.

I will secure my network later on this evening and delve into how all this new stuff works. But I do have two quick questions: (a) what kind of security is friendly to the WGA600N - WEP or WPA? (b) does MediaShare access photos only on a Windows PC and what about photos on an external hard drive connected to the PC?

Thanks.