1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR no longer included in premier package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by rlgold88, Sep 18, 2007.

1. rlgold88

rlgold88 Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Decided to check my account bill on D* and found a dvr service charge of $5.99. This used to be included with my premier package. on augest bill it says dvr service 5.99/mo included base package. Sept bill its separate and charging me. So I guess D* is going to start charging for my DVR service.

I have 3 hr20 are they going to charge 5.99 per receiver in the future?
    since There are rumors that the new HD channels D* are adding are going to cost another $5 bucks or more on top of the 9.99 we all ready pay, as some forums have suggested.

I am not complaining here but I may have to get rid of some of my receivers to offset the dvr charges.
    I wish D* warned me this was going to happen,
    Anybody else get charged for the dvr service I thought I was grandfathered in since I had premier with hd dvr service for over 3 years.

Bummer that I need to get rid of a receiver or 2 because they are all used one for sports one for sitcom and primetime and the last for movies.

I dont mind paying the money for the new hd programing I just wished D* would have informed of the new dvr charges before adding them.

2. byrdpack

byrdpack AllStar

Jan 17, 2007
    I would definitely call them. I don't think that everyone's grandfathering on this charge is ending all of a sudden.

3. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    Even if they stop grandfathering and you get charged $5.99 for DVR service, this will only be $5.99 per account, regardless of how many DVR's you have. Customers without Premier have always been charged only ONE fee per account for as many DVR's they may have.

4. rlgold88

rlgold88 Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Is it just me getting the dvr charge all of a sudden or is everybody? Like I said I have had the premier packeage with dvr charge included for over 3 years. And on this bill it suddenly was not included maybe I should call.

5. chuckrollz

chuckrollz AllStar

Dec 1, 2006
    i can handle the extra 5.99 if its per account and not per reciever

6. forecheck

forecheck Legend

Jun 13, 2002
    My statement closed yesterday, and while I can't see it yet, I can see the amount due is the normal amount, not $5.99 more (if there was a DVR fee). Also, under recent activity, Premier is listed as a charge on 9/18, and no DVR fee is listed separately.

7. thart

thart Legend

Oct 10, 2006
    It should be per account.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If someone gets an answer from DIRECTV, let us all know here.

9. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    I believe D* announced not too long ago that the Premier Package would no longer include the DVR fee. So I would think everyone who has Premier should be seeing the separate DVR charge.

10. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I have two DVR's I am only charged once $5.99 dvr charge

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006

They also stated that those of us who already have Premier would not see this. Our DVR charge would still be included in the Premier package.

12. rlgold88

rlgold88 Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Ok I just got off the phone with D*. And explained my situation They looked into my account and ssid that I should not of been charged the dvr fees. The cs got confirmation from supervisor they are crediting this months bill of the 5.99 charge and it should not be on the next bill. They told me that a cs may have did something to the accout since I just bought last month 2 hr20 receivers to repalce the hr10-250's and added the protection plan.

So all is good here.
    P.S. For new users with Premier package you will have to pay the dvr fee seperately. For those that have had the premier packeage with dvr included should be included for the time being Those were his exact words for the time being.
    But atleast for now no charge for me.

13. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    I was just going to sign up for premier, but I noticed DVR was not included, so I presume it's too late? What was the deadline?

14. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    I believe that train left the station quite a long time ago.

15. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    July 12, 2007

16. AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo Legend

Aug 22, 2007
    I didn't know Premier ever included DVR. Did (does) it include HD as well?

17. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    No HD access package. Just the DVR service up until July 12th.

18. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    so I was notcing this charge on my bill also after having Premier now for over 2 years. I called D* a month ago and told them about it and the CSR told me that I should not be getting charged for the DVR Fee and said she would credit my account back for that month. Well I checked my recent activity again now and the DVR Fee is still there so I called D* again today and this time the CSR I talked to was very informed about the situation and she said that ALL Premier subscribers (doesn't matter if your a long time Premire customer or new to Premire) will get the DVR Fee charged to their account seperatly. However, she did offer to credit my account $5.99 per month for a year for the inconvenience.

My prgramming is as follows:

Premier
    ABC/CBS from NY - HD
    Playboy
    HD Access
    MLB EI + SF
    NBA LP
    NFL ST + SF

Not sure if my programming package is what prompted the credit. But anyhow maybe you guys can get the same deal.

19. rposly

rposly Mentor

Aug 10, 2007
    I had this same problem. I've had Premier with DVR for many years, and suddenly I got hit with a fee for DVR Service on my last bill. They told me that if you had Premier with a DVR before Oct. 16th, you're grandfathered in. I upgraded to an HR20 (from a standard Tivo) in August, so it didn't make sense. They realized the error and corrected it.

However, even though it worked out in my favor, this is really annoying. So if I had upgraded to the HR20 now - even though I've had Premier with a Tivo for years - I would suddenly have to start paying the DVR fee. So suddenly I have much less incentive to upgrade to the newest D* DVR when it comes out. Seems counterintuitive.

20. kschoon1

kschoon1 Cool Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    I have had Premier with DVR for at least 2 years. I recently also upgraded 1 of my units to an HR21 and then bingo was billed $5.95 for DVR service. When I called they removed the fee and stated I was grandfathered and should not have been billed. Then my old dvr gave me an "DVR not active" message. I called again and after multiple resets etc they got the service to work on that machine. I asked the CSR would this affect my bill and was told No. Then today when I look online at my bill I am being charged for both Premier at $99.99 and DVR plus $59.99.

I called and they said of course that was wrong and would remove the DVR plus BUT that I would be billed the $5.95. I explained again that I should be grandfathered. The CSR tried to state that since I am now using a DVR not a Tivo unit I would be billed. I politely told her that NO it should still be included. I did not change my programming package just equipment. She continued to tell me I was going to have to pay the fee however after much explaining she said she would try to remove it.

After being put on hold she came back and said it was removed and I wouldn't be charged. I fully expect when I get home from work however that my DVR service on my old receiver will not be working. AAARRRGGGHHH!!

On top of that when I upgraded there were multiple install issues and retention indicated they would give me a $5.00 credit for 12 months. That credit is no where to be found on my bill.