1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR pet peeve...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jimmerz, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1 of 33
    jimmerz

jimmerz AllStar

Jan 25, 2010
    Why is it that you can start a recording early and extend one longer but you can not start one late or end it early?

I am recording one show at ten. I wanted to record another show at ten but because LOST goes over by 2 minutes it creates a conflict, Grrr.

2. Mar 2, 2010 #2 of 33
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    This kinda annoys me too. I record a lot of smallville on HDNet and since its commercial free while playing, it ends almost 20 minutes before the hour, so if I could set it to end 15 minutes early I could save 25% of the space each episode takes up.

3. Mar 2, 2010 #3 of 33
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I am with you.

4. Mar 2, 2010 #4 of 33
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's annoying, but to me, my pet peeve is that shows are running over one to two minutes. I never timed it, are the actual shows longer, or is it 1-2 more minutes of commercials?

5. Mar 2, 2010 #5 of 33
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    What do you think? :lol:

6. Mar 2, 2010 #6 of 33
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Its just another way to cram more commercials in without reducing the amount of actual show further.

7. Mar 3, 2010 #7 of 33
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You could do a manual recording on that channel if space is really limited.

8. Mar 3, 2010 #8 of 33
    tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    Do you have to redo the manual recording time with DST?

9. Mar 4, 2010 #9 of 33
    cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    A problem with manual recordings is that then none of the episode information is shown in any of the program info screens.

The lack of a end early option (and many other options that are not included in the half dozen pre-defined choices) could easily be fixed and should be fixed by providing a "custom" option in addition to all the per-defined options. Selecting "custom" would take you to a screen where any number of hours and minutes could be selected, as well as a selection of before or after.

10. OCMike

OCMike Cool Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I would really like the Directv DVR Programming to determine how a show gets recorded according to the priority I set in the Series Manager such that I could get a partial recording of a lower priority show. And it should do this automatically (I think the Cox DVRs did this.)

If a higher priority show begins while a lower priority show is going over the hour by two minutes, then it should stop recording one and begin recording the other as it's a higher priority. This way you could get 60 min of the lower and 60 min of the higher (or if the priorities are reversed, 58 min of the lower and 62 min of the higher.)

The whole idea of not being able to record a program at all (or even 98% of a program) if there is a single minute overlap is not well-conceived IMO.

Thanks,
    Mike

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm moving this to the HD DVR forum.

12. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    I'm willing to bet network execs know that a one or two minute overrun will cause conflicts on DVRs and thats one of the reasons theyve started that stupid practice. The other reason being more time for commercials.

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That is a well-established fact that has been mentioned in several interviews with the networks.

14. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    I had this stupid problem this past Monday night. Law & Order moved to Monday nights and started with a 2 hour return from 9 to 11, conflicting with 24. Both conflicted with each other and as I was not about to miss 24 I cancelled L&O. Fortunately I had L&O to record on the kitchen DVR. Gotta blame the networks for this. Really ticked me off.

15. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Networks KNOW exactly what they are doing, they know full well they are causing problems and could careless about it, as they want to force you to maybe not watch a competitors show.
    One of the reasons I will always have an OTA option for recording of shows. Gives me just that little bit more flexiblity for doing things my way vs some network pain in the arse way.

16. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I dislike the soft-padding, I dislike using a software solution to get around a network decision.
    but I seemed to be in the minority on this.
    wish we could disable soft-padding, but just like the networks knowing what this does directv KNOWS we want this all the time no matter how we feel.

17. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Networks have been playing this game for YEARS, all the way back to the VCR days, it has just gotten worse with the ability to record 2-4 shows at the sametime. How is a provider supposed to help its users, to combat this practice by the Networks, without soft-padding of some sort?

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    provider should allow option to turn it off to prevent the very issue the OP mentioned.

19. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    OP
    is actually looking for even more function, he doesn't want it disabled. Because Lost always runs late, he has set his timer for Lost to run long, by 2 minutes, and is willing to sacrafice the 1st 2 min's of a different show to make this happen. What he can't do is sacrafice the 1st 2 min's of a show, without extra function built into softpadding. Other poster wants extra padding like I want, and end a show early to stop recording, the extra 20 or so minutes I don't need/want. I believe with direct you can set the default just like dish to be 0 for start early, and 0 for end late, and modify each timer with options.

20. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I have timed it and it has always been commercials, "coming next week", and credits.

It obviously adds more content during the normal time slot the the overlap is never anything I'd miss.

Mike