DVR Recommendations & Spectrum

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by charbear, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Jan 5, 2021 #1 of 11
    charbear

charbear New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Will make a couple of spectrum comments and then ask my question. We were DirecTV (Genie and mini) customers for 15+ years. Happy with most everything except the annual "negotiation" was a pain but always successful. Moved into a new place 6mos ago. HOA dues pay for Spectrum cable and internet so I'm locked in there. Previous owner had old Charter equipment. When we moved in, Spectrum sent two new cable boxes (which gave us 50+ more channels than the previous owner got. Internet was crappy. 60MB but the previous owner was lucky to get 15. Spectrum also sent a new modem and router and we immediately got 85 or so. New plan for the subdivision started 1/1/2020 guaranteeing 100MB. We typically get 225+ so no complaints.

We really miss the Genie and mini. Spectrum DVR seems lousy, very low capacity and expensive. Looking for the best DVR recommendation to cover 2-3 TV's to be used with Spectrum cable TV. So far, I don't see many mainstream choices. So far, I'm guessing one Tivo Edge (6 tuner, 2TB) and 1-2 Tivo Mini LUX may be the way to go.

Comments & suggestions from those more knowledgeable will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jan 5, 2021 #2 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The TiVo is probably your only alternative at this point. There are a couple of concerns though:

1. TiVo seems to be making faint rumblings about moving away from retail DVRs.
    2. The CableCARD mandate has been revoked so providers are not longer required to offer them (although many probably will).

The monthly pricing and lifetime service aren't what they used to be. There are some significant changes that happened last year in terms of per-DVR pricing as well as transferability of a subscription.

Because TiVo is relatively mum about what they are planning, some of the rumors may have turned out to be false but if you're considering a purchased, you should probably know what the truth is.

Is Spectrum's VOD as poor as their DVRs?

3. Jan 7, 2021 #3 of 11
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Spectrum still supports cable cards. If you go the Tivo route you'll loose spectrum on demand. On demand and Tivo only works with Verizon FIOS. Also be prepared for 49.99 service calls and 9.99 activation fee for them to ship you a replacement box even if its acting out. Be forwarded spectrum does not and will not give out discounts once the promo is over they would rather you leave. Atleast direct gives good discounts.. the spectrum dvr is crap at best. 4 tuners with a 1 to hdd and all kinds of bugs and firmware issues. Spectrum on demand works for me but it seems like everything else acts out. Oh yea and you'll need a tuning adapter with that cable card as well

4. Jan 7, 2021 #4 of 11
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    There has been speculation that tivo might stop making the ota tivo.. I live in an old twc area and even there whole home dvr was crap at best. The remotes interfered with the neighbors boxes. You could only set up recordings from the main box and not the minis. The spectrum world boxes are crap at best pq pixelizing audio out of sync it freezes up at times also.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  5. Jan 7, 2021 #5 of 11
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I would stay with direct over spectrum ;)

6. Jan 7, 2021 #6 of 11
    charbear

charbear New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Thanks all. I am stuck with Spectrum now as the bill is paid from the homeowners association so if I go with DTV or any other provider or even OTA, the money will be wasted. The HOA negotiates a 5 year fixed price for TV and internet. Spectrum VOD has been fine but I freaking hate commercials on VOD.

Questions in response to Krel's reply.

1. Why could I not just access Spectrum on demand via the App on my Smart TV>
    2. What do you mean I'll need a tuning adapter with the cable card? I thought I just plug the cable card into the Tivo Edge. No?

7. Jan 7, 2021 #7 of 11
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    A tuning adapter is a small set top box that gives your CableCARD-equipped TiVo box the ability to request switched digital video (SDV) channels. Like CableCARDs, tuning adapters are part of the digital cable system, so they must be issued by your cable provider.
    i dont know if you can access on demand via the spectrum app i am not a streamer i'm gonna hold on to a physical box until i can't no more;)
    the tuning adaptor is free the cable is no more than 3.00 a month.
    if you go the tivo route you will loose on demand as well.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  8. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    did you get the tivo??? i know that spectrum has been moving channels over from QAM to IP so that tivo might be a doorstop in a year or two. there has been some buzz going around that spectrum might stop supporting tivo's next july as theres to many issues with em a tech told me that

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  9. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    another thing is cable co's are moving channels away from QAM to IP. i hear people with spectrum or comcast have channels missing i think they moved em over to IP instead of leaving them on QAM. wich means that tivo will be a doorstop in time. i think tivo's dying a slow death thanks to streaming

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    TiVo still has broad application in the OTA space, but I agree entirely with respect to the cable space. 4K may represent the end of conventional TiVo devices.

11. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i agree!!! you can pick up a dual tuner tivo on amazon for 359.99 with a lifetime sub the 6 tuner cable version is the same price with a lifetime sub wich is cheap!!! and from what i have also been reading tivo isn't sending out anymore firmware updates for the cable version i dunno about the OTA one though.

Last edited: May 29, 2021