DVR recording "stopped"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by xtc, May 8, 2019.

1. May 8, 2019 #1 of 84
    xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    I have an HR54 and I've seen it a bunch of times now, where a scheduled recording ends up being only a partial recording and the reason the DVR gives is that it was "stopped" as if someone manually stopped a recording midway through it, but that is impossible in my case. What's up with this and can it be fixed?

2. May 8, 2019 #2 of 84
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Some programs, especially if there was a sporting event earlier in the day, push programming back but the Guide does not have time to change the actual time to record.
    If this sounds like it might be your problem, add some time to the end of the program.
    Example: I always add 1 hour to NASCAR and NHRA events. I do the same for my Sunday night programs that usually follow some type of ball game earlier in the day.

3. May 8, 2019 #3 of 84
    xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    Doesn't sound like my issue. The program was the Nuggets/Blazers NBA game on TNT. the program guide said it was going to be 2.5 hours, and I added an extra hour cause it was a live game like i always do, but this time it only recorded a total of 38 minutes and said someone "stopped" the recording in the home, but i was the only one home and only one that has access to the DVR. The DVR was fine, wasn't unplugged or restarted or anything. It was just totally random and this isn't the first time this has happened.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  4. May 8, 2019 #4 of 84
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a System Test on your HR54. If that reveals nothing perform a BiST (Built-in Self Test). Reset your HR54. When you see "Just a few more seconds.." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu. Follow the prompts.

5. May 8, 2019 #5 of 84
    xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    I can try that, but what will that do? I want to make sure nothing gets deleted?

6. May 8, 2019 #6 of 84
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Nothing will get deleted. A System Test and a BiST run diagnostics and reveal any issues with your HR54.

7. May 8, 2019 #7 of 84
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Any close neighbors that also have DIRECTV and their remote signals might be received by your box? You in a multifamily complex with a shared dish?

8. May 8, 2019 #8 of 84
    vinhmen

vinhmen Cool Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I used to get that message when I was getting random 775 errors. If a program was being recorded the error would stop it in its tracks and this message appeared. Your box may have randomly rebooted for some reason.

9. May 8, 2019 #9 of 84
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How do you know the 54 is not randomly rebooting? I have a 44 and never see this problem.

Rich

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Didn't we have a thread a few years ago about remotes causing such problems? Wouldn't the remotes have to be in IR to have any effect on other HRs in other homes? IR signals don't pass thru walls. Don't remember much about that thread but I don't see how a remote in RF could have an adverse effect on HRs in another home since they are programmed for a specific HR. In other words I can't see remotes causing the problem.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.
  11. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    no. private single family house and it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

12. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    but if a box randomly reboots, then it automatically starts recording as soon as it turns back on. And in my situation, it never rebooted anyway.

13. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    because i have had other programs record in the same time period without any interruptions.

14. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    I did a system test and everything was fine : "System Test Results All Items Ok"

Then I attempted to restart the receiver to perform the BiST test and got this warning message :
    "Tuner Conflict: Restart this receiver
    Once the process you've requested begins, the following scheduled events will be canceled : Trail Blazers @ Nuggets 7:30p 245 TNTHD
    Are you sure you want to cancel the event(s)?
    "

What's interesting about this error message is that it's incorrect. That game was YESTERDAY and that was the recording in question here that was only partially recorded and "stopped" by someone as it claims. So something bizarre is happening.

Anyway, I continued with the restart and then it gave me this message "Alerting network, please wait" and it began the reboot process.

I hit Select when you told me to and nothing happened, it just completely ignored it and rebooted the box as usual... Just in case, i tried another restart, hit the Select button several times this time around, and again, ignored it and rebooted as usual...

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The Alerting Network indicates you have a client online occupying a tuner

16. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    does that just mean the dvr is connected to the internet? why is it occupying a tuner? and is this related to the recording stopping?

17. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Need more info. Please list all of your DIRECTV equipment besides your HR54.

18. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    All i have is HR54 and C61K

19. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    It means the C61K is using one of the HR54 tuners.

compnurd likes this.
  20. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    Thanks, so how many total tuners do i have to record programming simultaneously?