1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR Replacement/Swap??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tuquala, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Tuquala

Tuquala Mentor

Jan 9, 2007
    Anybody have any experience in the last few years with replacing a DVR with one from another person (ie, son)??? I remember you used to be able to add or replace with an eBay item or from an installer without too much hassle from Directv. I know that was when we "owned" the unit!

Reason I'm asking, is my HR21 has lost the hdmi output, and needs to be replaced. Now my son has at least 4 HD DVR's that Directv has never sent boxes for returning, they seem to not care when he reminds them. A couple have been hanging around for at least 2 yrs. I thought I would try reasoning with them to be able to use one of his old units. They could save the shipping of one to me, the return of my old one, and I would even pay them their $19.95 or whatever for the "replacement"!!! How could they lose???

I know I'm going to hear that "it won't happen" from many, but I just thought I would bring it up in case someone has any tips to accomplish this!!!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Most likely your son's DVR is leased, not owned, so DirecTV will not let you activate it on your account. But you can call DirecTV, give them the DVR's "RID Number", and they can check their database to see if you can activate it on your account or not. You'll still need to get a new access card for it (~$20).

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    About a year ago, a 24-200 showed up on my doorstep. I didn't order it and still have no idea why it was sent to me. I called Retention and asked them what was going on and they didn't know either. I told them I had a bad 20-700 that was owned and asked if I could keep the 24-200, deactivate the 20-700 and have the 24-200 listed as owned. The Retention CSR said, "sure". That simple. Don't think I even had to buy an access card. Still kinda puzzled about the whole thing.

Rich

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I bought a used R-22 several years back from another DBSTalker. I called and had it activated and the access card assigned to my account. Was very easy.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You got lucky. You'll find many horror stories where folks buy used DirecTV equipment eBay or Craigslist, only to discover that DirecTV won't activate it because it's still active on someone else's account, or was stolen. Buyer beware.

6. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I bought it from someone here at DBSTalk, so they knew about deactivating, etc. But yes, I am sure I was fairly lucky in that regard.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Again, before you get royally screwed, the phone number (usually no waiting) for the access card folks is 877-887-7994. Call them BEFORE you make a purchase. I even call them before I sell an "owned" HR. Just to make sure nothing in their system got screwed up. I trust no other group at D* for this.

Rich

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've bought and sold HRs on this forum with no problems at all. But, I still make the call to the access card folks first.

Rich

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There's a few people here that have sold boxes that I might not bother, but not many. Of course they are also the ones that will put the RID in the post, so you don't have to ask them to provide it.

There are days I wish I'd bought VOS's HR44 though.

10. Tuquala

Tuquala Mentor

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks for the info so far, but I have been in the "purchase and call" situation before. My question is to see if anyone has successfully done what I asked about in the original post: get a DVR from my son (free!!!) and then been able to use without super hassles from DTV. His units were leased and DTV has not asked for them back at all.

I am a customer since 10/95 and it seems that us "oldies" don't get much good treatment from DTV. Any suggestions that would help with this, again are welcome and appreciated. I guess in my small mind, this would be doing DTV a favor, or at the least saving them some money!!!

Tanks agin!!!

Gerry

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It's certainly worth a phone call to see what your upgrade status is. Ask nicely for a Genie and you may be surprised it's better and easier than getting an older model activated.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    once a receiver is EOL, and DirecTV does not want them back, they can only be activated on the account the last came from. If they allow customers to pass receivers around, the next person could just call DirecTV and get that receiver upgraded or replaced if broken at little or no cost.