DVR scheduler on the iPhone

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by OconRecon, Jun 14, 2008.

1. OconRecon

OconRecon AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    Wow is this good on the iphone.

I can't figure out why D* doesn't go ahead and encode the icon when saving it on the home screen, but functionally it works well. It even allows me to select which DVR in my home I'd like to record on.

Just great.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mobile/

(Note: you'll need to set up your on-line DirecTV account as the site asks for a password on every visit. Very easy to do though at directv.com)

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    A webclip icon for the home screen would be nice...

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Agree. It works well on the iPhone. I also wish there was a webclip icon.

4. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    At least DBSTalk has a webclip icon :D

5. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    I hope they are working on an iphone native app :)

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Native app to do what?

7. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    With a native app I could have the program guide on my iPhone and just pick what I want to record.

8. OconRecon

OconRecon AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    Yeah, a program guide would be nice, but it seems a more robust web app would be better for more current info, right?

Just something simple like this would do for a home screen icon:

[​IMG]

9. smitty97

smitty97 New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    here's a way to select a webclip for any site that doesnt already have one:

madebysquad.com/iphone/

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    It was not designed for just iPhones/iPod Touch which is probably why there is not a web clip icon yet. It was made for all mobile devices like Blackberries, WMobile, etc.

11. gb33

gb33 Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    Yeah works great on my 8525 Pocket PC phone. Very useful and pretty quick. Wish it would distinguish the HD and non HD feed though for locals.

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Ok, I designed a gift for you all! This is a way to add the proper Directv Icon to your Home Screen Bookmark for Directv Mobile on the iPhone/iPod Touch. If you dont use this method you will get an ugly blank icon when you bookmark Directv Mobile's site.

Steps:
    -On your iphone or iPod touch go to www.techislands.com/dtv (or techislands.com/dtv for short)
    -Bookmark this page to your homescreen (+ sign)
    -You now will have the icon on your homescreen
    -Next time you press this icon, it will redirect automatically to Directv Mobile!

Technical Explaination:
    It is a simple page that just has a link to directv mobile, but it has the proper Safari Mobile icon for directv so you dont have to do any weird hacks or anything. The first time you visit it (and bookmark it!) it sets a simple cookie that lasts for 2 weeks. This will automatically direct you to Directv Mobile and save you a click! You will get the page with the link showing up every 2 weeks though and have to click the link through, this will reset the cookie for another 2 weeks.

Can I try this on my PC?:
    Yes! If you want to see it in action but dont have an iPhone/iPod Touch yet or dont have yours handy, click the link above and it will take you to the first page with the link where it sets the cookie. Then come back and try the link again and this time it will redirect you right away to Directv Mobile!

Are you stealing my login!:
    No, No need to worry about privacy, Directv Logins, etc. This is a very simple redirector script and does not track you. It simply hands you off to the proper Directv Mobile URL once you have a chance to set the cookie/bookmark properly with the proper image.

Fix if you forgot to bookmark and now it is redirecting!:
    Note that if you go to the url, then click through to Directv Mobile WITHOUT bookmarking it first, you will not be able to bookmark it as the next time you visit that url it will redirect you right away. The way around this if you need to set the bookmark is to clear your cookies in Safari:

Then revisit the techislands URL and remember to bookmark it this time!

What can I do to thank you?:
    If you like, take a look on my site www.techislands.com while you are over there. I have a bunch of iPod Touch Cases that will soon be reviewed along with other goodies! and of course, let me know how you like this redirector thing for Directv Mobile!

Let me know how it works!

13. smitty97

smitty97 New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I searched for "abc" in channels, it shows both WPVI-6 and WPVI-6 [HD] (phily)

14. OconRecon

OconRecon AllStar

Sep 19, 2006

Now that is sweet! Works great and the link preceeding the D* site is snappy and worth the extra tap.

Thanks!!

15. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Very nice!! Thanks! :)

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    A neat feature to add would be setting a cookie, so that after their first visit where they bookmark the page, choosing the icon on the home screen would send them directly to the DVR scheduler without having to click the link.

17. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    Or some sort of automatic forward?

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The problem with an automatic forward, unless it's not activated on the first visit, would be that you wouldn't have a chance to bookmark the site before it redirected. That's why I suggested the cookie idea.

19. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    ahhhh... yeah... Good call... I'm going to go with "I'm tired" on that one... :lol:

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I'm a web developer, actually getting ready to work on an iPhone project next month, so little things like that are always on my mind. ;)