1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR Tivo/HR Fee

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by joshjr, May 7, 2009.

1. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I am confused. I called the office of the vice president of customer serivce to ask if I bought a Tivo 10-250 and added it to my account what all I needed to do. The lady said add it to my account and order an access card and they would turn on the Tivo DVR service but that even though I have the Plus HD DVR package and DVR service is included in it I would be billed for a Tivo DVR fee on top of that.

Anyone out there have a HR and Tivo DVR on the same account with the DVR fee included in the package that can elaborate on how they are charged?

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    I can't believe that is true.

3. Steverehk

Steverehk Cool Member

Dec 24, 2006
    I have 4 HR20s and 1 HR10-250 and all are covered by the "included DVR charge".

Don't know if it matters that I started with the HR10-250, and added the others?

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    A little off topic here but do you use any of those HR20's or the 10-250 for OTA? If so are any of the HR20's-100? How does the ATSC tuners in the Tivo compare to the HR20?

5. Steverehk

Steverehk Cool Member

Dec 24, 2006
    I have a HR20-700 and HR20-100 in the basement hooked up to the antenna and those are the boxes that I did the most experimenting with OTA.

I tried for a while, especially once I lost the national PBS feed, but the terrain doesn't seem to support receiving it with an attic antenna, and it looks doubtful with a rooftop one as well. So, I only occaisionally watch OTA for local news.

All the channels that are in range and appropriately powered come in on the HR20s. I even get another DMA if I aim opposite the Harrisonburg towers, but OTA isn't worth the hassle at this point.

I only use the HR10-250 as a backup for a few shows like 24 or Survivor and channels like BBCA that don't come in HD. When I first got DirecTV, I was in the SF Bay Area and used OTA all the time which worked great.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You should only pay ONE DVR fee per account, regardless of whether they're old Tivos or newer DirecTV DVRs.

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    TiVo or DVR does not matter for the cost.

8. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I thought so to thats why I was shocked when the lady said other wise.