DVR to hard drive

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by barb1236, Aug 14, 2009.

1. barb1236

barb1236 New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Have a dish dvr VIP622 and bought a 250g hard drive to record programs on that are recorded on the dvr. The dvr doesn't recognize the hard drive. Strange because I can put in a flash drive and it recognizes that I have put something in the usb port.

What must I do to get the hard drive recognized by the dvr and then record from the dvr to the hard drive?:(:rolleyes:)

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You have to call Dish and have that option added (and pay the $40 fee to do so).

3. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    It recognizes a flash drive because you can put pictures off a flash drive onto the DVR's drive.

Also the EHD has to be reformatted (if this is a used drive with FAT or NTFS it will have to be wiped and reformatted to Dish' specifications). This will happen automatically after you agree to pay the one time $39.95 fee. The 800# to call shows up on the screen saver as one of the messages that float across the screen when the 622 is turned off.

Not all EHD's are compatible with a ViP DVR. I use a Seagate 1.5TB (which is larger than they recommend but it works). A compatible drive has to be fast enough to playback programming directly off the drive. It also has to be a single platter drive (i.e. not spanned). If you record mainly HD programming a 250gb drive will fill up before you know it.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    "It also has to be a single platter drive " -> quite incorrect.

Should be stated as single LUN drive, ie one spindle type.