1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR to recognize Router

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by agnerc, Mar 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. agnerc

agnerc New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Has anyone successfully configured their router to allow the DVR to access the internet?
    I have my DVR hard wired to my router and I have lights on both devices. I have rebooted both numerous times. The DVR does not allow you to type in any DNS or IP info.

Any suggestions for the router?

Thanks,

Chris

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Access the Internet how? The 722 just DHCPs an IP address from the router, and then can contact Dish for online services instead of dialing out.

Sounds like there's something wrong with your router.

3. fryguy503

fryguy503 Legend

Sep 3, 2009
    iirc E* rcvrs do not allow the specifying of Static IP/DNS info. It only allows DHCP which all resi routers by default have enabled. E* will not assist you with Troubleshooting your network issues.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Yes - you must leave DHCP server turned on for your router, even if it is for only 1 client.

5. fryguy503

fryguy503 Legend

Sep 3, 2009
    If you must have the DHCP server off what I would suggest is enable it, Then setup MAC filtering that will prevent any unauthorized access ( assuming this router is also wireless ) if its not there is no reason to have the DHCP svr off.

6. agnerc

agnerc New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    DHCP is enabled on my router.

My DVR needs to access the internet so I can download shows from Dish On Line.

AS for the DVR, there is no way for me to configure it, it is DHCP and that is it, it either sees the router or it doesn't.

Chris

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    If DHCP is on, but your DVR isn't picking up an IP address, then the problem is either with the router, the cable, or the Ethernet port on the DVR. Plug a computer into the cable that you plugged the DVR into and see if you can get online that way.

8. agnerc

agnerc New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I will try the suggestion on plugging the computer into the cable.

I do know that I have network lights on the router and DVR.

Are there any settings in the router that would prevent the DVR from getting an IP?

Chris