1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR Upgrade/replacement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chdoud, Oct 31, 2018.

1. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    I have a HR44 and OLD HR21 that for years were running of the same dish. I built a new workshop about 300 feet from my house. In it I moved my HR21and put up a new dish since it was easier and I did not have to purchase underground RG6 and dig up my yard. I called about upgrading my HR21 and the CSR told me she would send a mini. But I do not think that will work because a mini must be cabled with the HR44.

Is that correct???

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Call back, she didn't understand.

Rich

3. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Yes I thought so... I talked to her for 20 minutes and it sounded like she kept reading the script.

Do you thing I could get a new HS17 since my new TV is UHD and keep my HR44 since I have the other HR on a separate dish??

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    AT&T/DIRECTV only allows one Genie per account.

5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    With your 2 dish setup, an HS17 is NOT an option since DirecTV will only allow minis on an account with an HS17.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Call them and tell them your 21 died. You'll get a 24 as a replacement w/o a contract extension.

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    And when they start asking things like "is it plugged in"? just keep saying it's dead and won't boot up. Otherwise it will take a while for them to go through the q & a about your HR21.

8. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    That was my thought this evening... Was hoping to keep the HR44 as a second unit, because it is so nice and fast. But the HR21 is so slow it is sometimes painfull

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    While the HR24 is a nicer unit than the HR21, as long as your HR21 is working satisfactorily I would not even worry about getting it replaced.

However, as far as an "upgrade" is concerned, as far as DirecTV is concerned the only upgrade path is Genie or mini. You can't have two genies so the only other option is a client (mini) for an "upgrade".

The path to an HR24, if you wish to pursue it, is as others have noted above. Tell them the HR21 is dead, it won't power up, won't boot up, you've checked the power cord and it is plugged in, and you've tried plugging it into a different outlet, and no matter what, it won't start up. That "should" get you an HR24, but could get you a mini, so be careful. Explain a mini won't work, but don't bother explaining why to the CSR, they won't understand.