DVR Will Not Power On

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Coastal, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Coastal

Coastal New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I had a surprise this morning when my HR44 would not power on this morning.

The remote (RC71) would not turn it on (it would turn on my TV) the normal light on the remote flashed when the button was pressed. I changed the batteries anyway, no change.

I checked on the HR24 to see if it could see the recordings on the HR44, nope no recordings from the HR44. It looked like the HR44 was completely off, not on the normal standby.

I checked the power cord, moved plug from the UPS to a wall outlet, no change.

It seemed completely dead. I checked the DirecTv site for troubleshooting suggestions for DVR will not turn on. I had already tried their recommendations.

I finally fixed the problem by pushing the red reset button. That did it and it went through normal boot up process. No errors were displayed on the self-test. The remote worked normally, all recordings and configurations were there.

I called Customer Service. No additional troubleshooting suggestions were provided. The only thing they said they could do would be to replace the HR44.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had a similar problem with my 44 a couple years ago. It would shut down and only a hard reset would get it running. Happened quite often. A couple updates later that stopped. Since then it hasn't happened. In my case I could blame the software. If I were you I'd get the 44 replaced. I waited because I had 11 other HRs on my system and had no concerns about losing recordings. You obviously have a problem with the 44, nothing you can do but wait out a couple updates or get it replaced. Clearly, replacement is the path of least resistance.

I have a 24-500 that's doing the same thing. It just shuts down and becomes unresponsive, just like the 44 did. I"ve tried everything including forcing a download of the present National Release. Nothing helps. Fortunately, with the 24-500, I can wait. I'm kinda curious to see how long this will go on.

Rich

Coastal likes this.
  3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would try to replace it to HR54 as DTV treat HR44 and HR54 as just "Genie"... hint - talk politely to tech for that, when he will come to replace your HR44

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a BIST (Built-in Self Test) on your HR44. Reset your HR44. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BIST menu. Follow the prompts.

Coastal likes this.
  5. Coastal

Coastal New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Good to know that someone else has had the same problem. I was also concerned of impending failure.

I'm thinking of getting it replaced also, but some family is traveling and I hope she can get back to watch her recordings before I ask DTV to replace the HR44. Of course there is a risk it could fail before then. Meanwhile I have additionally started setting some more important recordings on the HR24 as a backup.

6. Coastal

Coastal New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    The BIST test is a good idea. I had forgotten about that option. I will give it a try tomorrow morning when things are more quiet and the HR44 is not being used.
    I will update with the results.

7. Coastal

Coastal New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    UPDATE: I tried to enter the BIST test 3 times but the diagnostic menu did not appear. After pressing Select when the "Just a few more seconds..." appeared the screen went black for a couple seconds and proceeded to running the receiver self check.

The good news is the HR44 did not require the red Reset button to turn on this morning. I think I'll wait to see if the problem reoccurs and to work on clearing out (watching) some of the important recordings.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If the 44 doesn't crash constantly waiting is a good thing to do. I waited and my 44 is still running well. If you get a couple updates and it keeps crashing then get it replaced.

Rich

Coastal likes this.
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    BTW, how full is the HDD on the 44? The "normal" capacity.

Rich

10. Coastal

Coastal New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    It currently has 76% free. It was 87% free last week before travel caused some recordings to pile up.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was just curious. I don't see anything about your problem that could be blamed on the HDD. I know the drives on my 44 and 24 had nothing to do with the HRs shutting off randomly.

Rich

12. Coastal

Coastal New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Yeah, I do not really think the shut off has anything to do with the HDD either. It seems more like an intermittent electrical fault, power supply or circuit board. I have been using DirecTv since the mid 90s (part of the beta test program) and I have never had a receiver or DVR shut down and require pressing the reset button. I have probably just been lucky.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Pretty sure it's not a power supply problem. I've only had this problem twice and I really don't think it's anything but a software problem. I tried reloading the NR and that did just what I thought it would do...nothing. If this problem is not bothering you to the point where it's gonna drive you nuts I'd suggest waiting for a new NR to come down. See if that fixes the problem and if it doesn't I'd get it replaced.

Rich

Coastal likes this.
  14. Coastal

Coastal New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I agree, I'm just going to wait and see. I'm temporarily also recording a few shows on the HR24 also as well as the HR44, just in case.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions & replies.

Rich likes this.