1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR without DirectTV Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vanduse1, Oct 6, 2010.

1. vanduse1

vanduse1 Cool Member

Jul 3, 2007
    I apologize if this is a common question but I couldn't fine it with my searches. I am considering putting my DirecTV service on "Vacation/Summer" hold for a few months while I won't be home. Will this disable my ability watch previously recorded content? If so, would the easy fix be to unplug the coax prior to the change in service.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If you unhook the coax before you suspend it, the box will remain active for a while. You will still be able to watch your recordings, but eventually the authorization will expire and you wont be able to do anything.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    If it's still connected to the satellite and phone/internet you will lose the ability to watch your recordings until you restart service.

So yes, if you disconnect the receiver from the coax and phone/internet you will be able to watch previously recorded stuff.

I won't last very long. After it can't "phone home" after a certain amount of time it will not allow access any more. I had one disconnecte for about 4 weeks and it still let me watch recording so I don't really know how long it lasts.

Mike

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I wonder if you refreshed it via the website if it would have a longer time to run without any connections.

Like if each refresh was good for 4 weeks. If you unplugged it 3 weeks after the signal came, you would only have a week to use it, but if you just refreshed it, you would get the whole month?

I have no idea, just a thought.

5. Spicoli

Spicoli This is only a test...

Jun 7, 2006
    I don't think that would work. Your service is "suspended".

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Sorry, I meant 15 minutes or so before you disconnected everything and called to have it suspended.